Southern Oregon Advice :D

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by ImBurnt, May 4, 2012.

1. So I live on a nice piece of property in southern oregon(Ashland area), there is a nice jungle area in my back yard with no houses around and its surrounded in Black berry bushes, it's almost perfect.

I've never grown before, but I have some nice sativas I wanted to experiment with. I am loaded with growing supplies, I have been reading threads on here. Just kinda wanted to post a thread and get some specific response as far as southern oregon goes.

When is the right growing season..? How big will they get? Any tips..? Will it be decent weed the first time I grow?

Great forums, can't wait to get active. Thanks a ton:)

2. Go check out tommyarmour grower from your neck of the woods. good luck

3. Saw some of his threads....interesting...so I should plant these babies in a pot like in June? Or is that too late? The weather here is really funky right now...like rain/95 weather every other day...you never know what's coming...

4. wait till late May- early June IME

already got em going right?

Coos County.
    Wharf

5. No I don't, and I feel like an idiot for not having them going yet. Do I need to freeze em, put em in banana peels or any of those tricks? Or is it too late for me to start? Also, they can't stay outside while sprouting right? Or can I build a nice little home for them?

6. #6 CL4P-TP, May 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2012
    umm all of the above or none of the above :eek::(

you can start seed June 1st and be alright. just don't expect huge yields(sufficient, just not "bumper"). I'll be starting some more seeds for outdoors today ..matter of fact.

I would start em indoors then set em out .. the better treatment they get early on, the better they will react ( and higher chance of females) when set outside into the elements.

if you want to go thru a bunch of germination steps, don't let me stop you. just it isn't really needed. I just soak overnight and either drop into grow medium( soil, rockwool, starter plugs, etc..) or toss em into a damp paper towel over night (this gets em to crack generally ..but not actually have to play around with a baby tap root) then into grow medium. Dixie cups work great for seedlings

Fredies should, right now, have lots of seeds starting mixes ( if you don't already have a mix). normal soil tend to be too "hot"

7. I got plenty of supplies. must I keep them inside? I really have no where inside to keep them...I could keep them in the dark for 24...but no way to get it 12hrs of light...

8. Then if you can build,or already have, a cold frame you will be rockin

lots of plans for cold frames on line.. anything from a wooden and glass pane set up that can last for years, to a few pieces of PVC and a 10X10 piece of 4 mil poly that breaks down each year.

what's your nights getting to over there (we're still in the 40s)

9. Anywhere from high 30's to high 50's....Allll depends on what hormones mrs.weather decided to inject today.

10. okay

worst case scenario . you get to move em inside at night till it gets steadily above the mid 50s( 3..maybe 4 weeks, takin a guess.) . Otherwise you run a pretty high chance of stunting growth.

EDIT : ohh shoot .. hey welcome to GC ( sorry i missed that part..) !!!!!

11. Haha, thanks mate. Yeah I have a cold frame already built up, maybe we should take this to PM? Or not? I just feel like a fool. I've grown TONS of things in the past, all different types of fruit/veggies, and I've smoked enough bowls to make a pile of ash as big as 9/11....But I still know NOTHING about the different stages of growing bud, OR the fertilization process as far as feminized, etc.

Care to spare a few more minutes? :/

12. i'd like to throw in a little bit o' something, from a gardening prospective. . . rotting berries on the vine/stem are a perfect host for grey mold aka the stuff that causes bud rot.

13. yeah cool

14. Eeeeek!

This area isnt surrounded by berries...its just a foresty area with some other small trees and really moist soil...No berries right where im going to be planting these babies...will they be fine if i keep them out of contact? :/

15. The mold spore will carry in the air in the breeze over some distance. Its just apart of nature. You may luck out and find an agricultural spray which may help prevent grey mold. I can't say one thing or another about it having never used it. But there was a guy on here that swore by it.

From what i understand its the same stuff people will spray on roses and perennial mums since both have dense flowers.

One warm wet tropical depression is all grey mold needs to proliferate, especially during fruiting season.

I wish you the very best of luck with your endeavors.

16. Thanks Loui.

17. Im from Eugene bud and I grow outdoors every year and my rule of thumb has always been to put them outside a few hours a day for like 10 days to get them use to the outdoors then mid may, dig some 3X3X3' holes, fill them w good soil and good soil amendments like blood meal, bat guano, worm castings, let them sit and break down, then transplants around may 15. Down in Ashland you got a little hotter weather, but its the same lighting times. just make sure they get GOOD sun for atleast half the day. mornin or evenin. Middle of the day hot summer southern OR sun could burn em. Them BOOM asround deer season in october youll have 10 foot tall monsters. If you need them shorter top them end of june and they will get bushier and shorter. hope this helps on your original question, had to help an Oregon boy...