Some Veg stage questions

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Charzard, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Hey GC!

I'm 2.5 weeks in to my first grow, and I have some questions about things I can/can't do during the veg stage.

I'm currently growing 8 clones in 8 smart pots. I received the clones when they were just over a week old and had rooted well. I planted them in 8 smart pots, 6 of them went in 2gal's and 2 of them had to go in 5gal's because I didn't have any more 2gals (mistake). I used 100% foxfarm ocean forest soil (mistake). Since, I have solved a humidity problem that was causing my plants to dry up super fast, I'm maintaining humidity in the high 30's now. As good as I'm going to get it. Temps are stable, never above 76 never below 68.

The two 5gal plants have been growing at an obviously slower pace and (one more than the other) has had a lot of dry/wilting problems I can see on the leaves. I transplanted these two today, in to 5gal's with a 2part/3part mix of light warrior/ocean forest soil to make it considerably lighter and I am assuming easier for the plants. I'm waiting to see how those two respond to replace the soil in the 2gals with the same mix. I also added 2 fans on the plants today, until now it has been strictly an exhaust fan keeping air moving, hoping this will bulk my stems up.

Does that sound like a decent plan^?

And, If I have been growing on an 18/6 light schedule, but want to increase these plants growth before I switch to flower, (I would say another two/three weeks) can I switch to 24hr light right now?

Thanks for the help! May post photos of the plants tonight if I get some good input.

2. From what I know, switching from 18/6 to 24/0 shouldn't do anything harmful. Not having to transplant those 2 you started in 5 gallon pots will make you not regret starting them in 5 gal pots. Respect for being smart and getting monitors for humidity and temp. Be sure you have a PH meter. Fans should definitely make a noticeable difference on stems.
    My biggest piece of advice is to be prepared to be more patient than you ever thought you would have to be. Also, you don't grow the weed. It's weed, it knows how to grow, your job is to just give it the right environment and correct amount of nutrients and it'll do what it knows how to do. Also, the problem is hardly ever nute deficiency. Plants should only need plain water (not tap water) for a while (and dont overwater,). I often see my weed growing slower than i wish it would and assumed it needed something and over fed and over watered it.

3. IMO i would always have a dark cycle, whether 18/6 or 20/4. the dark period encourages the most of your root growth and we all know that a healthy root system is key for 1) overall uptake for growth, and 2) larger and denser blossoms when in flowering. just a pointer though GL!

4. I've been researching marijuana for about 2 years now throughout my time around it (4 years ish). I have only been researching growing heavily for about 6 months. I appreciate the input man, I'd say hit up that 20/4 cycle. Also, be sure to let your plants reach maturity in veg, the plants i flowered early are doing lame compared to my mature one.

5. Jorge says 18/6 plants are more likely to be female than 24/0 plants, and 16/8 plants are even more likely than that to be female... just food for thought there