Some simple questions?

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by staydubbin, Jul 11, 2011.

1. I'm about to start my first grow. I've been reading up on here daily and have got a idea for the first run I think. But I do have a couple questions.
    1. When do I top the plants?
    2. When should I start LST? And for how long
    3. What is the average yield for a micro grow? I understand that is a pretty vague question but any of your inPut would be greatly appreciated!

2. i agree. we need a sticky explaining what exactly a micro grow is.

3. personally i start LSTing my plants a week from when they break soil, some people may argue this stresses the plants to much but i seem to have good results with it and as for topping from what i have read after you have the 3rd or 4th sets of growth ( please correct me if i'm wrong)

4. I top and/or fim my plants as many times as i find necessary and do it about the 3rd or 4th set of nodes, not earlier.
    About the LST i'd say you can start as soon as you want but i wouldn't do it before at least a full week of stable growth.
    As for the yield it is just impossible to say, there are so many factors that'll change it, you can yield from nothing to a full once in a pc grow box.

5. I LSTed about the same time as 420smurf and topped at the 4th set. Seems to be working ok. If I took a pic of the main stem you would see it running almost parallel to the soil. I think it would be harder to really pull the plant to the soil the larger the stem gets. I used garden wire in a u shape tucked into the soil until it reached the edge of the pot. I have a thread, My smoker grow if you wanted to check it out. Not sure what my yield will be but it will be better next time around. Made a few noob mistakes this trip. Still decent for my needs though.

6. Can I keep topping them?

7. #7 staydubbin, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2011
    Are there better strains to use then others?

8. I usually top around the 3rd or 4th node whether seed or clone.

I usually see new growers get about 1/4 to 1/2 gram per watt of cfls if they have healthy plants and a nice full canopy.

You can top them all you want..you can top the tops, then they'll split into more tops to top! I think of a plant having a certain amount of "energy" to grow buds though..and the more you top the plant, the smaller the tops get and the smaller the buds will be...I believe there's a "sweet spot" with topping..ending up with a certain number of tops per given area...too big of buds will shade the others and too small of buds just don't produce enough. Even in larger setups with 2000watts I still end up topping my plants so that the largest dried buds end up being an eighth or quarter at most.

indicas to sell and sativas to smoke ;) lol