South Florida Outdoor Grow Questions

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Jonat15, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Hi guys, how are u guys doing, i had a couple questions about a new outdoor grow. I am in south florida where its mostly hot and sunny all year long. I was wondering when was the best time to start my seeds off for an outdoor grow during the florida seasons. Also i was wondering if i start my seed now(mid february) when will they start flowering?? Is it possible to flower outdoor plants before the 12-12 day night period? I heard that in south florida without a winter season you can grow year round, is this true?? Can anyone give me the time frames for growing year round in florida and about which months the plant will b in veg and when it will be in flo?

Thank you very munch in advance for the responses and look forward to all your advice :D

2. I live live in south fl. Too. And no we do not have a year round season. We still get frosts. You want to put your seeds in the ground sometime in late march /earlyApril down here.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I was wondering how long an outdoor plant takes to flower, and if there are any factors that alter it such as daylight hours? And if i start a grow in January when would the plant flower comapred to starting it in august. I know that the good period should be to start in april and harvest in august but i wanna try going out of season in the futur. Thanks for all the help, its GREATLY appreciated :)

4. as of right now, the sun is up for about 11 hours. This will send the plants straight into flower once they start growing. The problem is, in about a month the days start to get longer which will change the photoperiod of the plants and make them want to re-veg. This alone can cause a lot of stress and cause whatever females you have to hermie.

Also, if the plants go straight to flower, they will not get as big which means that they will not produce nearly as much as they would with a longer vegetation stage.

5. Thanks for the advice :), but would i be able to cut the plant down before it would re-veg? Is it too hard to notice when the plant is re-vegging or is this possible??
    Thanks again for the help everyone

6. You also need to take into account the surroundings of the plant. If you plant it in a forest, with tall trees to the east and west, it may only get 12 hours of light in an 18 hour light cycle. Another thing you can do is reduce the amount of light by setting up a wall or move it to a wall so that it casts a shadow over the plant at the desired hour. I've never tried because I always planted in September but I think the theory works.

7. #7 Shiva Blaster, Apr 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2013
    Dude, give it a rest. No one on here is going to agree to meet/live/grow with a random dude with 3 posts on an internet forum. If you are such a fantastic grower, get your shit together and get your own place to grow and stop being a heat-score all over the forums. You probably need a new place to live because you got your grow busted and got kicked out of your current residence......no one here wants to sign up for that. Proper growers zip their traps and keep things on the down-low, they don't go trolling for room-mates on internet forums bragging about how great they are. Give it up, it's not gonna happen.

8. bro start in August after the major hurricanes and storms. trust me I've been there lol you don't wanna have to stake branches for 40-100 mph winds or lose any hard work. depending on the strain it'll be finished around thanksgiving.

9. i have a make shift indoor 250 watt CFL+135w LED UFO tent set up, but iv been taking them outside introduced them gradually, like started on that shady part of patio then moved, but moving back in forth, and keeping over 12 hours of light, is ok right? i jus wanna harvest this harsh sun, its so strong in south FL! besides in 69 and not a cloud in the sky right now.. is this ok to move them from outdoors when sun goes down, to closet with CFL+LED? seems ok so far.. 

10. Switching between natural and artificial stresses the plant

11. Ya late march early april here in fl depending on strain itll finish around sep oct nov. Somewhere in those 3 months..

its almost time for the season to start this year!!

12. Oh ya dont start till the end of march it WILL fuck ur plants up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. #13 buckethead129, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2015
    So I sold my 135W Full spec led. Switching to outdoor.. March 26th(first day longer than 12 hrs) . one that had some height from an LED/CFL tent.was transplanted outdoor, n one was germinated fuLLY outdoors, after the initial shock, n almost 1' gangly, oxygen starved plant is doing AMAZING.. Old shoots are opening closer to bottom, I'm LSTng it as well by tying it down, amazing results.. Kinda mixed up my seeds.. This one is without a doubt close to pure sativa or like 90-10indica :) . Long skinny leaves, tall slim growth,new bud sites opening everyday along the one that I thought was DEAD. Bringing it outdoors (after shock recovery) saved that one from my worst to best
    😯😯👑⏰⏰⌛⏳:) :O

14. I'm interested to see how your outdoor grow works, I've considered checking out an outside grow but thought with the trouble of getting seeds and the weather my plant would die quickly without water for even a day! Summer time in south fla I think a shadier the better spot during hard core summer grows? Say 75% sun or so??

15. #15 Exhazer, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2015
    HELL NO. dont do it...Your first few weeks should be around 70% or less, then when your flowering it should be between 40-65% depending on how far along you are for your best yields.

I used to live in florida and me and my friend were just talking about how florida is going to be a indoor grow state. Its just hot all year around your surrounded by ocean so its always going to be humid as fuck, To bad florida doesnt have mountains.

I should note that you guys probably have every pest in the book lol. so fuck that mess i would stay indoors just for that reason alone.

16. #16 buckethead129, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2015

why? in 3 or 4 weeks iv seen more progress on these babies then what 2 months takes indoor with CFL/LED mix.. i literally jus put one outside cuz i was so frustrated with it not growing right, all gangly n oxygen starved.. within 3 weeks its bushing out like a mofo, as well as the one i sprouted out there, she's coming along at a much faster rate then iv seen in my past indoor grows, PS- the good thing about this part of florida is the reptiles. they eat most of the nasty insects that will eat YOUR green.. they won't touch it. no bug damage visible yet.. don't be so negative man!! ur killin my vibe! an accident turned into a beautiful FEMALE plant.. (feminized) cheese strain. looks to for sure, be sativa dominate..

17. #17 buckethead129, Apr 3, 2015
    PPS, considering the one is well more far along in its growth than the others, i can see pre flowers... pistils,pistils,pistils! I'm trying out LST method where you tie tip of plant down, to almost make it on its side, it will grow back straight like nothing happened(repeat if you choose to do like a double helix shape grow lol.. the cannabis will just sense its been knocked over by wind or wildlife, and release more auxins, giving you more TOPS!! branches that would normally be the sides that get little light, now ALL  get direct sun, n the buds essentially ALL become tops.. did my first tie like a week or so ago, its responding GREAT! all on a plant i was ready to give up on... little TLC goes a long way [​IMG]

18. #18 StoneyBaloney777, Apr 3, 2015
    Sounds like you have it figured out @bucket heck the outdoor grow sounds like the way to go from what you had happen with your plant.

What is a good seed for outdoors in Florida? Looked on attitude / nirvana most say the outdoor auto flower will only produce up to 90 days? Seems rather short..

19. #19 buckethead129, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2015
    sativa doms. seem to to do well down here... most of the local shit is mostly haze n other sour varieties now that i think bout it..., smoking a bowl of some kinda haze strain now [​IMG] , as for the seeds their supposed to be Blue Cheese, however BluChs is like pure indica, mine are DEF sativa dominate.. so I'm sure the person i got it from made up a well known name  for me in a quarter i bought, funny thing is, the bud was awesome, just like 15 seeds in a quarter tho, maybe more.. ALSO funny, I'm pretty sure their feminized, i have not grown ONE of those seeds yet that turned out to be a boy ! first attempt 6 for 6 females!! i actually had to kill some cuz i only anticipated growing one or two (with my space n lighting) but omg this florida sun, what its done to it in 3 weeks or so is verrry impressive, using fox farms grow big right now only as nutes (and I'm ashamed to say the LITTLEST bit of a Miracle Grow type 15-30-15 fert- needs that nitrogen...'grow' big has very little.. one in its final 3 gal pot (the biggy Lst'd one) 1 small one (still seedling pretty much) in 1 gal pot, other in very small plastic starter pot.. dude the sun is where its at if u got the privacy to do so

ps - im not stupid, (the seedling get no  nutes. for now) ill be  adding JUST the GROW BIG to those though till their at least 5 nodes, I'm on the beginning of 3rd set on those [​IMG] i love to go to work all day, then come home n literally see a change, that sun boy.. specially where I'm at? gotta watch out cuz humidity can get pretty bad in later summer months..as for now, full steam ahead.. thank you guys.. one day/ problem at a time [​IMG] 

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. how does humidity stop people from growing? i been growing in a humid climate at 37.5 n and i have had harvests ever year since i started some with bud rot and some with zero bud rot. its all about strain choice in the humid areas and a little prevention sprays. bugs are easy to control i have them here with everthing from a-z it seems. there is no better tasteing weed then grown outdoors organically imo indoor lights cant replicate the sun in terms of flavor.