1. Win a $250 shopping spree at Grasscity.com! To enter subscribe to our youtube channel.
    Dismiss Notice

Some Newby Questions

Discussion in 'Absolute Beginners' started by paenk, May 31, 2004.

1. I have just recently decided to start growing marijuana, and I am looking for some quick info. I have read all the facts availible on the forum, and I have read some very indepth grow guides, but I still have some un-answered questions.

Being this is my first time ever trying to go what do you say my chances are?

How bad is the smell, I read in Grandpa_420's fact about deodorizing but are there any good examples that can be usedto stop odour?

I have a 200 dollar budget (canadian) do you think I will be able to affourd everything?

I am ordering my seeds off of GrassCity, but is it very reliable? Has anyone ordered from here before and recieved bad quality seeds, such as majority male or dead seeds?

My grow spaces consists of an arms span width closet. Is this going to be enough?

How important is air flow? I read alot about fans, but if I just use a regular small room fan with my window open and closet door open during the day will this be enough?

What is the regular price range for 400W HPS lights?

What is the best strand for a beginner? I was leaning towards skunk for price and accessibility. But I wouldn't mind taking on something more "industrious" if tipped.

Thank you, I have more questions but I wont waste your time with them. :)

2. Another question that is kinda more indepth...

Can you give me a complete list of EVERYTHING one would need to grow bud? Once again, I really appreciate it.

3. for a $200 budget, you're going to struggle to get everything needed, and certainly the deodorising of the smell would be an added expense......

do you need to rid the house of the smell?........could you get away with just your window open, and some incense sticks?...........are there people coming and going that you don't trust with sharing your grow?

when you clse the door to the growroom, is it sealed off from any light leaks?.........stand in it during the day, and check it.

the seeds from the city are good, don't worry about that, an easy starter strain that packs a good punch, and is much loved around the world is NL (Northern lights)

armspan size could be very diffrent depending on length of arm, better to tell us the size of it in feet (that's the measurement, not the ones you walk on......lol).........this size determines what light to use............may i suggest making the box smaller, thus only needing a smaller light, and saving a few precious $$........i have a 3'x3' growroom, and have flowered upto 7 in that space with a 400wHPS..........how much bud are you looking for?, this determines how many plants you'll need.

airflow is essential, but if you can have your door and window open, then that would work fine.......as long as no passeres -by smaell it...............i like towerfans, helps to keep the temp down over the canopy throughout the grow...........

lightprice depends on location, and availability, i paid approx £120 for mine............Peace out..........Sid

ps, what about when night comes will you still be able to keep the growroom door open?........it's a lot of light and easily spotted through woindows, as it's more yellow than a lightbulb........

4. "do you need to rid the house of the smell?........could you get away with just your window open, and some incense sticks?...........are there people coming and going that you don't trust with sharing your grow?"

I could leave the window open 24/7. People never come to the apartment aside from my mom, and she is cool with it. But I don't need other tenants whining about it. I could use insense.

"when you clse the door to the growroom, is it sealed off from any light leaks?.........stand in it during the day, and check it."

I'm not too sure. How much light leaks are considered problematic? I could duck tape the center and put a blanket at the bottom to block off all light. WIll that work?

"the seeds from the city are good, don't worry about that, an easy starter strain that packs a good punch, and is much loved around the world is NL (Northern lights)"

Okay, just checking. My friend ordered from an unreliable site once and got all dead seeds. Ruined his month, as they were unrefundable.

"armspan size could be very diffrent depending on length of arm, better to tell us the size of it in feet (that's the measurement, not the ones you walk on......lol).........this size determines what light to use............may i suggest making the box smaller, thus only needing a smaller light, and saving a few precious $$........i have a 3'x3' growroom, and have flowered upto 7 in that space with a 400wHPS..........how much bud are you looking for?, this determines how many plants you'll need."

It's about 5" long and 2" deep. I am looking to grow at least 4 plants at a time. Considering my space would I need another light, or a larger light? I could put up a cardboard wall to also block off light and give me more space to put my pot supplies.

"airflow is essential, but if you can have your door and window open, then that would work fine.......as long as no passeres -by smaell it...............i like towerfans, helps to keep the temp down over the canopy throughout the grow..........."

I have a small room fan, but I can put it on a larger object to get it to the canopy. Another fortunate for myself is I am on the second floor, and the people below me also smoke pot. So it seems pretty safe.

"lightprice depends on location, and availability, i paid approx £120 for mine............Peace out..........Sid"

That's an estimated 220 Canadian. Ew. That's over my budget, maybe they have something cheaper here.

"ps, what about when night comes will you still be able to keep the growroom door open?........it's a lot of light and easily spotted through woindows, as it's more yellow than a lightbulb........"

I can, the grow room I am using is in my bedroom, so the light might be intolerable for myself. I also always keep my curtains down so it should stop the majority of the light.

Once again thanks. Any pointers I really appreciate as I am so fucking new to this. Seems like such a hassle, and the fact that weed prices are down to 25$/8th just makes things seem a lot harder then they have to be.

5. no light whatsoever may enter the growroom during the dark cycle, light leaks can confuse the plant/s........and possibly turn them hermie.......

if i were you, i'd cut the room down to a 3' x 2'.........that way when you get a bit better, you'll be able to have a vegging chamber as well at approx 2' x 2'...........so you'll have ones flowering, and ones ready to go in to flower, this is called a CHS, constant harvert strategy, or a perpetual grow.............as for price of weed being low, comapred to growing, i'll do a quick sum for you........

4 plants @ approx 2oz per plant in 10 weeks = 8oz @ $200per ounce................= $1600 x 5 for a year = $16,000 saved on weed, and you'll have just under an oz a week to smoke............unless you grow a little bigger, and get better at it, and those 2oz per plant, could be 5-10oz per plant

it saves to grow your own..........lol.......and it's even better smoking your own, knowing that you put in the hard work, and are reaping the rewards...........Peace out...........Sid

6. "no light whatsoever may enter the growroom during the dark cycle, light leaks can confuse the plant/s........and possibly turn them hermie......."

Okay, well during the day I will seal it with duck taped blankets over the cracks, and at night I will leave the door open for air flow when it's dark out and close it before I go to bed.

"if i were you, i'd cut the room down to a 3' x 2'.........that way when you get a bit better, you'll be able to have a vegging chamber as well at approx 2' x 2'...........so you'll have ones flowering, and ones ready to go in to flower, this is called a CHS, constant harvert strategy, or a perpetual grow.............as for price of weed being low, comapred to growing, i'll do a quick sum for you........"

That's a good idea if I go progressive. Right now I am really in my learnin stages. You recomended Northern Lights. Is the Nirvana series a good choice? The other bet was sold out. You can see it here: http://shop.grasscity.com/shop/grasscity/seedsnirnl.html

"4 plants @ approx 2oz per plant in 10 weeks = 8oz @ $200per ounce................= $1600 x 5 for a year = $16,000 saved on weed, and you'll have just under an oz a week to smoke............unless you grow a little bigger, and get better at it, and those 2oz per plant, could be 5-10oz per plant

it saves to grow your own..........lol.......and it's even better smoking your own, knowing that you put in the hard work, and are reaping the rewards...........Peace out...........Sid"

Yeah the amount you save is quite scary. The other fact is that I might be able to actualy make some money off this, selling the excess to people I trust. Don't need to get caught selling and in large possession :(

7. well i've never had any problems with nirvana seeds, those ones will do just fine......Peace out.........Sid

8. Allright I have everything in an envelope as of now. Can you tell me all the items I would need right off the start? Such as lights and what not? If so I would extremely gratefull, because as of now I am unsure.

9. i bought a 400hps yesterday for $175 (aus) but i dont have it cause i live with my parents :( my mates got a plant and well he doesnt have all that money and he only had a 40watt fluro on his prized possession...so i convinced him that id get a hps light...but he was worried about electricity...i told him that id get a 250hps but when we were in there i convined him to allow me to get a 400....but he leaves the damn door open all the time spesh cause he lives in a unit like complex and has already shown about 10 people in the first day of having it :S i just dont want the cops to come and take my light if hes too stupid to think about light leaks and so on....it also took alot of convincing to get him to put a fan in there with it....not to mention he hasnt even put drainage holes in the container yet.....he doesnt really like to listen to me...he thinks he knows best and these things arent really a concern....i hope the plant turns out alright...whenever im over i always just sit next to it and just gaze in amazement at it's beauty

10. Here is the list of shit I need. Correct anything that I might have missed or don't need.

Items needed:
    _________
    Seeds -

AK47 Seeds - Price : 40$ (With Shipping and Handling)
    Test Seeds - Price : 1 dollar
    _________
    Lights -

High Pressure Sodium Lights - Price : 100-150$ estimated
    Flouresent Lights - Price : 20$
    _________
    Fans -

Ventilation Fan - Price : 0$ (Already owned)
    Extraction Fan - Price : ???
    _________
    Soils/Fertalizers -

Fertilizer - Price : 15$
    Super Thrive - Price : ???
    Peat Moss - Price : ???
    Soil (20-10-10/Tomato Growing Soil) - Price : 15$
    _________
    Pots -

Small Pots - Price : 0$ (Already owned)
    1 1/5 Gallon Pots - 4$ each for 4 pots = 16$
    5 Gallon Pots - 6$ each for 4 pots = 24$ (Possibly get some rain barrels)
    Incense for smell - 3$
    _________
    Extras -

Completely opaque blanket of some sort - Price : ???
    Incense for smell - Price : 3$

11. Some of the pots, peat moss, and etc you can find at any garden store..... I buy most of my supply's at wal-mart (My wal-mart even has SUPER THRIVE, I shit you not man. I can buy bullets, 40's, fish, and growing supplies at the same place. :D)

Anyways, back to the point. Check out e-conolight.com (if you consider yourself "handy") and insidesun.com for really cheap lights. (Thoose adresses may not be exactly correct, but google can find them rather quickly.)

You may want to think about micro growing, considering you don't have your power bill to jump like 10 or 15 bucks one month out of nowhere. Maybee look into a smaller 70-250 light, opposed to 400+.

Just my two cents, and welcome to the board. It's always wonderful to have a newbie who has done their homework. :D

Welcome again, -Shorty

12. "Some of the pots, peat moss, and etc you can find at any garden store..... I buy most of my supply's at wal-mart (My wal-mart even has SUPER THRIVE, I shit you not man. I can buy bullets, 40's, fish, and growing supplies at the same place. )"

Yeah man. So far I have bought ALL of my supplies either from Wal-Mart or Home Depot. The great thing about those stores is that they are 3 minute walking distance away from my apartment.

"Anyways, back to the point. Check out e-conolight.com (if you consider yourself "handy") and insidesun.com for really cheap lights. (Thoose adresses may not be exactly correct, but google can find them rather quickly.)"

Thanks man, I will check that out.

"You may want to think about micro growing, considering you don't have your power bill to jump like 10 or 15 bucks one month out of nowhere. Maybee look into a smaller 70-250 light, opposed to 400+."

I'm not wooried too much about that. If they ask why my power bill jumped I will tell them that it's summer holidays and I have been staying up till wee-hours of the night as apposed to going to bed reasonably early before.

"Just my two cents, and welcome to the board. It's always wonderful to have a newbie who has done their homework."

Heh, I like to fully research a thing before I start incase I waste my money.

"Welcome again, -Shorty"

Heres's a picture of my current grow-closet. Tell me what you guys think. I am going to grow 4 at once, and there is a fan on the left side and a lamp on the right. It should work. The little pots are meant for my seedlings. I am sorry about my picture quality.

Attached Files:

Grasscity Deals Near You