Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Soy Lecithin

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Apr 29, 2012.

1. My coconut oil is already made and it is going to be liquid and not hash. I got the lecithin granules late so my question is there a way to add the lecithin to a few ounces of oil before capping the batch. What ratio lecithin to oz of oil? Will I need to mildly reheat it?

Thanks

2. I'm not entirely sure on this one. You should be able to add it still, even with no reheat, but you might want to agitate it, by stirring vigorously. Since the lecithin basically disperses the solute evenly throughout the solution.*I think* I don't think anyone will be able to answer really aside from BadKittySmiles, PM her.

3. It's not easy trying to find a ratio after the oil is made. I did something like you suggested. I used about 2 ozs of oil and added about 1/2 teaspoon of the lecithin granules. I crushed the granules as best I could with my stone age tools and added it. I stirred, of course, but I also put the container in a hot water wash in order to warm it gently. This along with agitation seems to have worked for now. Much of the lecithin has been incorporated and the color has already under taken getting that darker look. I think this will work . Thanks for your help. :smoke:

4. I have good news to report on my lecithin experiment and then another question that I hope BadKatSmiles responds to. I got my lecithin granules later than expected. Every time I went out I would forget it. I had been planning to add lecithin to some things even before I discovered this website. Anyway, I finally get the stuff but my oil's already 3 days finished. I had wondered if I could add the lecithin to some oil caps and to a gentle warm water bath to stir up enough heat. I didn't think to go online and ask what that heating point would be plus I couldn't find a ratio level of oil and lecithin at that stage. Musta got it ok because 2 of those babies nodded me out in the morning and I have a huge tolerance. I've tried to live oil, too, and it's potent, too, but 2 caps is usually smooth sailing time, not wakie time.

The next question is about whether to add the lecithin to this particular recipe or whether it maybe should be left alone since it is already potent. This item is what I call a honey elixir because I originally do a cold extraction using freezing Everclear and freezing your pot for 24 hours as a decarb instead of heat. The freezing causes the tris to fall off the buds and allows for almost immediate melting into the solvent, Everclear. After the extraction and filtering, the alcohol is boiled out SAFELY by about half so that the thc concentration in the liquor is nearly doubled. So far, nothing but the alcohol in the pot reducing. When you get to the point where you've reduced the "tincture" is what I guess you call it. When you reach this point, you add about the same amount of honey as you have Everclear left. For example, if you use an ounce of top bud - this is a gourmet item - then you would use about a quart of Everclear to extract. Now you've created your tincture and your ready for the real fun to start. Of course, strain out your weed first with some cheesecloth, but not too much and then throw it in the freezer to use with your nest batch. You can't get all so you might as well use whats left in the next batch and so on.

Here's where my lecithin question comes in. I would assume that at this stage I would add the lecithin to the honey because you still get the gentle heat and it would integrate while the alcohol is reducing out. My problem is that I already know how the lecithin effects oil caps just from my simple experiment. While I want to get full potency for my products, I don't want my guests passing out on me. This elixir used alone as a cap might work, but a lot of these recipes call for Honey, which in his case is the elixir. These are honey recipes and many are dessert and appetizer items and are VERY good (Baklava shortly, I hope). I'm thinking that the lecithin should be left from those types recipes and mainly used in more indivualized products. Please give me your ideas on this. Probably by tomorrow we'll see.:smoke:

5. A previous post on another thread has convinced me to add lecithin to this elixir batch. It's being processed as a "tears" type of hash oil and taken all the way down. My previous attempt at this style elixir was planned to immediate reconstitute the hash oil with Everclear then reduce it down to just the cannabis honey. Lecithin might have helped on that batch since it was done in a different style and may not have been as strong as the first version. This time I took a half ounce of great buds with my versions of cold extraction and took it all the way down to the hash oil. I had no intention of trying to make something else out of it. My intentions were to see just how good and useful it really was. Unfortunately, it was coagulation pretty quickly and making it difficult to scrape up and get into a bottle quickly. Didn't have razor. I took a small chemistry spatula and put a couple of specs in a 0 capsule and took it before trying to smoke or anything. I took it before my coffee and by the time the coffee was ready just a few minutes later, I was starting to fly. I scraped as much as I could for a sample but decided to turn what left back into an elixir although it wouldn't be as strong as before because I scraped so much from it originally. So I'm going to add the lecithin to this known weaker batch and see if it helps pick it up a bit.

6. I read a question on another thread but can't remember the thread which is why I don't know the answer, I guess. If you are using the crockpot version to make liquid coconut oil, not hash, do you add the lecithin before or after the strain? I haven't seen lecithin granules dissolve very well and it seems that adding it with the weed might be a waste of money.