Some problems: leaf curling, yellow leaf tips, yellow margins

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by caloot, Dec 9, 2009.

1. First off, thank you.
    First time growing is not easy.

Ok. so. Im having a couple of problems with my plants. The stats are:

These plants are all six weeks old, (time from rooted clone)
    They were transplanted 2.5 weeks ago into 3 gallon pots of soil mix comprised of: (rough amounts)
    a bale of pot of gold potting soil
    25# worm castings
    1 cup dolomite lime
    2 cups blood meal
    2 cups happy frog guano
    3/4 cup epsom salt
    1 bag vermic
    1 bag perlite

I have a waterproof digital ph meter, but only a crappy soil meter... even so the soil comes out at like 6.5

the temperature in the room, at the canopy is 75-80

i live at 9000 ft. and the relative humidity is low, 35-40 percent (i have a humidifier... and have used it but truthfully the humidity fluctuates when i do. It seems to be difficult to keep up the humidity while properly venting the grow room... Im moving air w/ 6" inline fan in ceiling to outside, while pulling air from the next room basement at the floor

they are under a 600w mh about 10 or so inches from light. and are (.. 24 hours of light... I know, i should be at 18/6, but dont want to change now for fear of stress, and hermy.) i rotate plants regularly under light.

since transplanting i have not fed plants... only 6.8ph water with small amount of superthrive... water is allowed to breath for a week before watering.(which i just started doing 2 weeks ago.. before then it was just tap) and i seem to be watering about every 7 days based on a rapitest water meter. I have foliar fed once with diluted fox farm big tomato... half teaspoon per gallon

the strains........................ the problem
    pic 3... 2 ak............one has yellow leaf tips, other is best plant with no problems
    pic 5....lemon g........small amount of leaf curling up while tips drop down
    pic 4....sour diesel....yellow spotting, esp along margins w/ some browning
    pic 2....unknown.......leaf curling down,,, (ram horns)
    ...........2 juicy fruit....no problems...

Most problems occur around top of plant.. the diesel has that problem everywhere..

I have had a number of problems since the start..

problem one... one clone came with spider mites... I battled with prethrum (3 rounds spaced 3 days apart), and eventually got rid of plant... there are NO signs of mites on the other plants but I have hot spot no pest strips just in case.

I went away and the person watching my plants screwed up and didnt water.. came home to very drooping plants... water saved them.. (but the juicy fruit strain was affected the most... i removed 70 percent of leaf mass,,, and they came back.. they are the smallest but they are very healthy, and are growing. ) this occured 3.5 weeks ago... so i transplanted maybe 2 weeks after...

The sour diesel has been a problem from almost the get go,, yet it does grow.

All the plants could grow faster... (yea I know, u all have said that before) the one ak plant seems to be shy of an inch a day.. the rest are slow.

Hopefully I can figure out whats going on.. These plants are not bad..they look for the most part ok but, i dont want anything to lead to more problems.

Once again... Thank you.

Caloot in Crusty Butte

Attached Files:

2. I have the same issue and no one has posted a reply to my post, almost 100 views.

Good Luck!

Frag Out!

3. Hello, Its tough because it could be humidity/temp fluctuation, overfertilization, Ph issues, or even root bound. Try and go through the list eliminating each one until you are left with one or two possibilities. Rootbound is pretty easy to look for. Lift the pots up and see if the roots are coming out of the bottom, if so they are root bound. Some times you have to take them right out of the pot to check if they are root bound. You can also try and flush the soil with plain water and see what happens. Keep in touch and maybe we can help.

4. 4th pic looks like one of three defficiencys cal/mag/zinc... buy some botanicare cal-mag plus that will solve that problem, the others could be a lack of nitrogen make sure the runoff Ph is 6.5-6.8... do you test the soil runoff with the Ph pen or just the soil tester( there junk toss it )? and are you calibrating the pen everytime you use it with a buffered solution?

5. Hey people... caloot here. So first of all i must say that i can definity relate to the fact that diffrent strains have diffrent needs. That said, My first step was to start using the humidifier much more consistently, and always on.. this increased the humidity in the room to about mid 50s. This seemed to have helped with the leaf curling (rams horn style). My next step was to water and feed with big tomato... i hadnt used any food yet, so i mixed a diluted amount and watered... now i realised that i had not been watering properly at this point... and had not been allowing enough excess water through... which i think might have led to a salt buildup...

A week went by, and i saw rapid growth on all the plants, a significant lessening in the rams horns. As to the yellow and rust colored splatches..... for a week and half all was good, but then I noticed spreading of this symptom slightly...

it was time to water, so I flushed all the affected plants with enough water for 6 gallons of runoff.. Both ak47 are doing wonderfully, and has grown at a rate of roughly 1-1.5 inches daily... Didnt flush them.

as far as testing runoff i have not... i do calibrate the pen... i do want to get a better test for the soil, but as of now, im not going to attempt any major adjustments to soil. there is growth on all plants, with no problem that seems to be overwhelming...
    I will wait to see what happens after the flush... Im getting ready to take clones off of these plants in a couple of days.. figuring that the flush would be good for that anyway... then maybe a week after i want to flower. I am interested in the botanicare cal-map plus,, and may consider use on the next feed.

thanks for all your input... anymore would be great..