Some buds closer to finished than others...

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Satyva, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Ok folks, I have a plant whose lower buds are maturing faster than the upper buds (50/50 indica/sativa) - 1 question is, should I go ahead and cut these when ready, and if so, should I cut them right by the main stem or just cut the bud itself off? Will it hurt the rest of the plant?

Also... I have 3 plants going in this same res (please don't ask as it will never happen again lol) and all 3 are maturing at different rates. So, when/what/how to flush? Should I go ahead and flush a few days (hydro) before the first buds are ready, then add nutes back in after harvesting, then continue to repeat as they're ready?

Help would be much appreciated :)

2. No reason why not.

But I just fell my plants in one go - TIMMBERRRRR!!!! Easier to hang up the whole thing to dry.

3. :confused:

I don't think I want to take the entire plant down, since several other buds on it aren't as far along. What I'm hoping to find out is whether or not cutting branches/buds will harm the plants at this point, and/or if it might be better to allow the smaller yet more mature buds to just get... well...more mature, allowing the larger ones to go ahead and hit their peak instead.

Plus... the other two plants in the same res are maturing at different rates also :(... which leads to my other question, i.e. how to deal with it in terms of res changes, flushes, nutrient doses and when, etc... the less work the better, as unfortunately they are in approx. 16 gal of water, I'm on my own this week, and my back is pretty much shot.

Any other suggestions or ideas Doris, or anyone? Thanks

4. Naw trimming mature buds from the plant will not harm the rest of the plant. I almost always end up doing that. No worrys.
    Keep'em burnin
    DirtyViperMan

5. So you flush twice or ?

6. You flush it in the last 2 weeks of flowering. Just water it as you normally do, and use twice as much water as your pot can hold. for example 5 gallon pot, use 10 gallons water.

And to the OP I would get a microscope if I were you and check out the trics to see if they are to your preference, meaning cloudy/amber.

7. You may also add non-sulphated molasses to your water to aid sugar and nutrient uptake naturally in the last final weeks.

8. Thanks again, my friend - looks as if I may be harvesting over a period of time, rather than all at once then. So do you take the entire branch off at the stem, or just cut the buds off (leaving a little bit of the branch to hang them up by)?

Also... won't these early ones taste crappy since I haven't begun flushing yet? I have used all organic PBP nutes up until my hydro store guy talked me into some kool bloom (both liquid and powdered). I used the liquid along w/regular nutes in the last 2 res changes, then the super-duper powdered went in last week (at 1/2 strength) with a very low dose of cal-mag and label-recommended dose of liquid karma.

These plants are billed as having an 8 week flowering period, and I made an earlier mistake by thinking that the "flowering period" begins immediately at the 12/12 light switch. It took 8 days on 12/12 for me to positively identify males. Tho I imagine growers with some experience could have identified sooner. Anyway, all the above considered, I'm 54 days in. And again, the other two are coming along more slowly... so not really sure how to mix nutrient solution, or even if I should add anything at all today.

So, here's my best idea... with the weekly res change scheduled for today, do you think I could simply add in a low dose of bloom nutes and liquid karma without changing the water, in order to feed the slower bloomers without bombing the more mature ones, then flush in a few days?

There are buds whose hairs I'd say are approx. 1/3 orangy-brown. Others are still almost completely white. Most of the buds are very frosty, or getting there. I only have a 15x magnifying glass, plus I can't see as well as I used to anyway. Some of the frosties are very sparkly tho... beautiful to see this in person at last :)

9. Err... I think he said he's hydro. Molasses is for SOIL only.

Don't put molasses in your hydro unless you want to ruin your crop and clean all that shit out of your hydro unit.

10. I'm doing hydro, so flushing time is shorter than soil/soiless mix - should take only 3 days or so I understand.

Please tell me, where do you get a cheapie microscope/strong magnifying glass? I've done local searches and was surprised that I can't seem to come up with anything - have looked on ebay but really need to be looking at the buds very closely now, instead of waiting for someone to ship it.

Thanks for your input!

11. Radio Shack if you have one near you. Ask for pocket microscope.

12. I was nearly ready to pick up some molasses as I'd heard so many good things about it. So you are yet another person whose comments are pivotal wrt getting the grow through successfully. I will thank you here, as well as adding positive feedback to your profile! :)

Not much of a hydro unit per se - just a great big ole rubbermaid bin that will be reverted back to a storage container after this grow is done. I'm very sorry I used so much water, but thought with 3 plants the roots would need all that space... not! The way things are looking, I could have used a 5 gal container comfortably. At any rate I now see that I can use a much smaller container for each plant from now on, I'm guessing 2-3 gal. tops, even for the sativas. I've got two primarily sativas going right next to the 3 girls that are finishing off, and they are in tidy-cat buckets, about 3 gal. each. It will be so much easier and less expensive, what with mixing nutes for 2-3 gal. and carting the water around, instead of 16 gal (lol)

Anyway, thanks so much again!

13. Excellent, I have an RS about a mile away :)

14. Whoops, I can't compliment you yet again darkhosis - it tells me I have to "spread more reputation around" before I can. Guess you'll have to settle for a kiss on the cheek ;)

15. LOL you too, rooster!

16. And of course, DirtyViperMan... you know you helped save my grow back when flowering first began ;)

17. I grow true organics so I never flush and it always taste's great. The plants will mature in two or three weeks. So flush chop the buds that are ready. Then lightly feed the rest of the plant till those are almost ready then flush, chop, dry, cure and get blazed.:smoking:

I have two views on that if the branch as a lot of leaf on it I would say chop the buds and leave the leaves. But if it has minimal leaf mass on the branch trim it at the node were the stock meets the branch.:wave:
    Keep'em burnin
    DirtyViperMan

18. Nope, there aren't many leaves left on the largest, most mature girl... guess I can go ahead and chop the entire branch.

Thanks so much for your help again, DVM! :)