Someone after my plants....

Discussion in 'Security' started by mjmama25, Aug 19, 2011.

1. I was tending to my garden when I noticed the very top board of the fence on one side has been pried lose by someone trying to get a look at my plants.
    My fence boards go like this
    _____
    _____
    _____

instead of the normal side by side pattern. Anyway, the top board is busted half way off like someone on tippy toes grabbed a hold of the fence trying to look over and busted it. I went to the hardware store and got a fat bolt to hold the board on more securely and some barbed wire for the top of the fence. Any other ideas to keep people out?

More details -
    I have our security light off so it doesn't fuck up flowering, but I do have big dogs. Maybe I should hang some cow bells on the fence so if people try to come in they will for sure wake up the dogs.

2. Go with the cow bells thing also maybe put a small green house ontop of them or something with a lock, OR a fake CCTV camera.

3. More cow bell! Oh wait, sorry, I've been thinking of putting a board with a bunch of nails sticking out to stop someone from sticking their hand over the fence.

4. Hmm that may attract attention from the wrong people like cops, i think that may be illegal but maybe not you could use the excuse that birds keep shitting on your fence.

5. Good call Skunky, I'm glad I didn't go with the razor blade idea then. Maybe fishing line with little bells? How about a board flush with the top of the fence so they have no where to grip onto?

6. Damn mama, that sucks, u should defiantly invest into a camera tho. Also go to a shooting range and shoot at one of the targets and take it home and tape it to the outside of your fence.

7. LMAO that's funny. Intimidation tactics :D

We also though about stringing a wire across the top of the fence and putting an electric fence sign out there and hope people believe it.

8. String a trip alarm across the fence

9. Get a trip alarm. There are many tuts. on how to make it one .

I would go for the cow bell though .. but not the barb wire because wouldn't that be strange?

Get a green house and put your babies in there and lock it !

The dogs will take care of those people !

10. Bear trap in front of your ladies just remember where you bury it hehe.

11. #11 PirateFarmer, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2011
    Barbed wire indicates that...you want to keep people out, obviously. Then the next obvious question is..."Why"? Same with a security camera (or facsimile thereof). Although one inside the fence, unseen from outside it, in case someone does make it inside the perimeter is a good thing.
    Kill the curiosity, by giving them nothing to look at. Perhaps a secondary screen of some sort, inside the perimeter fence. Shade cloth, a large potted plant or a in-ground bush, an arbor w/ vines...anything that would look natural and block the view if they do look over the fence. Even if they're still suspicious, they have to risk the dogs just to see {possibly} nothing, anyways. A clothes line is very natural and good...but not so effective, if you put your sexsies on it. :p A cowbell is a bit too obvious, and overkill - or should be...if it takes a large bell to awaken your dogs, you need to give your dogs hearing aids! Or keep them out of your stash. :smoke:
    Seriously, a small bell like they put on the end of a fish pole to let you know when a fish strike is on is cheap, and not so loud any neighbor could hear it, too. Better yet, what I do is scatter old, dry branches outside the fence. It makes a bit of a racket (which they won't like) and alerts the dogs...while appearing totally natural, with obvious benefits. If the situation is such that you can do so, plant a thorny bush of some sort there - either native to the area, a rose bush, or the Tree of Pain...a medium-sized bush that lives up to its name...and is actually recommended by at least one insurance company as a burglar-deterrent. Um, I might clarify one point: if you do decide to scatter some dry branches around the outside, don't so as a stoner friend of mine did...pile so many in one spot that the neighbor actually was able to climb up on top of it and see over...luckily, she was a nudist and didn't have any plants in the back yard to see...well, except for one certain "bush"...:D
    Hope this gives you some ideas to work with.

12. ^^ this guy knows whatsup. Also I think the fake electric fence is gonna get you unwanted attention.

13. People already know the plants are there. There is no hiding them. I live in town with an apartment building that overlooks my back yard. Really not an ideal place to grow. I just have to keep people from getting them. Barbed wire, cow bells, big guard dogs, whatever I have to do to keep people from getting in. The cow bell idea is partly to scare the ripper themselves AND alert my dogs. If I was sneaking around at night and tripped a cow bell I'd have a heart attack and want to get the hell out of there.

14. #14 PirateFarmer, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2011
    Oh. I thought it was more an issue of preventing them from seeing in than actually stopping them from getting in.
    In that case, a simple, inexpensive motion-detector hooked up to that big old security light you mentioned having, and perhaps a relay to a small car-battery-powered fence charger..which is in turn attached to a copper wire ran just off the top of the board (to avoid grounding it out). Direct the beam along the top board. When they grab the top board, they also lay their hands on the wire, while tripping the motion detector. The charger is activated, a strong jolt (feels like one big-ass rubber band is snapped on you), while the light comes on...and since you've conditioned the dogs to praise and treats at the fence whenever the light comes on, they're blinded, jolted (not enough to harm - but it'll make them yelp, further attracting the dogs' attentions) and charged by eager dogs expecting to eat something at that fence. Not exactly conducive to a stealth operation to steal your plants.You (or the dear hubby) comes out with what might appear to be (or is) a weapon and to treat and praise the dogs, the lights cycle off in a few minutes (probably not on long enough to affect the plants - certainly not as bad as being ripped out of the pots).
    The downside: you'll probably have to keep a shovel handy to pick up the crap you just scared out of some would-be ninjas.
    Who says security can't be fun? :devious:

http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=12602&cat_id=170

This is the one I use to keep 17 goats inside electric netting...and keep hungry coyotes out. Trust my personal experience...it hurts. Uses 1 car battery or direct into house current w/ the same non-lethal jolt. My way of saying 'thank you' for sharing that fabulous grow log w/ us.

15. Woah there mcgyver

16. You could build one of those electric fences from Jurassic Park. That'd keep them out for sure :hide:

17. Nah, this is actually a very simple thing to do. It also covers every one of her concerns she's mentioned...and cheap, to boot. They won't get jolted until/unless they actually start to trespass, which keeps her legal (as long as she hides the pot), discrete enough to avoid attracting unwanted attention (by the cops, neighbors or potential thieves), and effective...would YOU stick around or come back for a second try? Hell, man - if a cowbell will scare away a pot thief, then this will keep his buddies away, too!
    Total cost with the energizer, etc., AC adapter or used car battery is less than $125, not counting the motion detector...can usuall find them on eBay for about $25. A $150 security system activated only by an actual intruder (assuming you adjust the motion detector to filter out small birds). Compare that to the value of those lovely ladies she has growing.

18. roofing nails .. pounds & pounds of roofing nails.

that way you can just follow the trail back to their place an tell em to GTFO

okay okay .. all joking aside.. motion detector hooked up to a sprinkler system ? seriously, you gonna rip some plants while getting soaked? maybe some stuff will get a quick "five finger" but not the entire garden

I used to wire those m.d.spotlights to work as a front door alarm back in my dealing days.install the detector outside , but wire the lights to go off inside. works well as an early warning alarm.

19. I have the fever and only a cowbell can cure it!!

20. insert a row of razor blades on the backside of the top board of the fence. unseen from the other side and a painful lesson to the asshat the grabs onto the top of the fence to climb it.

but yeah motion sensor spotlights are probably a better idea.