Some questions (0$ grow)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by taidenkou, Oct 1, 2012.

1. #1 taidenkou, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2012

2. also super sorry about the size of those photos i thought they would come out smaller

3. They are imgur pictures, add a L (use the lowercase l though) right before the .jpg in each picture, it will resize it.

4. Hey taidenkou, welcome to GC. Looking good. When you transplant, make sure to add some sort of aeration amendment to your soil. You've got to have it in there. Peat moss/compost/topsoil is going to get way to heavy after a while. Add some perlite, pumice, rice hulls, whatever. Make it about 25-30% of your soil (seriously). This will help avoid a multitude of problems down the line. Also, when you top dress, top dress with compost, way better than topsoil.

It's great that you're using the water from your fish tank. But you are going to need some additional nutrients, cannabis is a hungry plant. Pick up a balanced, dry organic fertilizer like Espoma "tomato tone" "garden tone" or "plant tone", Dr. Earth "all purpose" or "tomato and vegetable blend", Down to Earth "all purpose" or
    "tomato and vegetable blend" and mix some into the soil, along with your aeration amendment, before you transplant. Add 1/4 cup of the dry organic fertilizer for every 1 gallon of soil, and mix it in. hth

5. it looks very healthy, well done mate. it is stretching quite a bit, this is the lack of light by the looks of it. what lights are you using? those lamp reflectors aren't doing you many favours. as already been said your final mix should consist of 30% perlite. it's great stuff and will help the soil drain bringing in fresh oxygen which the roots need and thrive when in abundance

6. #6 taidenkou, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2012

7. #7 jetski, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2012
    what's a 60watt warm round bulb? is that an incandescent? that is possibly what's causing the stretching. what are the temperatures? I have never known anyone to have low temperature concerns on an indoor grow before.

the reflectors are not really ideal. are you able to cut them almost in half? so you have the reflector on just one side. then position the lamp so the side of the bulb is facing the plants. the side usually has a bigger surface area.

or you could make some reflectors out of old beer cans

[​IMG]

8. ^Now THAT is DIY!

9. Here are the lights im using so far
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so that's:
    60 watt 120 volt soft white (incand)
    18w 120v 60hz (the cfl with green writing; the kind i probably need)
    GE helical 13w 120 v 60hz
    and a 14w 120v 60hz

Ill grab some cans today, as well as some sockets without reflectors so that i can give this guy better lighting

10. Good plan. Make sure you position the plant as close as possible to the lights. CFLs can't penetrate well, so you've got to get the plant close. Also, you want 6000K CFL bulbs ("daylight" bulbs- the bright bluish light) for vegging and 2700K CFL bulbs (soft white, warmer) for flowering.

11. #11 jetski, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2012
    the best thing about making the beer can reflectors is that the cans come with free beer :)

those red neck reflectors are surprisingly effective and so easy to make.
    make the hole in the end of the can off centre thus bringing the bulb away from the reflector slightly otherwise the bulb will be touching it. although it depends how wide your cans and bulbs are I guess

12. Red Neck Reflectors is easily the greatest thing I have seen in awhile. Necessity really is the mother of invention.