Something wrong with my plants

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Cookie, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Hello everyone. I'm new to all this, never befor had experience with growing something like this. And I've come to an obstacle... 15 plants, indoor growing, Jack Herer all of them. Did everything I thought I should have, followed instructions. Ok, there were small problems in the beginning but after that it all looked good. Even dealt with fruit flies, annoying little bugs (sand didn't help much). 

But now leaves on my beauties are starting to curl upward while the tip curls down, then they lose color and slowly start falling off. I read everything there is about pests, diseases, spent time looking at photos and trying to figure it out but nothing. Older leaves are going away and my plants are starting to look more and more bare. Good thing is that new leaves are slowly coming out in the place of those that have fallen off but if this continues, my plants will soon be a matter of history. Doing it for someone who has medical problems but doesn't have room or energy and really really want it to work. 

Tried adding humidity with this little machine just for that purpose. Even tried with adding Magnesium but no change. Their height is from 20 to 77 inch, watered when I feel the soil is getting dry, using the 18-6 cycle.

Of coure it would be easier to wait for spring to start growing but I didn't have the time and now, not even are my plants growing, they are starting to lose life. 

No idea if I am  doing it right but if you know what I could do to help my plants out, please tell me. 

Cookie

Attached Files:

2. Not enough info!What's your soil made of? It looks really dry and what's that white stuff all over the top of the soil? If its fertilizer I think it's burning the leavesYour plants look like they are experiencing heat problems, what's the temp? They are very tall for young vegging plants. If that light isn't too hot you need to get it closer. What size is the light? Do you have proper intake/ exhaust ducting? I'll stop there.. Think about it!Proud to be an Organic GCU Student!!

3. whats the ph run off and watering ph as well

4. Thank you. I`ve thought about just seeing how it goes and let them grow as they can. But i don`t have the heart. When i first planted them, I put a statistic on the paper. With pests, diseases and all other difficulties, I didn`t think I would get this far. When i first saw fruit flies, I had a haert attack so I put sand on the surface. Didn`t work. Then i bought this white powder and it helped a little (that`s the white thing you see on soil).

And yeah, I may have watered too much in the start. Now I wait until the plants show they really need water (I water two times a week, 1/4 l each time, is that ok?).
    If i end up with 3 healthy plants, I will celebrate.

Water = I use rain water
    Heat = 18-20 C during the night and around 22-24 during the day
    Humidity = I`m not sure. I started using machine that increases humidity couple days ago
    Fertilizer = I used chicken based fertilizer (6-3-6) but im thinking of using Kristalon 19-6-20+3MgO+micro (which one is better?)
    Light = Superplant HPS 400W (2100K grow & bloom) + 30% blue
    Day/night = 18hours day, 4 hours night
    PH= I`m going to buy meter or ph papers this week

Maybe your advices will do the trick in which case you get a tight cyber hug from the chick lost in a man`s world :)

PS: ever experimented with the effect certain music has on plants?

5. #5 tylerm428, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2013
    My 1st observation - those plants are VERY stretched.   They aren't getting nearly enough light. Which is a little odd if you are using 400W HPS.  How far is the light from the plants?

Looking at the pics; you've got a nutrient problem.  Could be lockout due to PH, but my guess is nute burn.   Stretching plants fool 1st time growers into thinking the plant is using more nutrients than it has.  Those are still very small plants and would only now start benefit from adding a small amount of nutrients.  Whatever is in your soil should have been more than enough up until this point (and likely for another couple of weeks).

What I'd recommend:
    - Flush the problem plants well and only give water for 3 days then 1/2 nutes for at least a week.
    - Fix your light problem whatever it is.  You won't get anything out of those plants unless you do something about the lack of light. 

6. You might have other issues, but one thing is for sure, you need more light. 15 plants under one 400 watt lamp will not work. They will grow spindly and produce very little:

[​IMG]

7. #7 tylerm428, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2013
    Missed the 15 plants part.  400W HPS is only enough to bring 2 or 3 plants to maturity.

You need 1000W now, and at least 2000W to bring all 15 plants to maturity.

8. Well lets be a bit real here.. Your 400w is enough to bring lots of plants to maturity as long as they fit into a 3x3 or 4x4 space their whole life. Of course those plants will have to be no more than 18-20 inches tall. This would be great for personal use but 15 large plants won't mature properly for larger yields under 400wProud to be an Organic GCU Student!!

9. Before you do anything cookie, do what Tyler said ASAP. Flush them with clean water. I hope you bought that meter. I am sorry cookie but you can start with 15 plants and no meter.
    I did that too. I was sorry I did. Now I have more then one. Anyway...

Flush first. PH 6.5 will do fine. Fix what leaves telling you and stop that mad stretch. Your light is too far.
    Your temperature should be 78. The curling inwards could be because of the heat as well.

10. Thank you for everything you shared with me. Definitely sending e-hugs :wink

Ok. I messed up with only one light and too much water in the beginning. Chances are I won`t be able to get another lamp for at least a month. Could I put 3-4 plants under the light and somehow use the others? Clone them maybe, before they wilt?

Who would have thought this is so complicated after I grew some rare rose hybrids.... First grow is always full of surprises, no matter what plant it is.

I wish you all the best with your grow, may your plants be rich and healthy.

11. You need a total of approx 60 watt per square foot. You have approx 7 square feet to work with.
    Your 400 light need to be 30 to 40 cm away from your plants.

You can probably increase the square footage by adding some fluorescent for now. Vege all of your girls until you can bring another light in and then switch 12/12. I think this may be your best bet right now.

If your cut clones, in two weeks you will have roots. You will have to repot to soil and find a light to put them under.

12. they look like Robert Wadlow, the guy who grew to 8'11