"Souls" Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Megacosm, May 6, 2012.

1. I honestly don't know if I believe in the "soul" or not. At times I feel like we are just animals controlled by a mixture of insticts and learned ideas that act together in a way that gives us the best chance of survival. Are we all just machines with slight differences in "programming" that make us "unique"?

Other times I wonder if it's deeper than just that. Sometimes it just seems like we are too complicated to just be machines.

Love is one example. Is it a true connection to another person on multiple levels? Or is it a trick to make you want to produce offspring with a compatible mate based on their good genetics and personality?

I'll slap a poll up in a couple minutes on my laptop. Post any opinions or flaws in my reasoning.

2. what? why are you saying animals do not have souls? what is that based on and why do you feel that way? ...

3. I dont think we "have" souls.
    'I' think in a simply worded sense, we 'are' the Souls.

I see myself as a spiritually conscious-cosmic soul, with a physical body in this 3D/physical materialistic "world"

In a sense the body is nothing but a suit for soul, that allows me feeling, thought, and just overal fascination and sensation aka Life.

High ramble, but intended deep talk.

4. #4 Perpetual Burn, May 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2012
    No souls.

Just Soul.

5. You ARE a soul you HAVE a body.

6. [quote name='"The Osiris"']You ARE a soul you HAVE a body.[/quote]

Exactly

7. There are no souls. The physical world is all there is. When you die, that's it.

8. what about when people in surgery are clinically dead and rise from their body and are able to state specific readings or things the doctors do or say?

9. We ARE our soul....our soul is our true form.....
    however, presently we are spiritual beings having a human experience.
    Our body is merely a shell we use to exist in this physical form.

10. I read something about that, which I'll link to at the end of my reply. What's happening is a phenomena called confabulation, which is the brain filling gaps memory that it knows exist with likely explanations. Also, we only hear about those who were lucky and guessed right what happened. The people who give wrong answers as to what their doctors did/said are ignored, which is an exhibition of confirmation bias on the part of the folks peddling the afterlife ideas.
    Near death, rehashed - Neuroscience - Salon.com

11. ^ That still doesn't prove that we are not souls, meh... I guess we'll just have to wait and see once we're dead... :smoke:

12. That wasn't the point. The point was that stuff such as some "clinically dead" patient supposedly being able to recall events that happened while they were supposed to be dead is neither reliable nor legitimate evidence for the existence of souls or an afterlife.

It's not up to me to prove or provide evidence that we are not souls. You (or someone else) made the claim that we are souls. Burden of proof is on you. If you can't provide evidence for your claim, then there is no rational reason to believe it or take it seriously. As a preliminary question to see if you even have a coherent concept of a soul, what evidence would convince you that your ideas about being a soul are wrong?

13. #13 Smokey!, May 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2012
    The fact that I'm alive and inside this body is proof enough for me. I didn't make any initial claim and I didn't try to state anything as fact. I'm also not trying to force anyone to believe anything, especially not someone that's already clearly entrenched in their own views and opinion; just merely stating my opinion. We'll see what happens when we die, it's pointless trying to argue about something like this, peace.

I look at it this way, if we die and I'm right and somehow souls can communicate I'll be all "ha dude! I told you so!" and if I'm wrong....well, if I'm wrong neither of us will be able to say shit. :cool:

14. So, I take it that you don't have a coherent concept of a soul. Plus, a soul is unnecessary for the things you stated.

I'm calling bullshit. Why? Your original post in this thread: "You ARE a soul you HAVE a body." \t\t That's a pretty damn strong claim, and with that sentence structure and choice of words, saying that you didn't make any initial claim or state anything as fact is incredibly dishonest. No matter how you can try to spin it, your original words strongly suggest that you did make an initial claim and a statement of fact.

Let's take a look at that accusation. There's me, who's willing to do a complete overhaul of his views if suffucient evidence suggests that they are wrong, and there's you, who dogmatically believes in souls because he's alive. I'm sorry, but not only does your accusation of me being "clearly entrenched in my own views and opinion" hold no water, you are exhibiting psychological projection.

It's theoretically possible for there to be evidence of souls and/or an afterlife, if souls do exist and there is an afterlife. Also, if there were souls, the mere existence of a soul would not provide rational grounds for the notion of an afterlife.

15. Why else would there be ghosts

16. Stop trying to disprove spirituality with science. What are you then? Thoughts?

17. I like the idea of having a soul, but I don't really think they exist.

I just want to haunt the shit out of people when I die :p

18. sometimes i can feel energy inside me and other times i see the power of thought and how it can shape reality. i think there might be a soul but im not sure as of yet.:)

19. Keep on your path. :wave:

20. We are energy.

Energy is probably the soul.

Thoughts are physical, when you die. Your BRAIN thoughts are left.

It's pure consciousness after that, no more 'human' thoughts.

Just vibrations.