Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Some bho won't dissolve in hot oil

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by elchbulle, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Hello everyone,

Thanks for any help with this. I'm making edibles from bho concentrates I bought at a Colorado dispensary. So far most of them dissolve great into hot coconut oil that I then use to make edibles. However some of the extracts clump up and don't want to dissolve. I stir them like crazy but still little bits of it just float in the oil. Other ones immediately disappear in the oil and evenly distribute.

Is there any trick for this that I should know? I get the coconut oil to around 180 Fahrenheit and that works for most.. Should I go hotter on the hard to dissolve ones?

Thanks much

• Like Like x 1
  2. Not all of the concentrate from dispensaries is pristine and can have some contaminants that may not be noticeable until it's dissolved into something. If you decarb the concentrate first then sometimes you'll find waxes. There's sometimes plant matter, too. If it hasn't dissolved in the oil with a little heat then it can be filtered if you want but that's not really necessary. That residue won't be noticeable in your edibles and it's not going to hurt. It's just a sign of quality or the lack thereof. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. One of two things could be happening.
    (1) Not enough oil. This is unlikely, but the oil can become saturated, and not dissolve anything more, if too little is used, but it doesn't take much oil to dissolve a lot of concentrate.
    (2) That bho has some impurities that couldn't be strained out. I sometimes make oil tinctures from FECO, and there's always something that won't dissolve. I usually just fish it out and toss it.
    If you're making edibles, that gunk won't hurt anything.
    Make sure you decarb before starting, unless you want non-psychoactive thc-a edibles. Baking will decarb a little.

4. Thanks for both replies guys. I think it may be impurities like you mention, something that just doesn't want to break down. Also I am thinking I should decarb longer, I have been doing 220 F for 20 min (some recipe I was following recommend this) but reading online I am finding this is probably too short of a time, I should decarb for some 40 min to get all the bubbles out. I'll keep messing with it.

Thanks again!

• Like Like x 1