solo cup, to 1 gallon smart pot, to 5 gallon smart pot??? what about layer of perlite at bottom?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by eL PHAMO, Oct 4, 2016.

1. hi 2 quesitons

i was thinking of going from solo cup, to 1 gallon smart pot, to 5 gallon smart pot

or from solo cup, to 1 gallon plastic pot, to 5 gallon smart pot

what do you suggest? im worried that the roots are going to stick out the 1 gallon smart pot and be a PITA to transplant

also --- is it worth adding a layer of perlite at the bottom of the smart pot?? why or why not?

THANKS!

2. Why would roots sticking out the bottom be PITA ? Or how about transplant it before that happens ?
    Mix the Perlite in the soil , because I said so .

• Like Like x 2
  3. Absolutely no need to up pot in fabric containers. Since the air prune roots you'll never get the explosion of growth some people claim to get by up potting hard containers. Roots will also become entangled in the fabric making transplant a pain. Go from the solo to its final container. Roots sticking out the bottom won't hurt.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Go from shot glass to solo cup to 64 ounce cup to 1 gallon to 2 gallon to 3 gallon then finish her in a fiver...

• Like Like x 1
  5. i dont know who to believe

6. in future i may go solo - 1 gallon plasic - 5 gallon smart

the 1 gallon smart pot seems like a pain in the ass

7. I'm in solo now and then was going to go 2 then 5 smart pots but now I'm second guessing myself and think solo to 1g plastic then 5g smart

Sent from my XT1585 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  8. Use the smart pots for the final uppot. I go cup to 3 gal plastic container to 7.5 smart pot or 15 smart pot depending on strain. Sometimes I go straight to the 7.5 from cups. Mo' uppotting mo' potential problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  9. dudes

i totally agree

the 1gallon smart pots (which appear to be a good idea, since it is reusable)... does not appear to be such a good idea... waste of 35$.

next time im going to go solo - 1 gallon plastic - 5 gallon smart

unless someone convinces me otherwise :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. but i did plant 2 in 1 gallon smart pots --- if they have crazy mutant plant growth -- then the 1 gallon smart pots warrant another look-at

• Like Like x 1
  11. The theory behind up potting is that the roots become slightly root bound and then explode in growth when transplanted into a larger container. This will never happen in fabric pots since they air prune roots. Up potting fabric containers isnt worthwhile

• Like Like x 2
  12. Why would roots, essentially arteries of the plant that carry nutrients & water, and determine plant size/health, growing into the bottom of a pot when you need to transplant NOT be a PITA??

Sent from my XT1254 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1