Sourcing Organic Soil Mix Components

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jerry111165, Jan 23, 2014.

1. It should be sold by volume - not weight anyhow.

J

2. Ya I weesh^^ heh

3. #63 Chunk, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2014

For those in the SW Washington / Portland, OR area...........you can get a 5 gallon bucket of either coarse, medium or fined screened castings for $8-!6.00 at:

Northwest Redworms

This guy is the real deal and is as fair as they get. LD and I have dealt with him for years. A 5 gallon bucket is about 2/3 cu/ft. He also sells leaf mold by the yard. :ey:

4. I have a cast iron skillet that is used for nothing but cornbread. Never tried blue corn meal though. White and yellow, same with grits.

Spent $3 to find out Polenta is just a fancy name for grits.

Wet

But as a nutritional amendment, don't get polenta (grits).  That shell is loaded with nutrients.

6. Down here, grits are a food group, not a nutritional supplement. LOL

Wet

7. http://www.montroseworms.com

I think this place was mentioned, but didn't notice a website. They have EWC, vermicompost and sell worms.

http://www.naturesfootprint.com

This place had pumice and grd. Other things as well, only ordered those two items though. Not local to me, but it had what I needed. Hopefully I can get these locally soon.

Cliffrose Gardens in Cortez has quite a few organic amendments. Trying to get him to add some items like grd and more aerators.

DHL Garden Supply in Durango also carries some organic items. It's a hydro shop though, so....

Build a soil has been mentioned already, but I was able to source everything I needed from the locations above down here in the SW CO!

8. Thanks for the resources GtG!

j

9. I just wanted to reiterate, after talking around and getting the inside scoop from other Colorado growers, I have come to the conclusion that the richest compost in Colorado may arguably be the Buffaloam buffalo compost.  Everyone vouches for it (who has tried it) and a local soil microbiologist has checked it out under a microscope and has said the amount of microbial life in the compost destroys any other composted manure he's worked with.  Just thought i'd throw that out there.

10. Hummmmm.....you're in SW CO???  I'm up in Vallecito.....the hydro store in Durango....prices thru the roof!

~Sundance~    I have found nothing in my area....everything needs to be shipped in....Agrowinn rock dust/ewc combo is what I'm doing.....FREE SHIPPING!!!

11. No doubt on some items. I picked up a tent online for less the a quarter of the price they had. However, I did get a hood from over there for less then I could find it online. Explain that one... I don't really recall any of their amendment items prices, I only picked up a big bag of perlite I was gonna use for a sip tray.

12. buffaloam is good compost satisfied with the compost tea [​IMG]

Sent from my N861 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. #74 Sundance6758, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2014

Damn double post...LOL   Let's try this again.....get your perlite at H.Depot.....$16.97 for 2 cf bag.....I set up 6 (double) tote sips with it......Also....H.Depot has bags & bags of EcoScraps Compost...

~Sun~

14. Knew it was good but not that good. Now I dont have any excuses. :laughing:

could get pricey with a larger grow,  but that shits good.

Thanks for posting that MrTea

15. #76 MrTea, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2014

Ya it's rather pricey indeed.  I guarantee that if you contacted them for 50 cf they would give you wholesale price.  Not many places carry their products and if they do it's in small quantities.  If you think about it though, the Great Plains are known for their fertile soil, that of which is proven to be made so rich by the herds of buffalo who grazed there for hundreds of years.  It only makes sense that their composted manure makes for a great addition to the organic garden.  

I live in denver and it seems as if it's impossible to find any Colorado based gardening supply company in a store.  I have to order everything online for anything local haha.  Went to Way to Grow today....they were asking $3/lb of glacial rock dust.  I chuckled.  C4 is hooking me up with an awesome local source for almost free.  

16. Please share!

my first grow

17. If you have amaz..prime you can get a 20 pound bag of tomato-tone for $20.19. That's the best I could find per pound for the money in stores or online. -sim

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. I just ordered this from Amazon this morning. Gotta love that Prime free shipping. :)

19. I did the same...Amazon:  Tomato Tone #20 bag...plus Kelp & Crab shell...more than $35 total= FREE SHIPPING!  Prime membership not needed.....

~Sundance~