Some advice needed

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by jeffd7766, Oct 1, 2008.

• Hello all, i want to say first off that this site has helped me a ton in the past 3-4 years that i have been on it, i am not a beginner at this by anymeans. I just need some suggestions becasue i KNOW there are people on here with much much more experience then I. So this is where i begin. I have Benn growing in the same spot for 4 years in a row. The plot is as followed, it is on the top of a hill get 4-5 hours direct sunlight and another 3-4 filtered light. I am at about 42-43 deg north lat. The plot is pretty large and fits the 30 or so plants i do each year very nicely, however witht hose 30 or so plants my yield seems way below par. I think my biggest problem is the soil, the first year i started it was 100%hard clay. that year i dug 2x2 holes and filled them with regular cruddy soil, each year i dig the holes another foot or 2 wider and i now use pro mix, this year the plants seem to have bigger stalks and i have deff increased yeild but it is still not to my liking. So what i was thinking was digging trenches2ft down x 5 ft widex 8 ft long. And completely take the clay out and replace it with a mixture of promix and other goodies. Does this sound good to you guys? My next problem seems to be drainage, do you have any suggestions for this i would thinking digging the trenches that big would help out a lot bt not sure. I would like next year to yield at least 10 lbs so no one in my family needs to worry about going through the trouble of getting it. and finally MOLD i have been growing shaman for 3 years and love the smell/taste but it sucks casue mold loves it, this year i also grew lemon skunk and big bang from GHS, and some local blue moonshine stuff. The olnly one out of those that hasnt had mold was the lemon skunk. so here is my next question, from this list of starins is there any ones that stand out as far as yield and mold resistance? here is the list:
    • Early Riser-Sargamatha
    • Kodiak Gold-Refferman
    • Maple Leaf Indica-Sensi seeds
    • Outsider-high quality seeds NL
    • Hollands hope- dutch passion
    • kc33- KC Brains
    • White Rhino-nirvana
    • ak-48 nirvana
    • f-13- DJ Shorts
    • Alaskan Ice-GHS
    • Himalayan Gold-GHS
    • Timewarp f5-Next generation seends
    • reclining Buddah-Soma
    • SkunkxBig bud-Bio Biz seeds
    • Dinafew blue hash-Dinafem seeds

• cali-hash plant-Dianfew seeds
    Sorry for the very long post but i know some of you have great adivce to give and would appreciate every ounce of it. And if you know of any other strains i would lover to hear.
    PS: i use fox farm Nutes:smoking:

1. anyone? I may have to post this on ICMag just becasue of the strain list, i got a bunch of them from over there. I just hate how you cant make a new thread if you havnt posted a certain number of times. I mean i was on this site for 2 years before i even signed up to the site let alone post. Come on GC i know there are some real farmers here. i will just sit back and:smoke: happy tokin

2. Ok, I'll go down the list: "assuming your environment is fairly humid"
    Early Riser by Sargamatha is extrememly mold resistant and the yield scores an 8 out of 10. Kodiak Gold by Reefer Man is fairly mold resistant and the yield is an 8 out of 10. Maple Leaf, I've read, doesn't do to well with mold and it is a fairly compact plant so the yield won't be extravagent but the stone will be "Mmmm:smoke:". Outsider has won the '97 Highlife cup and the yeild is very high, resistance to mold for me is unknown. Hollands Hope is a very strong plant with very high yields and a great resistance to mold. KC33 not sure about the mold but the yield could be up to 900 grams. White Rhino isn't well known for its resistance to mold and the yields aren't anything to go crasy about(great stone though). AK-48 by them likes the same descrip...again the high is what its famous for. F-13, I have no clue, maybe someone else has some input? Alaskan Ice is very mold resistant and the yields are good, 7 out of 10. Himalayan Gold has a fair mold resistance, great cold resistance and a decent yield. Skipping to SkunkxBigbud, this plant has VERY good Yields and a quality anyone would thoroughly enjoy, its resistance to mold isn't the best but is much better than MANY others in its weight class.

This is all I can really say about the list ya got there, and If I had to pick one to two selections depending on where you're at, I'd go with the Early Riser or Alaskan Ice.
    As for your soil issue Just stick with digging individual holes about the volume of a 5 gallon bucket and apply your fav soil mix then let the plant do the rest, once those roots hit the clay they will go crazy! I know this for sure, some of the largest plants I've ever seen have been in the central GA area, the LAND of red clay.

Hope that helps:D

3. Thank you, that helped a bunch, i chose 7-8 that i think im gonna run for next year just doing a couple of each to see how i like them, as of where i am im in the north east. The reason i need the mold resistance is becasue all this darn rain we have have been getting in the fall. Kinda crazy but thats a whole nother issue.
    And as for the whoel clay soil issue, its a low spot and you know clay, has very poor drainage, so it got flooded many times this years and i have to bail oh id say this one time 90-100 5 gallons buckets, it was running in from under ground becasue that are is a low spot. So thats why i was thinking the trenches so i could build up a mound and then big a 4 x 4 ft hole in the middle of the plot and with any hope it will drain into this. I have one now but its much smaller but works great and water holds in there so if it gets dry i have good natural soil filtered water, perfect ph. I was even thinking of mounding it up about 2 ft above ground and then cutting 5 gallon buckets in half and putting them 2-3 inches into the dirt and plant in that, just so i can control what plant gets the right amount of nutes right on it. I am still very open to suggestions but i was a little unclear about describing the plot. hopes this helped. Thanks again:smoke: