Someone Please Explain Seasoning to Me(For a Skillet)

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by Piper1327, Nov 4, 2012.

1. #1 Piper1327, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2012
    I'm lost :confused:

2. well, before you cook things like eggs for example,cause they stick real bad, you wanna put a layer of grease on your pan first.
    i like to spray my pans with a light oil and then put them over a direct flame until they start smoking a little. then you just wipe em down a little with a rag, but its best to use the part of the rag with the grease so you keep your pans seasoned.
    there ya go man.

3. I always thought it was like putting pepper and shit on your steak before you cooked it. That's what seasoning is to me

4. hahahaaha

seasoning has many meanings HB

5. And I always thought dogs laid eggs.....and I learned something today :hello:

6. What about cast iron? I season my pans at 250 for like three hours with some coconut oil (yummy!!!) every six months. Makes them so black, it's like cooking on a shadow!

7. goddamn, every six months?? holy shit...
    are you doing it in the oven by chance???

my cast iron has to be re seasoned every day almost...

8. Lol at all the cooking talk..

9. Everyday?

Holy hell how much do you cook it. I think my dad seasoned his cast iron pan once and that's it. I'll tell him he has to step up his seasoning game

10. well im a chef, so i basically use them everyday for several hours, then they do get washed and ran through a washing machine witch removes most of it..but that depends on how seasoned you get the pan in the first place.
    ive seasoned em all to straight black before, took a few weeks to look normal again hahaha

11. That makes sense.

He rarely washes his just wipes the grease out I think, but never washes. Being a cook makes much more sense haha

12. im talking about seasoning a skillet Blades lol

13. #13 grownthisway, Nov 4, 2012
    [quote name='"KiefSweat"']

goddamn, every six months?? holy shit...
    are you doing it in the oven by chance???

my cast iron has to be re seasoned every day almost...[/quote]

Oh yeah, I season my cast iron skillets in the oven, but give them a good wipe after every use with a small dap of coconut oil. They stay seasoned a bit longer if you let the heat open the pores in the iron up a bit for the oil to get in, and coconut oil is a solid at room temp, so it has some extra staying power.

Really, though, it depends what I'm cooking. Cornbread can leech the seasoning out of a pan faster than anything I know, and I love cornbread!

Edit: saw that you're a chef, didn't mean my post to sound condescending, I had no idea you cooked so much!

14. I love how i post a thread in the concentrate section and ppl are talking about motherfucking cooking :laughing:

15. oh shit hahahahaha

my bad dude, i didnt mean to start that hahaha

i obviously dont have a skillet, or any dabbing experience whatsoever.
    ive never seen a dabbing device in real life before.

16. #16 grownthisway, Nov 4, 2012
    [quote name='"Piper1327"']I love how i post a thread in the concentrate section and ppl are talking about motherfucking cooking :laughing:[/quote]

I don't know about anyone else, but I really had to concentrate to make these posts! :bongin:

I don't know much about skillets, though. I've always used a nail and dome. :hide:

Don't you just torch it for like ten minutes to make sure it won't explode when you have your face near it?

If this thread goes unanswered too long I'll give my buddy a call and ask him, he's a hardcore wax/oil guy, and I bet he'll know.

17. Why would the skillet explode? wtf? and anyone that has an explanation for what seasoning is or how you would season a skillet would be appreciated.

Changing the title lol

18. Well I could tell you but you'll probably just post some smartass meme :wave:

19. #19 grownthisway, Nov 4, 2012
    [quote name='"Piper1327"']Why would the skillet explode? wtf? and anyone that has an explanation for what seasoning is or how you would season a skillet would be appreciated.

Changing the title lol[/quote]

Because of microscopic air pockets in the alloy. I've seen first time use nails crack and shit.

Seasoning, to my knowledge is just to make sure your surface won't shatter due to structural problems?

Just throw some bees wax on that mofo and torch it to see if you'll have an issue, if you've already smoked off it I think you're good to go.

20. :D :rolleyes: Pleeeasse HB :eek: