Something that really bothers me..

Discussion in 'General Forum Feedback' started by PlasticPopsicle, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Okay, I figured I really needed to address an issue about GC that really bothers me. Some of you may have noticed this, some may have not. Anyways, this is a forum for stoners. Stoners are supposed to be chill, happy, and peaceful, no? Well, some people on here are downright nasty. An example - sometimes I'll see an interesting yet far-fetched story, and all of the replies are other blades attacking the OP and calling them a liar, calling bullshit, etc. Sure, I can understand if the OP said they got abducted by aliens while smoking a joint and then proceeded to put the title as "OMGZZ this really happened no joke lolol!!!1" Sure, that's annoying, but no need to be nasty to your fellow blades. Another example - I just made this account recently. I had to make a new account because I posted a thread and some blades thought it was lame, so they proceeded to insult me and tell me how stupid I was for posting such a lame thread, wasting their time, blah blah. Since they all ganged up on me and blew up my rep with -reps, I had to go through an identity makeover. This shouldn't be happening to me or anyone else on here :(

Sorry, that was a little rant-esque, but it's really saddening how cruel people can be nowadays. Anyone else notice this type of behavior on here?

2. [​IMG]

This isn't different than the majority of online communities. Your only option is to toughen up or you'll get eaten alive.

3. i dunno if you have noticed, but most stoners are moody, easily angered people...and this is the internet as well

4. Well, yeah, I know you can't surf the net while being a total softie; nobody likes the baby who cries about everything.

But at the same time, who really wants to share a forum with people who waste all of their time attacking others and making them feel bad?

It goes both ways, ya know?

5. #5 Jankydank, Mar 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2009
    You make it sound as if this community is comprised solely of asshole trolls. I agree it shouldn't happen, but there are always those bored people who get their kicks from anonymously shit talking somebody they will never meet. It's the screen mentality. No consequences as long as you're anonymous. A good rule I follow (posted this in another thread I think about the same thing) is if I wouldn't say it to somebody's face, I wouldn't say it online. If only everyone followed the same thing while on internet message boards.

6. i agree w/ ya homes

7. True true.

Can't change everyone's behavior on here, best thing to do is to just focus on your own.

Thanks guys, I feel better now :hello:

8. I've been a stoner for way over half of my life and am around stoners all of the time in my real life and I never come in contact with stoners that are easily angered. This is the only place where I come across "stoners" that are like that...which is why I question the stonerage of some people. ;)

No one wants to come here to be attacked and if that's indeed what's happening, then please report the posts where it's happening. That's the only way you'll see positive change around here. We have over 133,000 members with about 500 new registrations daily and can't be everywhere to see all of this. Reports of the bad stuff are what helps us when it comes to curbing all of the negativity and ugliness around here.

We're all going to disagree on things but another thing you learn when you're all grown up is that people can disagree with one another while still being respectful. You don't have to talk trash to someone, call them names and disrespect them in order to disagree with them.

Focusing on your own behavior is huge but please, still report the crap because you're not the only one who doesn't want it here.

If I wanted to be a part of a community like that, I could go to several other mj communities that actually thrive off of negativity (hate, name-calling, disrespect, etc...) but I don't want that...I want my City...and from the feedback I've been receiving lately, so do the majority of the Blades here. :)

9. CERTAINLY seconded.

10. So I thought about it - and you know what? RMJL is right. I cant't let other blades convince me that hate and negativity is just a regular part of GC, because it shouldn't be. I don't care if it's the internet or not, it's still not right. I have a feeling I'll become well-acquainted with the report button in the near future, and so should everyone else. We can't sit around and accept it as a normal fact of internet browsing; we have to do something about it.

11. Shouldn't the word troll be considered name calling? It's certainly not nice..

12. co-sign

13. I just stay out of any sub-forums with that kind of talk as I had bitter experiences on them before. Another good idea is to look the other way.

14. You also have to remember, even though its suppose to be 18+ here.
    Lots of the posters in some of the forums are obviously not.
    Little kids seem to love to be the internet tough guys

15. It's pretty easy to just ignore someone's post and not reply to it either. I constantly have to remind myself this is the internet and it's not worth the effort of even disputing things with most people around. I stick around forums b/c if I look past all the drama I watch happen, then I have to admit I've made a few good friends here and there, but other than that, to hell with em!

16. I think the best way to go would be if we all started giving -rep to those who are being dickheads. Basically, that's what the rep system was made for - a democratic way to determine who should be ignored ;)

17. used to bother me alot on another discussion board.
    that one has now been taken over completely by the same rude types you speak of...right up to and including some mods.....active membership went from 35,000 to < 2,000 in the last 5 years.

I did what I could when it first started , but like many others I finally gave up.

I was originally the 11th member to join the city, and I have the highest regard and respect for superjoint and his small army of mods... "for doing it right".

With it brought to their attention, I have confidence they will figure this out too.

fyi.

look up an old board called yahooka on wiki , you'll see the type of nonsense that goes on, and possibly the reason.......I'm not sure.:confused:

18. You can also put selected members in your ignore list to not even see their posts.:cool: It doesn't serve the community but it's practical.:hello:

19. real life keeps whiney people in check

if you're going to get busted in the teeth for it you probably arent going to be a jackass unless you can handle yourself

and most people who can handle themselves just arent that type of jackass

sometimes you have to work in the satisfying notion that you could whipe the floor with them if they ever said it to your face
    thats how i get by sometiomes around here

90 percent of the people here are fine
    90 percent of the time

think about it

20. #20 roach, Apr 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2009

and in a virtual city you can pick and choose who stays and who goes.

Those who can't bring it upon themselves to follow the rules against flaming ,and trolling, cursing, inflamatory racist comments etc......

really just don't need to be here.

The "city" has taken years of time, effort ...and money to build .

Anyone who does not want to be a part of this, can surf on over to a site more of their social taste.

remember this is a discussion board...not virtual reality...it is real virtuality.

think about it.

I am very satisfied with what Superjoint, RMJL, and all the mods do, and have done, to make and keep grasscity what it has become.

I suspect we will all be pleasantly amazed once the new server is up and running.