sonic misters

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by 420ish, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Anyone ever use one in their hydro set up? Looks like the same principle as the natramist system, but this one would be inside the reservoir. I'm thinking one of these in a self contained aeroponic system would work pretty good.

[​IMG]

High output 5 mister fogger, it diffuses 1500 ml water per hour. Powerful enough for almost any fog effect. For indoor, outdoor fountain, waterfalls, pond, green house or industrial use, also a great negative ion generator and humidifier. Heavy duty transformer, 32' long cable. Including 1 fogger buoy K004 which can be also used to adjust the amount of fog output .
    Fogger size: 3 3/8"diameter x 2 3/8"(h).

Basicaly, I want to trap this inside of a aero set up and let the roots take advantage of the micron sized mist that the sonic mister creates. What do you guys think?

2. yes m8 i use one with dwc but just a few tips -
    totally avoid any fog leaks as nutrient will settle on leaves as a fine white powder & burn them.
    also gest sucked in ur filters & blocks them up.
    foggers are verry thirsty if u have leaks so make sure u set them up proper on timers.
    if u run them with air pumps u need to turn thyem off while the air pumps are running.
    i made the mistake of running them with a bubbler & didnt realise that i was pumping air in & dispalcing fog :/ til it ws a bit too late.
    plants still finished but at 14wk.

excellent little devices & i recommend inventive growers should experiment with them - a new thing for us but definately worth a try :)
    U can blow the fog down a tube with a fan, but as i said it will leave a film of nutrients so fans will need regular cleaning.

i got these single foggers dead cheap. http://www.ukdj.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=13746
    Get spare discs if u can cos they do wear out - especially in an acidic nutrient res ;)

ace info on ultrasonic foggers : http://www.shirafrapa.com/eng/ufg.html
    well worth a read if ur interested!

interesting how bacteria & algae can't grow in the ultrasonic fog.
    amazed me how the fog is totally dry to touch :confused:
    pics of mine in use are in 'multipot dwc' thread

below ar some plants grown with ultrasonic fog - not mine btw.
    mine r here :) -> http://img260.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img260/1571/1177183514fnk.smil

Attached Files:

3. Did you use that single head mister you poseted? I was looking at the 5 head I posted. It runs about $95 shipped. these units appear to just sit in the reservoir. It also comes with a bouy, which keeps it at optimal operating level, if there are plenty of nutes in the reservoir that is. Also, it is adjustable, so with some trial and error, I bet it would work, and well. There is a company selling units for hydro systems here in the US, but they want $400 for the mister. Crazy prices. http://www.nutramist.com

I'm very interested in this approach to nute feeding. I think I will order a mister and play with it a while in a set up before I go for a grow. I did not think about the nutes settling on the leaves. I was thinking more along the lines of a sonic nute blast once on hour for 5 - 10 minutes.

Num, your grow looked awesome bro. Nice work.

420ish

4. Good deal. Better than where I was looking. How do you plan to set your up if you don't mind? Here is where I was looking.

http://www.mainlandmart.com/foggers.html

I want to see this trapped inside my reservoir feeding my roots. How would you run yours? 24/7? Cycle it every few hours? Any tips would be helpfull.

[​IMG]

420ish

5. though the foggers do run cool, some heat is generated, so keeping them on continuously will heat up the solution quite a lot.
    Also, if u do have any leaks, the solution is used up at quite a rate - 500ml an hr with a single fogger & though it does change back to liquid eventually, if any leaks it is lost & can cause probs.
    i set mine up to run 15 mins per hr (That's during lights-on as there is no need to feed during the dark period) & saw no bad effects at all - apart from burns where the fog had touched leaves.

U can use a small plug-in timer as these units don't use massive amounts of power.
    Also i had to clean out the inside of my rvk as it sucked up a lot of fine white powdered nutes.........
    & change my carbon filter!

best way i can suggest to keep the root area airtight is to use root riot cubes to start off the plants & squeeze them into a 1" diameter hole instead of using net pots etc....
    I found most of the fog that leaked was coming up through my hydroton clay balls in the net pots, then being blown about by my fans, settling inside my cooltube etc - everywhere tbh, which proves that the fog reaches the parts that others can't. :D

The little led on top of the unit makes absolutely no difference to the roots btw - it won't make ur roots rot & it won't make ur plants hermie lol, though do avoid the models with a sequence of flashing leds - no need :/
    If u have the single unit, u might want to add a buoy to keep the right depth -
    the depth doesnt have to be exact, but u do notice more fog is given off at about 20mm underwater.
    Make sure u can get at the unit for maintenance - not so much the disc going etc but to clear away roots which will block the unit up.

have a look at Mordgrow's diary as well - i think he's also using these :)
    @420ish - total crop for that grow (dry) was over 12 1/2 oz - not bad for a wardrobe & home made hydro/aero - have a look at the utube link in my sig :cool:

Attached Files:

6. Saran wrap the tops of the net pots around the stem to help keep fog in the reservoir.

7. Or you could use Net Pot Lids[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]