Some n00b questions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by DarthHerbage, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Howdy.

Let me first say that I have read quite a bit in the last couple weeks, but I do have a bunch of books and videos I will also be learning from in the near future. However, I am a newbie to growing and just wanted to throw a few questions out there in order to get some opinions on what I'm thinking of doing for my first grow.

Stealth is of the utmost importance, first of all.

I'm going to be dealing with a fairly small grow space: about 5 foot x 2 1/2 foot x 5 foot high. Since I don't have the time currently to build myself a nice enclosure I was thinking about going with the homebox Clonebox. (http://www.buy-the-homebox.com/shop/product_family_clonebox.html)

I'm going for 2-4 plants, and thinking about LST'ing and SCROG in order to maximize my space and yield. As I don't have the time currently to build my own bubble buckets and what not, I was thinking of going with the Stealth Hydroponics Dual Spectrum Kit. (http://www.stealthhydroponics.com/product.php?xProd=2&xSec=2)

What I'm wondering about is how much lighting I will need. The SCROG will be inside the Clonebox which means dimensions of 49,25 x 25,5 x 47.25(inches). In my opinion, that will be a pretty wide but short area. Since the reservoir is a foot tall by itself, that will only leave a space of 3 feet for the plants + lights height-wise.

So here are my questions:

1. How many plants would maximize the surface area of a SCROG that size? (4 x 2 feet)

2. Is three feet in height big enough to properly grow plants in a SCROG? (I'm sure I can find that info but just wanted some opinions)

3. The lighting situation. I have some choices with the bubbleponics kit, and I want to make sure to give the plants the best lighting I can without seriously sacrificing heat and wattage (stealth). I'm also going to have to keep the height requirements in mind. Also, the large surface area of 4 x 2 feet seems to require a lot of lighting, unless I can use the short height to my advantage somehow...

Anyhow, I'm thinking of doing some bunker bud btw.

Any advice/suggestions are appreciated.

2. Hello, welcome to Grasscity friend. Just so you know, before you ask lengthy questions here at GC, we like to use the search button in the toolbar of this site. you will find that most q's u have, have been asked and answered. Just a tip. Well, do what will teach you the best, and read, study, research all the info you can about growing, and then after that, if you still have q's, then come back and ask. Happy growing!

3. I appreciate the response, GG.

However, I have read a looot of threads already (including the 32 page Rosewater epic where he used the same system I'm thinking of getting, many on SCROG in general, etc) and I haven't seen these questions answered offhand. I know the general watts/sq. feet ratio, but I have been unable to find much about the Clonebox, or a SCROG inside one, etc.

I didn't want anyone to have to do my homework for me, I was just hoping some knowledgeable people would want to throw some opinions out there. :)

4. goot ya. I had a larger version of your grow box. worked pretty good. gets very hot though, so be ready to ventilate it properly. for lighting you could go with t5's or LED's (i believe, let me double check for ya) better on cost/lower heat. also that hydro system is alright. way to small to fill every plant site with a plant, but for 2 or 3 you should be alright. personally i like ebb and flow systems better. if your goin hydro make sure you have pH and tds meters, get electronic ones, otherwise disaster with follow. Also its a shame you cant build this urself, you should really make the time, this is honestly a 2-3 hour project at the most, and good god you will save like $110 bones dude, and u could use that extra $$ to buy ur nutreients, or electronic meters. make some time to build it.

5. Thanks, man. I'm thinking I can get a nice yield from a 2 x 4 foot SCROG. I wasn't familiar with T5's but I performed some google-fu and I think that it's a pretty good way to go. Using those long cylinder lights instead of the regular hanging spirals I was looking at would save some height space as well as make the lighting a lot more uniform.

I found this: http://cgi.ebay.com/T5-FLUORESCENT-...0535502QQihZ016QQcategoryZ42225QQcmdZViewItem and thought it looked perfect for the space and what not. What do ya think?

I wish I had the time to put an enclosure together, as that Clonebox runs about 250 bucks. I also have room for it to be about a foot taller. Ideally, I would like a box about 5 feet tall, 2 feet deep, and 4 foot wide. If you know of some fairly easy way to build something like that, I might be game. I just want to make sure that it's light proof, sealed off, and just as conducive to growing as one of those homeboxes.

If I was to get one of those huge t5s that covered the entire 4 x 2, how many plants do you think I would need to maximize the screen area? I'm not going any higher than 4, and as you said trying to put more than 2 or 3 in one of those bubbleponics hydro systems would probably make it pretty crowded without some major LST going on.

One of my concerns is that since I'm starting from scratch I'm going to have to go with seed, which means I have to make sure to sex them before I put the screen in or I'm going to be wasting a lot of space.

Thanks again.