Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Son caught by cops

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by twobitzzz, Jun 29, 2012.

1. #1 twobitzzz, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2012
    My child, a 16 year old who will be a senior in high school, was caught by an undercover cop who followed him and his friend and eventually caught them smoking a joint.
    (By the way, we reside in NJ, specifically Bergen county)
    He is a bright student in the top 10% of his grade, received a near perfect SAT score, is extremely involved in extra-curricular activities and community service, and has never dealt with the police or been caught with anything before in his life; this is his first time.
    I was called to pick him up. They will send me a date for family court. My main concern is keeping this a secret from my wife (for personal reasons). Do you find this do-able? Do both parents have to show up to the family court? What kind of punishments will my son face? I would much rather pay a simple fine than have him deal with probation, classes, or community service. These consequences risk my wife from knowing. If the judge does choose to give him service work, classes, etc, is there a way to repeal this? It is summer and he is already interning in two different places and getting up to 40 hours of community service a week at the moment. (Personal reasons why I don't want my wife knowing about our son's incident).
    Will there be any records? Does this Disorderly Persons Offenses count as a misdemeanor? Will my son have to report this to the colleges he will apply to? Will this affect his future at all? And should I hire an attorney for Family Court? Thank you very much; sorry about the long read.

2. Tell your son if he doesnt give it up in the butt you will tell his mom. Easy.

3. #3 MoneyBags420, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2012
    What state do you live in? He should be fine normally when a minor gets arrested they get a period of adjustment where he cant get in any trouble and it all goes away. No record or anything. At least that is my understanding of the NJ laws.

-- Also I would consider hiring a lawyer for him. It will defiantly look good to the judge that he is busy at an internship and will lighten the sentence if anything since he knows he'll be busy.

4. I do live in NJ
    Bergen county, to be exact

5. Well assuming it's a midemeanor where you live it will go off his record when he turns 18, but that's all I can tell you, I dinnt know about the other stuff, best of luck to you

6. Thanks

7. [quote name='"Something New"']Tell your son if he doesnt give it up in the butt you will tell his mom. Easy.[/quote]

What is this shit?

8. he will probally get a fine and probation or just some coumminty service, i just had to go play anger bingo and say random shit that makes us mad,

this one kid flipped shit on the teacher guy and 12 sheriffs ran in
    he got DROPPED

9. I know you would do the same. Don't lie.

10. I got caught at school when I was in High School, and no, you don't have to tell colleges anything. When he applies to a college, it will say "Have you ever been suspended?" and "Have you ever been charged with a felony?". A guidance counselor at my school said that colleges don't actually check (her exact words were something along the lines of "Colleges get thousands of applications each year, do you really think they call for schools disciplinary records for EVERYONE that applies?") So, when I applied, I said no to both being suspended and being charged with a felony. And what do you know, a few months later I got my acceptance letters, no questions asked.

The court thing, I have no idea about, because I was given the option to either go to court or go to drug counseling (so obviously i chose the drug counseling). You might get stuff in the mail for court, but other than that, i dont see how you're wife would find out.

11. Oh yeah, this will not affect his future AT ALL. I laugh about getting caught now, because when i got caught i was like, "holy shit holy shit holy shit my life is totally over". Turns out, it wasnt even a big deal

12. he will be fine. im in bergen county as well and know plenty of minors that have been arrested multiple times for weed and it pretty much just goes away. once your turn 18 is when shit gets real

13. Did you by chance, give your son the joint?
    I think he'll be fine though, if you can afford a lawyer without your woman finding out, I think you should do it.

14. Judges like to see you with a lawyer because they are lawyers.

15. I think he did.

16. i got caught when i was 16 for smoking before school and got a 750 dollar fine for Paraphernalia, and 6 months court supervision, which is weak shit haha and it got off my record whenever the 6 months of court supervision was over

17. i dont know what the marijuana laws are in NJ but i think he will probably need to do some community service hours (obviously not a big deal for him) and maybe pay a fine, i dont really know.

when i was 13 my friends and i where being dumb and explored what we thought was an abandoned un owned warehouse and got caught by the land lord. we went to juvenile court and were given 20 hours of community service. If we completed the 20 hours with in 6 months our records would be cleared.

18. I'm astonished you want to hide that from your wife. *shrugs* She'll find out, you shouldn't even try to hide it. Thing is that if you try to hide it, when it comes out in the paper and she goes to work and a co worker brings it up to her, she's going to be more pissed that she didn't find out through you or your son, that she had to find out from a co worker.

Even if she doesn't find out that way, she'll be really pissed if it took like two to three months to find out about it, there are plenty of ways that eventually she'll hear something about it.

And I'm not trying to judge you saying you should be open to your wife and tell her everything, cuz it's your marriage, I'm just letting you know that if you were to hide this from her, that you are somewhat a mericle worker.

19. When this happens where I live to younger kids they get like a year of fake probation (they can't get in trouble, or they get real probation). If they get through the year it disappears from their record.

20. Do you really suggest I get a lawyer for this though?