Some Leaves Yellowed

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by RedganjaDown, Dec 28, 2014.

1. #1 RedganjaDown, Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2014
    So left my plants all alone, well watered, on the evening of December 23rd, my daughter watered them on the 26th, 1/2 gallon each. I returned home today and discovered a lot of the large fan leaves had yellowed. It was a consistent yellow thru-out. The grow is 2 Dinafem Fruit Autos, 5 leaves only plants. 
    The plants are almost ready to be harvested as they are covered in trichs, but they are mostly clear. Some hairs are starting to turn darker. They've been in the dirt since germination on 11-4-14, so it's been 53 days so far. This is an organic soil grow in 3 gallon smart pots and I'm using a 600w HPS for the 2 plants.

Does anyone else think the leaves turning yellow might be part of the natural dying process of the plants?*** 

***Just looked on Dinafem's site and they said this is a 60-65 day plant. Looks like I'll be waiting a little while yet.

I do...

3. #3 ChefZiggy, Dec 28, 2014
    Could be a couple of things. For one, a 3 gallon pot is kinda small, so it could be getting root bound. For another, getting that close to harvest they may be slowing down on the drinking and you might have overwatered them.

Some yellowing is normal for natural senescence too. (Think Fall) But that sounds like a lot all at once.

4. Full plant pic's would help...

5. #5 RedganjaDown, Dec 28, 2014
    Thanks fellow GC members. I'm sorta leaning towards I may have over watered them, but also thinking since it's so close to the end it could  be just the natural process. I'll go take some pics and post soon. 

Couldn't get any good, focused pics with the grow light on in the room. Went thru both plants and peeled the yellow/discolored leaves off. Got about 30 between the 2 plants. They look nicer now. 1 good thing is the leaves were evenly yellow and when I culled them from the plant, they came off real easy. Sort of like a leaf would fall from a tree in the fall.

6. #6 cmgreenonetwo, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
    Hi
    Wow our plants are the same age exactly.  I am growing several but I have a White Widow that is 52 days old.  Last week, Several leaves near the bottom began to yellow and spot.  I am using FF HF in 5 gal smart pots,  It happened on two of the three .  The two that were budding. One is 49 days.  The one that isnt was still green.

It was the early signs of a cal mag def.  I bought Dr. Earth Flower Girl and added half dose and the problem ceased immediately.  Mine arent covered in trichs.  Still growing buds and hasnt even started to swell or dust up but these are advertised as 70-75 days.
    Since I have used tea and some FF Big Bloom.  Low nutrients could be the prob.

Also, could be the roots.  I have three photos and each got rootbound.  One still is as I havent repotted.  Same age, same soil, smaller pot.  I transplanted two of the three and the ones I did instantly started growing again fast,  They also are much richer green in color.  My amnesia has new growth that is more lime in color.  It needs to be moved.  These organics soils seem to loose there steam unless you repower up.  I think in a smaller pot it is a faster rising issue.

How long is that plant supposed to take to finish?

7. Store bought organic soils maybe. But I've done four runs in my home made mix with no problems. The last run was a little weak though, so I made a new batch and am reammending and cycling the first batch again.

So much cheaper than buying bagged soils too.

8. #8 Greasemonkeyman, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2014
    I don't know brother, I've never seen any drastic yellowing from simple over watering, unless you have a dripping hose on them for a day straight or something... I  agree with this

9. I have. If you let the root zone get too wet for too long, there is less oxygen available. Roots will start to rot and the plant will suffer a general weakening. Lots of yellow leaves occur.

10. that's crazy, maybe i'm just sorta fortunate, course I always have used a BUNCH of aeration, pumice, volcanic rock, perlite, biochar, and horticultural sand, and smart pots tend to drain pretty well too