Some q's about SOG

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by dichev, Mar 12, 2008.

1. First of all greetings :) so the thing is that I'm prety stoned and my creativity levels are up and I started thinking about that bad ass system called Sea of Green. So my plan is to set up two growing boxes, one for the mother and the clones and another one for flowering ( first q is up (haha) "Why there is no veg for the clones?"). I'll use CFLs (don't ask me why I can't explain that shit in English :D) and just for start I'll buy 16 lamps 8 for each box and in time I'll add more lights. And when I build them I'll plant some seeds and get rid of the males after I sex the plants and I'll select the strongest 1-2 plants that I'll use for a mother plants. I'll let them grow big enought and will take clones every two weeks (Yep u gess the second q is up tell me country within the Balkans with 8 words... no no I'm just ciddin' so... the real shit is that I don't know how much clones I can get from one or two mothers can u tell me the best number :) ). So when the clones are well ready with the roots I'll remove them from the one box to the flower box and they will stay there for I don't know how long time. So I as you know already that I don't know shit about SOG and need some answers so thanks for them!

2. The clones grow fast and into another plant; I don't know where you heard that you don't veg clones, but you have to, for it to become a plant...

Well, when you want a clone you take any clipping really from the mother plant. So the only way to estimate this, is to know how your growing the plants. (fimming, topping, LST, none) B/c if you do top or do LST, your plant will have a lot of horizontal growth and allow for a lot more clippings for clones (and keep it small to help with space).

3. No, entirely incorrect. He is talking about Sea of Green. Im guessing he was looking at Al B. Fucts thread on getting a harvest every two weeks, thats where he got the no veg. Al B. doesnt veg clones at all, and neither will I. The idea of not vegging the clones for a SOG op is to keep the plants relatively short for maximum light penetration. Essentially you are growing one single cola (bud) on each plant, cramming as many plants into one area for maximum yield. LST, fimming, topping, etc is not in dichev's plan in this op, only for the mothers. Make sure you read up on what was posted and are well informed before giving or taking any advice.

As to the lighting situation, you wont be pleased with results of cfls in a sog op, unless you plan to put a shit load of cfls in the flower box (2700k 42w/2600 lumens a piece). Best minimum figure to set as a goal is 50w per sq ft of space. Example: 4'x2' space is 8 sq ft - 400w HPS is ample for the 50w per sq ft target. Ideally you should shoot for 75-100w per sq ft.

Hope this clarifies things for you. Happy growing.

4. okay so I would buy 8x30w 2700k that is 16000 lumens is this enough?

5. 75-100 watts per square foot is much more than needed. Anything more than 50 watts and it's a waste. Even with added co2 plants can only "digest" 50-60 watts. Plus 100 watts per square foot would be hot as hell.

I say ditch the cfl's and get a 250 watt metal halide for the mother and clones, and a 400 watt hps for flowering.

6. That quote is from another person asking for lighting advice on this thread. So basically Dport, your saying toastybiz, who is an experienced and respectable grower, is wrong? 50-60w is all they can digest huh? Hmm who to trust, experienced growers or you.

Yea it will get hot, thats what proper ventilation and air cooled reflectors do for you, they vent out the heat.

"DIGEST" lol

I was reading what you were asking Al B. on his thread. If you were wanting to pull two plants every two weeks, thats 8 total plants/clones in your flower box. If your using soil you will want 8" pots at least, making your flower chamber in the neighborhood of 36"x24". Thats 6 sq ft, and from those dimensions you can easily calculate what lighting you will need.