Some Questions About Growing.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Lithium7, Apr 28, 2010.

1. So, I still live with my parents and theres no way I could ever pull off an indoor grow. So I've been thinking about trying a small outdoor grow with some bagseeds I have. Now theres probably a few threads that might answer some of my questions, but I'm going to include them all in this thread, and feel free to answer me or redirect me to a thread that does.

So here are my questions.

1. Bagseeds from mids, grow mids right?
    2. What are the pro's and con's of outdoor growing compared to indoor?
    3. How often would I need to check on the plants?
    -- Since these plants can obviously grow naturally, what will happen if I just plant them there and leave them there and come back for harvesting? (Just a thought)
    4. Is in the woods an ideal place for the plants? (Due to lack of sunlight)
    5. What temperature will kill the plants, its been very chilly recently, and what temperature do they grow at best?
    6. How much on average does one plant yield at harvest?
    7. How long do these plants take to fully grow?
    -- What are the stages of growing and how long do they last?
    8. I've heard or read somewhere that the male cannabis plants are supposed to be uprooted to avoid something, what happens if you leave all the plants growing?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. 1- bagseed from mids that is taken care of properly can be pretty decent bud if treated well. but you really dont know what kind of genetics are there.
    2- outdoor is better because you dont need to create wind, light, co2, and other things you find naturally. but you cant control the light cycle and there are usually more pests outdoors. and of course there is no better light than the sun.
    3- you would need to care for them every 3-4 days depending on the conditions outdoors but they can probably be left for a week or so at the longest. this is if you are taking very good care of the plants which is a good idea because its the right way to do things. planting seeds and coming back in 4 months will almost never work. you will have pollinated females and bud with seeds in it if you did so. and thats even if any of the little seedlings survive.
    4- they need a good 4-6 hours of direct sunlight for good growth. of course that is the minimum and the more the better. if the forest has a lot of shade for most of the day and there isnt a good opening then it probably isnt practical.
    5- once the temps get really low cannabis starts to dye. frost can kill seedlings. a good temp range is like 75-86. they can survive in colder and a little bit warmer but they dont do as well.
    6- plants that are taken care of can yield up to 3 ounces or more. the more light the more yield.
    7- be prepared for a good 4-5 month time period. veg growth can be 1-2 months, then flowering depends on strain. mostly 2-3 month flowering period, some strains can be late finishers.
    8- kill the males because they pollinate the females which results in seeds in your bud

3. #3 johnjohn, Apr 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2010
    1. Bagseeds from mids, grow mids right? pretty much

2. What are the pro's and con's of outdoor growing compared to indoor?

indoor pros: control everything, convenience, stealthiness?, less pest problems
    indoor cons: can be expensive, time-consuming, especially when you have problems with heat, ventilation, or humidity, and artificial anything does not compare with nature, less yield

outdoor pros: less work, sun, wind, rain, nature is great, big yield
    outdoor cons: dealing with pests, stealthiness, cant control everything, like if you wanted to start flowering early or something

3. How often would I need to check on the plants? once a week or more often

-- Since these plants can obviously grow naturally, what will happen if I just plant them there and leave them there and come back for harvesting? (Just a thought)

dry spell, they might need water, during flowering they will need water like every 3rd day, also, if they are not feminized and you have males and females, you will get seeds and shit weed, they could die, but they could also live and be good to harvest

4. Is in the woods an ideal place for the plants? (Due to lack of sunlight)

woods are good but they will need some sun for optimal bud, find a spot in the woods that has decent sun

5. What temperature will kill the plants, its been very chilly recently, and what temperature do they grow at best?

best at 75F or so, they will probably get damaged below 40F and above 120F, if you do not want to stress them, keep them anywhere from 60-90 but if they are outside and its 100 with nice wind, they will be fine, nature is better for this than indoor 100F

6. How much on average does one plant yield at harvest?

it depends on your size of pot and the strain it is, if you are just sticking the seed in the ground it might be a big ass tree with a nice yield but its better to keep in pots for more control... doing lst or topping always helps but if you are looking just for a stupid estimate, i would say like half a pound

7. How long do these plants take to fully grow?
    -- What are the stages of growing and how long do they last?

they will veg first and when sun gets less hours per day they will start to flower, they will be flowering for about 8-10 weeks depending on strain and type of MJ (sativa or indica)

8. I've heard or read somewhere that the male cannabis plants are supposed to be uprooted to avoid something, what happens if you leave all the plants growing?

male plants have sacks of pollen and knock up your bitches, so unless you want the pregnant females to focus their strength on producing seeds instead of bud, you need to kill the males as soon as they show sex, that way you get nice strong sensimilla...

i wrote this quickly and do not grow outdoors but it should give you a good idea...

4. Thanks for both your replies! I will take it all into consideration.

Still open to anyone else who wants to answer my questions.

5. For your 1st question, bagseed from mids can grow pretty good bud. Search for bagseed grow in the growing forums and you'll find some grows to look at.