Some questions to ponder...

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by mrblonde77, Apr 23, 2007.

1. A couple questions to ponder...

The universe is 13.7 billion years old.
    The earth is 4.5 billion years old.
    What in the fuck was "god" doing before he made our oh so important mother earth?
    Jesus lived only 2,000 years ago.
    What the fuck was the point of creating the earth 4,499,998,000 years before his son was going to come and "save" us all?

The universe is 156 billion lightyears wide.
    1 lightyear is 6 trillion miles.
    That means the universe is 936000000000000000000000 miles wide.
    The earth is only 8,000 miles wide.
    You really think "god" gives a flying fuck about our tiny ass earth, or even YOU?!
    Please....

Thinking about these questions alone makes me hate religion more than I already do...which is a lot.

2. Time is irrelevant before and after our existence with our ability to perceive time.

Unless of course there is another being out there that also has the same concept of time. Doubtful, since our time is based on how long it takes for the earth to rotate 380 degrees and revolve around the sun.

Have you ever thought that this "god" created another planet with beings on it such as ourselves way before us? Or maybe "it" created many other universes with many other instances of existence and limitless possibilities.

Just because you can put it into numbers doesn't rule out any possibility. Just because it's improbable doesn't mean its impossible.

If such a "god" exists our capabilities to judge "it's" actions is just not there.

Instead of spending your time hating something, maybe you should spend your time for more positive outcomes? I used to hate religion too but you can get dizzy running around in circles.

I look at the universe and realize that there is so much mystery yet to be solved or pondered, so I waste not on what we know but look foward to finding something new. Time is ever flowing, so our ideas and thoughts should be too.

3. Exactly.

And where are these numbers coming from? how exactly does someone even estimate the approximate 'width' of the universe? I'd say It's pretty much impossible and completely unfathomable for humans to wrap our simple minds around.

4. Oh how our minds are so oblivious to our surroundings. From the edges of the universe to under our very noses.

5. Christians believe the earth is only 10,000 years old

6. It's because we focus our "eyes" well beyond our surroundings before we even glance around and within us.

We go from A To Z but forget everything in between! :p

7. No....

It's been proven the Earth is a lot older than that with fossils, radiocarbon dating and other things.

8. We are told what to believe but how much of what we believe have we actually checked out for ourselves? How much has been doctrine that has been hand fed to us? Why do we believe the way we do? Not the standard precanned answer but really why do we believe what we believe. Be honest. How much was learned and how much was passed down preformed ideas?

9. Theres no way to tell exactly how large the universe is at this point considering that we're limited by the set distance that light can travel over since the start of the universe till now. theres plenty of observational data that suggests this is only a tiny piece of the whole.

10. Yes but a lot of christians, even though they don't always say it, still for some reason believe the earth is only thousands instead of billions of years old, it's quite silly really.
    Ps - +rep for Mr. Blonde for fun facts...except for the width of the universe...but all else is good!

11. Statistically I guess that's true, but humanity is stupid so that's not saying much. I'm Christian and It's not that we believe the Earth is not as old as suggested It's more complicated than that. The Earth is obviously quite old as to what we consider, yet at the same time so young compared to other planets, stars etc.

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing."

12. yeah, family gatherings are a bitch

13. Not if you go by the bible it isn't more complicated. People who follow the bible believe the earth is only so many thousands of years old, if they don't, it's just because they aren't a true christian and go by their own rules, only following some parts of the bible. Some people have different beliefs regarding christianity, but I guess you could since the bible itself has no real backing and making your own rules is pretty much the same thing. And no I'm not trying to insult you.

14. Lachrymose, here you are guilty of a logical fallacy. False Dichotomy to be exact. Christian literalists are not representative of christianity as a whole. Infact, you could argue that christian mysticists (gnostics really, who interpret the bible quite differently than your average jesus-believer) are more on the right track. Either way, no single christian tradition can claim to be the one and only true christianity. And it certainly is not up to us non-believers to define what christianity is or isn't.

15. Most Christians do NOT believe that the earth is only 6,000 years old. The ones that do are just plain ignorant. As an atheist attending a Roman Catholic private highschool, I'll tell you they've given up on the creation story, thankfully. I'd say hardly anyone who's relatively informed believes the creation story or that the earth is only 6,000 years old.

16. Its not remotely false dichotomy because they don't have a remotely justifiable position to support anything *but* literal interpretation. Theres no acceptable criteria of interpretation that doesn't reflect; "I just made up *another* version of christianity up. criteria for interpretation vary widely, so much so that christianity A doesn't reflect christianity B and christianity C doesn't resemble christianity at all.There can be all sorts of christianities merely because people can interpret the same sentence in a billion different ways, but to call them true christianity is probably wrong, the only 'true christianity' is christianity that derives from its beginings. Or at least its an acceptable position to take.
    I don't think an arguement can be made in favor of people who do not take the bible literally in terms of what the scriptures original meaning meant to convey.
    Since christianity is false true obviously is used in a different sense and probably meant to mean christianity as it was originally meant to be understood when it was created. I think an arguement could be made whether one form of christianity is true to its original meaning or not.Just beacause someone took a religious belief system and spun thousands of denominations doesn't mean the denominations can't be looked upon as abberations of the true original.
    not to mention if you want to get into semantics true can mean anything of an origin when talking about any concepts like this.

17. this thread is a joke.

no one here knows how big the universe is, and it is pointless to spend arguing something no one knows. neither do we know how long it has been in existence.

why argue such things? we all have different opinions.

"Either there is no such thing as truth at all, or that mankind hath no sufficient means to attain certain knowledge of it."-John Locke