Some very good news for Michigan

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Sir_Buddington, Feb 1, 2009.

1. I hate when the news uses Cheech and Chong references. It gives the MMJ movement a bad name.

2. It's very sad that the Ann Arbor is publishing such bad information.

Here are the bullet points with my comments in parrens:

Here are details of Michigan's medicinal marijuana program

• Patients who qualify for the program must register with the Michigan Department of Community Health.
    (the new law protects patients without the state ID card. No one is required to register.)

• Registered caregivers must be 18 or older. Patients under 18 must have the consent of a parent or guardian.
    (caregivers must be 21)

• There's a $100 annual fee.
    (only if someone chooses to get an ID card)

• Patients must suffer from a debilitating medical condition:n Cancer, glaucoma, HIV positive, AIDS, hepatitis C, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Chrohn's disease, agitation of Alzehimer's disease or nail patella.
    (Those are conditions that a ID card can be issued for. The conditions for protection under the new law are unlimited.)

• A chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition or its treatment that produces one or more of the following - cachexia or wasting syndrome, severe or chronic pain, severe nausea or seizures.
    (Again much of that applies to the ID card program.)

• A physician must state in writing that the patient has a qualifying debilitating medical condition. Medical doctors and doctors of osteopathic medicine are the only physicians qualified to sign the paperwork.
    (A statement can be made orally by a doctor and at that moment the patient is lawful. Written statements from a doctor make it easier for the patient to defend themselves. Written letters ARE required to get an ID card.)

I would expect the Ann Arbor News to do a better job than that.

3. I wrote a letter to the writer of that article. Hopefully the next thing he writes will be hemp oil related.

4. I hope so also. But every time I've tried to present the information to them nothing has been reported.

Before the election, MCCC, MPP, MINorml and it seems every other group requested that information about curative properties of marijuana not be talked about.

That same request seems to be in effect.

These folks specifically asked me to be quiet. They wished to avoid contriversy for the election. I have no idea why they wish to avoid the topic now.