sounds stupid, but i want my crystals...oily-er

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by bongstand, Dec 7, 2011.

1. yes i made this grasscity account for the sole purpose of asking this question. i think i like it here.

:eek: ok so yes i realize the thing about BHO budder crystals and their purity... but the high quality crystals are seriously lacking in functionality because of their reluctancy to stick to my dabber...i want to make it more waxy and sticky

any ideas or known solutions?

2. Its hard to reply to your question because you don't really explain what you mean... As far as i know when i make bho it doesn't normally have crystals, are you referring to a flake type of hash?

3. i didnt realize till i inspected my first picture closer, thats not even a very good picture of crystals. theyre real crumbly kinda like cupcake icing gets if u leave it out for a while

4. Well then i could suggest a few things, when you make the oil consider your purging time and method, I dont know how you make your product but if i were you I would warm up the container with the bho in it a bit to get it softer and more pliable before you scrape it up. All personal opinion.

5. it is oily when i scrape it up it crystals up from post purging if you have pure oil obviously its gonna get gooey if you warm it up dummy please dont even respond if you have nothing constructive to say

6. I take a good amount of ground up nuggets and let the butane drip all over it in a pyrex dish. Most of the BHO sticks to the ground up bud and not the glass. Then I roll joints, or pack bowls, or whatever with the BHO infused bud. Joints are the best with it cause it will burn forever and there is no mess.

Not sure if it will work in a dabber, mostly because I have no idea what that is:confused:

7. jesus christ this is why i didnt want to join grasscity...

CAN SOMEBODY MAKE A FUCKING BHO SECTION OF THE FORUM SO WE CAN KEEP THE FUCKING NOOBS OUT :mad:

8. The outcome is really dependent on the strain, quality, and method of purging. How did you purge it?

9. sativa dominant, high quality, glass extractor, 5+ filtered tane, solar purged (i sit it out in the sun. au natural is the way to go :D)

listen i understand the process and what determines the outcome and yadda yadda ya im asking if anyone has any ideas basically on how to take this ALREADY MADE oil and actually downgrade the quality of it, the reason being that i dont mind the small amount of impurities in lower quality BHO in exchange for their ease of use because theyre gooey and let you scoop up fat dabs and shape them up or string them out, instead of trying to stick a bunch of sandy crystals to the end of a dabber

10. #11 1sttimegrower, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2011
    Im-purify it? I don't know how with BHO, but I've done this with QWISO by mixing a slightly longer than average wash with some powdered qwiso; ended up with the goop that I like to use. (powder gets all over, lose SO much, straws get annoying......) I suppose if you have the set-up, let the butane sit in the tube with your herb for a while and you'll get a more impure product; let it drain off after 30 seconds or a minute. You can always switch to qwiso for ease of use haha but I don't see that happening.

As for downgrading ALREADY made oil, try experimenting with some heating to get it to change structure, work it, etc. I would NOT recommend doing another butane run with that BHO and new material. Maybe doing a separate second run, do a soak (implement some sort of stopcock), and pour that out. Perhaps with that you can mix your already made BHO to lower the purity.

11. you cant let butane sit in an extractor...thats the point of using butane, its highly volatile, you cant let it sit anywhere or it evaporates

QWISO is for reclaim. gross for use in extraction.

i definitely wouldnt put the already made oil in a new run, and ive never heard of an extractor with any sort of stopcock on it...and as i noted that its been suggested before, heat can melt the oil, but when it cools it will return to its original state

id love to hear the explanation for this one. powdered qwiso?? straws?

i dont see a viable solution anywhere in there. that was just babbling...

12. Wow, yeah grasscity has got some dumbass people lately. There is nothing you can do to the already made batch, period. The best thing you could do is run a little heat by it to melt it down then get it on the dabber, least that's what I do with my stuff that comes out like rock candy or hard wax.

If I am not mistaken I believe that how your end product turns out, has to to with two things, the starting material, and your purging methods. But I have only done 10-15 runs myself so I am no expert. I think your better off throwing this question up in TC. They actually have people who answer questions ;)

13. Theres no need to be a dick, I miss under stood the question. I thought you were looking for a way to make it more portable and easier to use.

I have made BHO a few times, im no expert on it but I wouldnt call my self a newb.

I have made it more sticky and gooey by adding a drop or two of Hemp oil to the mix.

I suppose you could reheat the BHO and add a drop or two, It would lower potency a tad but give you the desired effect that your looking for.

From the way you have jumped on a few posters asses for them giving you advice. you need to be smoking that shit asap.

14. What type of buds are u using? Trim also or just nugs. I only use dank...dank goes in dank comes out. I find that when my bho "budders up" or gets chunky as you would describe it....is from low quality nugs or excess whipping which I dont whip at all...I just vac purge. I have never had my bho come out not sticky...I cant even touch it without putting it in the fridge first. Even after it is chilled and pliable its only like 10 secs literally b4 it gets real sticky again. Not chunky or waxy like ear wax from the clubs...idk if you ever had it.

15. Lol....... -.- You can let the butane sit in the extraction tube. Under pressure, with the presence of millions of other butane molecules, where the hell will it evaportate to?
    QWISO can be used for everything; way to just debunk my method as only good for reclaim; I've made potent stuff, which is the meaning of concentrates, from ISO washes. You can't look down on a medical source just because of taste. And followed with further processing, QWISO can process large amount of hash as well as yield an insanely pure product(after hexane wash). I don't know the taste on that, but if its good I'll probably never switch to BHO as I had originally thought.

Heat will melt the oil, and change its structure. With gentle heating and work, it might change structure, even after cooling. At least, that's what happens with my QWISO at times. Have you tried this at least? Me and another suggested it, might be some merit to it. Or do as washed does, and use heat to apply it on your dabber if you can't remedy the chunky-ness

As far as an explanation goes, that's basically the main chunk of it. When I make qwiso, I like the licorice-like-consistancy goop (easy to work). Earlier on I always got powders; either this is from the quality (and whether better or worse, I don't know) of materials, or the presence of contaminants (dust, etc). Whatever it is, recently I've been making some 40 second wash's (gets me that licorice goop) and into the strained mix, I mix my powdered QWISO. As it dries, I end up with licorice. With the powder, to smoke it I'd have to scrape some of the powder loose from the matrix, and use a straw to try and trap hash in there by way of a vacuum (ever hold soda in your straw, with the bottom open but the top closed and nothing drips? Using that principle I load my hash into hot hit bowls)

This type of method is probably your best bet to impurify your wash, if it can at all be done. You you can make stopcock tubes yourself, I havn't seen them on the market yet. It would be the only way to impurify your run; the Butane should solvate the first run's BHO and when it all finishes be a quality of a middle mix of the two runs.

16. It will evap cause there is no pressure in the ext. tube. The remaining butane should slowly release and eventually dry up. Ive done it b4......On another note though. Do you dab the qwiso just like a bho dab? I havent made qwiso since I got the oil setup. Imma have to try it out. I used to just put it on top of my bowls.

17. With a sealed tube, why would it evaporate? It will be under pressure, under such conditions (your adding butane to a "normal" system, compressing it) Just needs the bottom sealed with a stopcock, and after you finish putting in the butane you seal the top. Perhaps this might need more butane than normal, to keep pressure up, but in theory it works. Have you tried it(with top and bottom fully sealed), and practically it fails?

With the powder I use straws to top greens with, or place into my hot hit bowl.
    With the licorice I just pluck some hash from the jar (with my fingers, NO MESS, this is why I love this shit) and do w/e with that. Can be put under a curve, used for dabs, in a hot hit setup, over bud, etc. But if your doing BHO on an oil rig now, the QWISO will taste like ass in comparison. IMO, QWISO is fine only if you stick to qwiso, haha. Soon as I tried some BHO I realized the major difference in taste (as far as my taffy/oily wash's are concerned) and now that I mainly vape, the taste of my hash is really apparent when I hot hit it.

18. Yea after the bho I never went back to qwiso. I used to use the powder for joints or blunts and the "licorice" went on top of the bowl. I might just make some qwiso and try dabbin it and see how that is.....

About the butane...no I havent really plugged up both ends to keep the butane in...sorry I thought meant something else..... but y would you wanna do that anyways? Ok maybe if you wanna do a second run but its better if you clear the tube an repack with the same buds anyways.

19. OP wants to lower quality of his current run. To do that, he can run some new bud, but let the butane sit in there for a bit to get a lower quality wash. After pouring it out, if he mixes his current batch of BHO with it, the resultant hash will be lower grade than the original. Thats why I proposed the sealed tube idea