Some questions about my grow

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by CreamofMushroom, May 26, 2007.

1. I currently have 5 seeds in a 5x2.5x1.5 stealth grow cab. I have a 250w mh hooked up to a hps/mh electrical ballast. I have a small metal fan rigged as an exaust fan.

My questions are:

1. What is the minimum hourly amount of light i need to give my plants in order for them to stay in veg(right now its on 6/18). I ask because the fan is a bit loud and if anybody comes close to the cab they'll be able to hear it. If i can push it to 8/16 id help a lot. Is it advisable to leave your fans on in the dark?

2. Temps. RIght now my cab hovers at about 34C(93.2F) I know thats high, but is it way too high? I've ordered 4 32 cfm silent computer fans than im hoping to replace my rigged fan from canadian tire. I origionally had a 105 cfm axel fan but it was much too loud. Will the 4 computer fans be enough?

3. I read on my lamp packaging that scratched lamps should be replaced. While fiddling around with the cab(adjusting venting/light leaks) i made a small, shallows scratch (barely noticeable) in both my MH and my HPS. Is this anything to worry about?

4. Whats a good way to raise humidity without going through the trouble of buying a humidifier? Right now the humidity is around 30-40. I'm hoping that as i break my cab in the wood it's made out of will absorb more water and will therefor suck less of it out of the air.

Any suggestions/answers will be greatly appreciated. :smoke:

2. I assume you mean 18 on and 6 off. That will keep you in veg. 93 deg. is pretty hot. You should keep your fan on all the time. Your 4 computer fans should be adequate. You should try to keep the temps under 85. 75 being more optimum.

3. I bumped you today, but you did not respond to me. What else. Humidity? Other than a humidifier, you can put a bucket in the room It will help some. Not sure about the scratches, doesn't sound too bad.

4. ALright, thanks man. I managed to get the temps down to 87ish by installing an axel fan and the humidity up to 40 by spraying the cab down with water every morning. Lamps seem to be workin fine. The electric ballast i bought is absolutely amazing. Seeds should be germin any day now.

5. You could get away with 16 hrs light in veg, your plants will not grow nearly as fast.

93F is too hot. Even 87F is too hot. Ideal temps are in the 70s, definitely not above 85F -- above that temp the plants have difficulty uptaking CO2 (in other words, they can't breathe). Be sure you are measuring your temps underneath the light at plant-top height.

You scratched both bulbs? If it's the bulbs you are talking about then they could explode, I would replace them. If you want to proceed with the risk then wear safety goggles, a long-sleeve jacket and gloves whenever you work in the box -- if either bulb explodes you don't want molten-hot razor-sharp glass shards in your skin.

6. I've burnt both lamps for awhile and they seem to be fine. The MH has been burning for days now. Like i said, the scratches are barely there and they have no depth them. They're on the tob of both bulbs and are invisible unless you're looking for them. I'm going out today and buying an air conditioner for my room(where the box is). I'm hoping that by keeping my room around 50/60 and adding a few more cfm the box will cool down into the 70s. I dont think im going to have to go down to 16 hrs of light. 3 of the 5 seedlings broke the surface this morning.