Some of my art

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by DaneAlex, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Most of these are assignments from visual thinking. I'll explain the assignments if it helps you make sense of some of it, haha

[​IMG]

2006 - This was my first assignment in Graphic Design I. We had to pick a clothing line and create a possible logo for them. The main shape is actually 2 a's... mirrored one and attached them. Created using Adobe Illustrator

[​IMG]

2006 - "Nychtophobia: Fear of the Dark" for my Illustration I class. One of my few stabs at painting somewhat realistically, albeit a little cartoony.

[​IMG]

2003 - Pretty self explanatory, haha. This was from 10th grade, Art II. Mixed media--mostly pastels (my teacher forced me to use them although I'm not that fond of them) and acrylic paint. Took about 3 weeks working 5 days a week on it in 45-minute increments.

[​IMG]

2003 - This is my first "real" attempt at painting. Tenth grade, Art II, took about 2 months using one to two 45-minute sessions five days a week. The assignment was... my teacher brought her digital camera to class, and she went around the room and took a picture of each student showcasing a single physical feature... We had to then recreate a work of art inspired by the picture. Most just duplicated their images using graphite or charcoal, but I asked for something a little challenging, so she grabbed a 3' x 2.5' canvas and handed me about a dozen paintbrushes.

[​IMG]

2004 - After the "Self portrait" assignment above, my teacher insisted a paint a 5' x 5' section of ceiling tiles, composed of three horizontal panels. The limitation: I had to replicate a famous work of art that many people are familiar with. I had recently been to NYC and had the opportunity to see the actual "Starry Night," so obviously it was pretty fresh in my mind. I'm not fond of the bottom, I feel like I could have been a little truer to the style of the rest of the painting. Oh well, I'm happy with it overall.

[​IMG]

2007 - This is something I did on my own... I had been playing a lot with ink at the time, so I started with a large, rectangular ink blowing. Then I began to literally finger-paint with bold acrylic colors. After that, I diluted paint in water and began to splash. This is one of my most enjoyable pieces just because it was so fun to make. Sorry the picture isn't that clear, I took it with my MacBook, haha.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2008 - Still life for Drawing I.

[​IMG]

2008 - Still life of a deer-head-pinata type thing, and again with the bowling pin.

[​IMG]

2008 - More charcoal... I'm proud as hell of that kettle

[​IMG]

2008 - 10 minute sketchbook assignment, draw a building on campus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2008 - Worked forever on this one... Used ink and paintbrush, the conch shell gave me a little trouble.

2. you have alot of talent. i wish you the best of luck on your adventures

3. Thanks man, I appreciate it, same to you

4. #4 DaneAlex, Nov 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2008
    More of my stuff...

[​IMG] Cover
    [​IMG] Page 1 and 2 (Cover on back of page 1)
    [​IMG] Page 2, 3 and 4
    [​IMG] Page 5 (the back) and 6
    [​IMG] Page 6 and 7
    This assignment was for Visual Thinking, called the Visual Journal. We have to pake like a 3-foot long piece of card stock, and fold it into a book, then create a visual story. At the time, I was partying a lot, so I was honest and used one of my crazy nights. The moral of the story is that it loops... You party, medicate, feel shitty the next morning and do it all over again, haha.

[​IMG]
    Project for Illustration class... Tell a three-part story. Pretty self explanatory

[​IMG]
    One of my favorites... For Visual Thinking, we had an assignment to illustrate a fortune cookie, including (1) an actual fortune cookie, (2) the actual fortune, which was given to us in class and documented, and (3) a recreation of the saying on the fortune somewhere in the piece. My interpretation was quite literal... A heart can't have ideas, but it could if it were a brain, and instead of sending out electrical impulses to stimulate thoughts, how about it would BLEED these great thoughts, or inventions.

I'm mostly just looking for feedback. Not many people see my work, so I'd like to hear if it's positively received, and maybe how my "style" would be described.

5. You have a great talent man.

6. Thank you so much! I appreciate it! In your guys' opinions, which are my stronger pieces?

Another...
    [​IMG]
    Simple project for illustration class, Illustrate a headache

7. Hahah the headache thats very creative.

I gotta say I dig the eye the most man.

8. That seems to be everyone's favorite. Pictures don't do it justice, the piece is actually quite large.

Thanks so much for the positive feedback, I really appreciate it!

9. [​IMG]
    Shoe-box project, had to put a bunch of shit in a shoe-box, bring it to class, and draw it in ink. Not my favorite, but here she is.

10. really cool, great work.

11. nice... i really like the abstract-ish painting.

12. Wow, you are really talented. I really like the eye, it's rare I see art I would actually like to own but I really like that. Only change I would make is to enlarge the pupil :D

13. My main trouble with the eye is that the actual eye-socket is almond-shaped, and it should still be round. But alas, it was my first real painting. It's funny because there are layers with about 5 variations of that painting underneath. I kept getting different ideas, haha. Eventually my teacher was like, "Alright, five different looks is enough."

14. You've got mad talent.. That Mona Lisa picture is awesome.. so is the eye. Hell, all of it is cool. Nice job. :smoke:

15. Gracias, amigo

16. Damn man, i was thinking more of MIND = BLOWN. lol. for sure. i love the eye one with the clouds. i need to paint, i havent really ever except 2 years ago in an art class. Im in drawing now.
    dont steal my idea, but i wanna do an eye like that but show it going into a picture of inside the head. :eek:

17. Thanks for the positive feedback! Painting is more intimidating than it is difficult. I've had formal lessons here and there, but nothing compares to just diving in head-first. I never really found my groove until I just started painting something, and the eye happened.

I like your idea, though. I like when art-meets-science. One of my concepts was to turn the iris into a swirling blue vortex that would converge into the black pupil. If you look at the picture, you can still see a little of the swirls in the background. Then I got the idea to blend the night sky into the day sky.

18. Yeah i have 2 canvases that i want to paint but i need to get paint and a brush and try it out. I see the swirls.

19. Hey man, I really like the pills coming out of that shower head in the book, very creative man. The rest of your arts great too, keep it up.

20. Haha that's my favorite page... It symbolizes waking up and nursing a hang-over.