Sometimes it’s hard not to be judgmental

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by esseff, Mar 25, 2019.

1. It’s not that I think I’m always right, and definitely not that I’m better than you, it is the way you make me feel. Knowing that you think a certain way creates a feeling that is hard to ignore. I don’t like it when you judge me and do not mean to judge you, but sometimes I’m already doing it before I realise what it is.

Once judged it’s hard to let it go, even if there is nothing I want to do about it other than accept that is how I see you. It stops me wanting to be around you, stay open to what you think. As if that tiny, relatively insignificant moment, stops me from letting you be the rest that you are.

I don’t like it. I hate it when you judge me. I know I shouldn’t be affected, because what you think has no bearing on who I am. Why should I care what you think? It's no business of mine to see you in any way other than you. If I don't agree with what you think, I don’t need to decide something about you, I can walk away, so that my world, my reality, is what I experience. I don’t need to understand the world through your eyes, and yet, as I said, judgement isn’t always a thought, hardly ever actually.

I often wonder which comes first - feeling or thought? Some say you think something and then you feel something about it, others, you feel something which gets translated into thought. I say you can't feel something in a vacuum, so there has to be a belief or definition involved in creating it. But honestly, it happens so fast that, out of the blue, there I go again, judging the shit out of you.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Seldom considered, there is a very big difference between discerning something, and passing judgement on someone.
    One is expected of me, while the other I have no right to do.
    Just as my eye's can be a window, my mouth can be a front door. The wider I open the door, the more stray cats can wander in and discern what they take in.
    We all have to interpret things we read, see and hear around us. The thing is, how? Where does ones interpretation come from? Is it pulled from thin air? The band wagon of popular belief? Garbage in - garbage out.

• Like Like x 2
  3. If you dont judge me I don't judge you.

4. Sometimes we judge without intending it, and because we didn't mean to do so we don't reveal that we have. But we have. So is there a difference between judging internally and revealing that we have judged?

5. It's ok to judge we all do it but it should stay in your head and be reconsidered once you actually talk to whoever you're judging

6. #6 esseff, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    True, we all do it, unless we have found a way to stop doing it, by not allowing judgments to become real by not thinking about them.

I think it's as much a habit as anything else. Judgments give us a feeling of superiority, for a moment, perhaps making us feel better about ourselves. It's why we all do it.

But why allow it there at all if you intend to reconsider it? Why not get into the habit of holding off on the judging until AFTER you have spoken to them? What if you don't get the chance to talk to them?

• Like Like x 1
  7. I think It's a reflex leftover from when we strangled mammoths for a living. You had to figure what's gonna kill before it kills you and things like strange appearance , species or later religion have way too often been signs of bad intention.

Since then we might've been to the moon but most modern Europeans are still up to 4% Neanderthals. It's up to us to challenge that primitive reflex

• Like Like x 2