Some basic hydro help please

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by thepreciouslamb, Jan 3, 2012.

1. I'm new to hydro growing, but have grown in soil before. When first introducing the clones into my ebb & flow system, what should the PPM read? I assume I should start w/ a more dilute mixture than the fox farms feeding schedule says. I have the FF nut. trio, beastie bloomz, chaching, & open sesame. Also have Humboldt "Ginormous" & Botanicare "Liquid Karma". Also, what should I keep the pH at? I used to use nutrient solution @ 6.8 for soil growing

2. use half strength first week. Half strength of what ever their lowest mix is. Then use full strength second week.

keep PH between 5.5 and 6.5 with optimal at 5.8-6.0

3. Thanks man, I appreciate the response

4. Full strength nutrients from the word go....calculated risk. 1490 ppm. For me it's payed off.
    No visible distress.

Enjoy

5. i use 5.5 as well giving me around a 5.7-5.8--- general rule of thumb is usually 1/4 the manufactures instructions

.500-.600ec for clones

the next is strain dependent.

.700-.900ec veg or even up to 1.0ec
    flowering 1.1-1.8ec 2.2 max

i dont think i would even go full strength without knowing the ec of any solution. some people use ppm.

6. Yeah I go full strength from the word go too, cause my strain is strong like that. Ive had strains that burned at full strength their first week in veg, thou. Its worth the risk for me to go full strength cause if the plant does like it, it grows like mad that first week.

7. never do this. they will not grow like mad they will make you mad trying to figure out what the fuck is wrong hopefully you will just get a mad burn on your leaf tips worst case you fry your plant. i honestly would not take this advice. better to be safe then sorry. the point is to work your plants up to the desired level and then back down. thats life... you need to build up your plant like your muscles. your cant just burn them the fuck out. i am definitely recommending this cause you're using fox farms nutrients.

this is how i and alot of others feed plants

clones week 1 .500ec
    transplant week 2 kick it up .700-.900 mothers stop here.
    veg week 3 kick up to 1.0
    flower week 1 different formula 1.29
    flower week 3 1.38
    flower week 4 1.49
    flower week 6 comes back down gradually
    week 8-9 around .500-400

note these are just my plants yours might be different. i use very simple chem. 3 part an additive 3 part for flower and ripening monster bloom and sugar daddy. molasses and flora kleen to flush. perfect every time.

hope this helps. :eek:

8. Please don't kill the girls by burning them with ramped up nutes. D:

9. It took me many cycles before I discovered my strain LOVES full strength (week 1 mix) from the get go.

It CAN be worth it to find out if your strain is a nute hog like mine. My strain does grow like mad from the get go, but I've had other strains not do well. I only veg for 14 days to fill a scrog. The strain I have grows like there is no tomorrow.

Slow experimentation allowed me to discover this, I just kept mixing it stronger sooner. In flower I run over 2000 ppm with no nute burn ever.

10. Read what you wrote. Now explain again why a new grower should "Ramp up the nutes"?........

11. I never told him to. I just told him its an option to ramp up nutes over time.

12. [quote name='"CrackLemonade"']use half strength first week. Half strength of what ever their lowest mix is. Then use full strength second week.

keep PH between 5.5 and 6.5 with optimal at 5.8-6.0[/quote]

This.

13. Just trying to help someone new. Don't suggest things that will most likely burn the shit out of the plants. No nutes til she has third set of true leaves.

Experiment after you have a solid base knowledge of the entire grow process.

14. OK jeeze, I wasent trying to force him. Sorry.
    Your right a newb should not ramp anything up, but one day he may not be a newb.

Also I was thinking he was using clones, not seeds. Clones are they way to go.
    My fav hearty strain was given to me as a gift as a clone.

15. [quote name='"CrackLemonade"']OK jeeze, I wasent trying to force him. Sorry.
    Your right a newb should not ramp anything up, but one day he may not be a newb.

Also I was thinking he was using clones, not seeds. Clones are they way to go.
    My fav hearty strain was given to me as a gift as a clone.[/quote]

Not really trying to bust your balls (Or Ovaries). Just afraid of the outcome and subsequent repair of the suggestion. We do things I wouldn't ever recommend a new grower do. I check ph rarely. Dumb idea to recommend a new grower. And this forum is filled with em. (Read my Journal, I just made a rookie mistake...) Anyway, the only ones who hang around are those drivin to teach. With great power comes great responsibility. Just keep it pg until they are asking for XXX :)