Son Agro vs. Hortilux

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Sloppy G, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Hey all, I'm finally about to put my plants into flowering, so i moved half of them from the fluorescent light to the 400W HPS light. However, I notice the plants under the HPS seem bigger but the most important growth (in the branches) is about the same under both lights.

I mean, i have a 5-6 inch plant under fluorescent with it's tiny little branches as big as the branches on a 10-inch plant under HPS. I think a small part of the problem might just be cuz vegetative growth thrives under ultraviolet radiation which I dont have much of coming from the HPS. So I'm gonna switch my 400W bulb out and get a 430W with blue spectrum.

I've narrowed my search down to two choices:

430W Phillips Son Agro HPS Bulb (advertised as 30% increased blue spectrum and initial 53k Lumens) for $80

vs.

430W EYE Iwasaki Hortilux HPS Bulb (advertised as 25% increased blue spectrum and initial 58.5K Lumens) for $100

----------

Now, what's bugging me isnt the $20 price difference, but how well the bulbs will be for my plants. I dont really know if I should believe the 58.5K lumen rating for the Hortilux, cus they claim it outputs 5500 more Lumens while consuming the same amount of power.

Meanwhile, the Son Agro is cheaper and probably does the same exact good as the Hortilux, and since the ratings dont really help decide, I thought I'd ask people that have used one, or the other (or maybe even both) to give insight into which may be better.

If it comes down to both being pretty much the same, I'll just get the Son Agro.

2. #3 Sweet_green, Oct 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2010
    Bumped because I'm trying to decide the same thing, and I'm hoping someone can chime in now since its been almost 3 years to the day! lol

Can't believe this is the most recent thread that came up in my search

3. i am not sure if i misunderstood your post but blue spectrum is for veg and red for flower!!!

4. The hortilux will yield more. A mixture of blue light is good but you don't need to much for flower. I'd go with the hortilux it should be worth the extra $20 for those extra lumens. Blue light is good for veg but still if you were going to use this bulb for both it would be better to get the extra boost during flowering.

5. Hortilux EYE bulb all the way.

Theres a reason its 20 bucks more. I've used them both and definetly see better results with the EYE bulb.

Good luck!

jerry.

6. Hey what about for 250w? The Son Agro claims their bulb is 270w and can go in any regular 250w fixture. There is no 270w Hortilux equivalent