Sourcing Organic Soil Mix Components

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jerry111165, Jan 23, 2014.

1. PM to try to keep it all organized... at least that's what I did....

2. I think either way is just fine - whatever works for you. Either way as sources come in I will continue to work on adding them to their appropriate post at the beginning of the thread - as much as possible anyhow. It will be nice to say "I need some vermicompost (or whatever)" and quickly go to the beginning of the thread and find a quality source either local to you or inexpensively online specific to the individuals needs.

Quite often we see folks "settling" on either an inferior product or simply not adding something to their soil because they just don't know where to get it easily. This thread should take care of that issue.

So let's overload each component area with all kinds of cool locations to buy quality gardening goods.

Thanks again!

J

3. Yeah, I'm totally on board!

www.veterancompost.com  They have compost, vermicompost, worms, worm bins, rain barrels, etc.  They are mostly located in Maryland, but have a pick-up place in DC and one in Philadelphia.

www.capitalcityhydro.com  Obviously grow stores aren't ideal, but they have Sunshine mix, coco, rockwool and other rooting cubes, etc.  And they are willing to order items they don't have.  And it's just tough to find grow supplies in DC area

www.blessingsblends.com  Compost and general garden supplies in Delaware.

4. Nice Jerry, excellent thread!!

5. http://www.glassmountainpumice.com/index.php?id=1  Glass mountain sells pumice in large quantities.  They have offices in Sacramento and Siskiyou County (Northern Cali, just south of Oregon).  They sell horticultural pumice by the ton (!!!) for $29.95 per ton (price in Siskiyou; could possibly be more in Sacramento due to transportation).  Cash or money order only (unless you want to set up an account)

6. hey jerry how have you been? I like these threads you come up with

7. Well I'll be... Lager! :) it's been a long time and good to see you buddy! Always good as can be and I hope the same for you. Don't be such a stranger!

Really nice to see you man.

J

8. www.starwestbotanicals.com   They are similar to Mountain Rose Herbs.  Slightly higher prices but at times they have what MRH is out of.

9. #30 northlat, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    wrong thread,oops

10. turning out to be a great resource thread jerry, good job amigo!!

11. Nice compilation of resources jerry! Seriously well done.

Refer any and everybody you know who looks for amendments online here; don't forget to mention most of these supplies can be bought locally at feed stores for cheap.

12. #33 Agent57, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2014
    countrysideorganics.com    thorvin kelp meal  50#@87.50 delivered into CA

My bad, it's 85.50 delivered.  Makes u wonder why you buy those 10# bags at nearly
    half this price from the hydro shops.

13. :hello:

round of applause for jerry's passion for organics 

seriously, without his help about a year ago id prob still be lost.

14. Thank you Vines - now I need some links to your favorite sources for soil items local to you....*lol*

seriously, gimme some links - where do you buy your goodies at?

Come on people, this means all of you...we need more local sources of goodies so folks can come on here and find places near them. We want to avoid shipping as much as possible.

Thanks in advance.

j

15. #36 kahgknow, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2014
    Hey jerry I will add a couple of things in here. Not too many folks out of RI but the few that pass through can check these places out.

http://www.goodearthorganicgardencenter.com/ - The Good Earth Organic Gardening Center - I have purchased some blended North County Organic fertilizer from them as well as Dr Earth Compost. I am unsure of what else they carry.

http://www.organicgrowhut.com/ - Organic Grow Hut - I KNOW I KNOW it is a hydro store. This is where I have found kelp meal cheapest for smaller packages it was like 14 for 5 pounds. I also purchased Perlite for 20 bucks 4 cf. I get smart pots here as well.

The local Whole Foods Markets carry Coast Of Maine products. I have found the lobster compost, worm castings and there was one other pack but I am not sure I did not purchase that.

Also, the local Agway (Depot Ave, Cranston, RI) carries a bunch of stuff - Alfalfa Pellets 50 lbs $18, Cocoa Shells 2 cf $10, Dr Earth Compost along with other products by Dr Earth. They carry the Epsoma line but I feel they are a bit on the expensive side I guess it would work if you did not want to pay shipping. They also told me they could order big sacks of kelp meal I just did not have the money at the time so I went to the organic grow hut. They ordered the Alfalfa as well.

Finally http://www.yardworksfloralgiftgarden.com/ - This is just a little flower shop they do vegetable starts in spring I believe, anyways, they carry the Epsoma line of products.

Oh and you can purchase a nice 4 cf ( or 3.8 not sure) of Peat Moss at Lowe's for $10.

Well after going through this it seems as though (and I just realized this) the only NECESSARY items I would need shipped would be rock dust and neem cake. I hope this can help someone I know not too many people are in RI.

Edit: That is not entirely true about getting rock dust shipped. I can get pieces of granite for free I just do not feel like smashing it into smaller pieces. Is it possible to go to the granite cutting places and get dust? I have not been able to find one yet. So technically all I need to get shipped is Neem Cake and for all I know there is some around here locally. I hope this list helps.

16. #38 thevines2, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2014

upstate ny is a lot of farm land tons of plant nurseries just gotta dig around!
    http://www.bgardens.com/page/page/7901822.htm   <carry coast of maine products

https://www.localharvest.org/ontario-orchards-M33974  < so much stuff during spring summer(coco bean shell mulch and perlite <3 )

and ofc countrymax chains carry dr. earth and espoma lines

other than that i have been composting rabbit manure and mixing that with some quoddy blend and bumper crop

sadly have not found local sources for rock dust of any type or neem cake so been paying shipping on that stuff

17. Don't want to reveal my location by listing local stores, but thanks for the thread and discussion starter.

18. Says the guy with one post.. lol Why not jus make up a dummy account if your worried.