Some questions on my first grow....

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by RewTheJew, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Ok, so i decided to give this grow thing a go so i went and got some guides. I did my homework before i invested. Its been about a month or so since my babies germinated and were transplanted. They are three branches tall, with the fourth coming. Currently i am running a 24/7 light schedule, and root and leaf feeding. The light is a flourescent tube bulb that i got from the local hardware store. It is an aquarium/plant light, so i figure the spectrum is good. I have strictly organic soil, and fertalizer as i wanna keep the ph in soil at 7 all the time. I have heard rumors that the PH affects the sex of the plant, but this could be wrong. Also, the stems are very weak, as they topple due to their own wieght. To combat this problem, i put a small fan in their growing area so they are constantly moving, and have them propped on straws. I am hoping this will strengthin the stems..

So my questions are as follows:

Because the stems are weak, are the plants lacking anything?

Can you tell me the sex?

When is it appropriate to change the light schedule, and start flowering? What is the best light schedule for the most potent bud?

Thanks ahead of time for all your help!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. If you did your homework you would know the answers to these questions...

Your plants are lacking light -- one fluoro tube is not nearly enough. That is why your stems are so weak, the plant is stretching in search of light. How many plants are you growing?

Cannot tell sex until you start the flower stage -or- if it left to veg long enough it can start sexing but you are nowhere close to that.

You can switch to flower lighting pretty much any time you want after you have vegged enough for the plant to establish itself. The longer you veg the more bud sites you will have. For flower you want a light cycle of 12 hours on and 12 hours off using a light with the appropriate spectrum (red-orange). There are certain fluoros that deliver that spectrum but a HPS light is best for flower.

3. ^-----Yup, what he said.

4. Thanks for the advice.. I added about 300 more watts of halogen lights, the room shines like heaven. I will keep foliaging for another few weeks, or until i feel the plant is ready to start flowering. I suppose i didnt realize that i needed so much light in order to be successful. Thanks again for the info, i will let you know my results in the near future.

5. Oh no, take them Halogens out. They have the wrong spectrum for growing and get really hot. I suggest buying CFLs the lightbulbs that swirl because they are cheap to get and run plus they don't get that hot.

6. i meant CFL's, i got the same bulbs as montecristo was using the NVision Soft White and Cool Whites. Two 150 watt, and there 100 watt. That way i am running the same amount of wattage, for both bulb types.

7. Halogens are absolutely useless. Read my link on Lamp Spectra, a technical thread written by runner´s high.