soo how dark does does "night" have to be?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by dankydankk, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Soo today I took my plants out of my closest for watering when I was about to shut the lights out at my usual 12pm time, I'm on a 17/7 schedule,

But then I accidently left my house to go watch euro 2012 without placing my plants back in the complete darkness of the closet,

So now I'm wondering if the 4 hours I left them in a dim area (my room) count as a light or dark period?

2. it would count as a light period. it needs to be pitch black.. if its still vegging, it doesnt matter at all, it wont hurt anything.

3. Yeah ill probably just leave in darkness for another two hours nd flip em on

4. adding more light in veg is ok, and adding more dark in flower is ok. i run my plants in veg 24/0 until recently to save some electricity i run at 18/6.

5. Yea it's light period. The plants need 12 hr of uninterrupted darkness during flowering. It should be pitch black and light harms the plant.

6. I'm sure it has to be some black, but if you have an intense light on there like 600w, wouldn't a small amount of room light not matter for a few seconds comparing the light intensities?

7. This is something I'd like to experiment on in the future, because I'm damn sure nature has ambient light from the moon and stuff... do outdoors growers obsess about this stuff? unlikely

8. It moon and stars don't provide actual light on the plants but are a reflection of light.

9. Indoor and outdoor are not the same thing.

It has to be absolutely, completely, 100% dark. Not a single photon.

Now, obviously a little light isn't going to kill your plant. And messing up once or twice like you did is okay. But for what it is worth the less light tight the grow space the lower the harvest will be.

Plants build up flowering hormones during the dark period. Any light on them indoors during the dark period will slow the accumulation of these growth hormones. And that's all there is to it.