Soldering iron?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by KravenOne, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Ok so I almost bought a cheap soldering iron just to try it out. Then I read tonight that it has to be glass or ceramic so good thing I didnt buy it. I have never really seen one of these that was made for herb. could someone explain to me how this works? Do i just sworl it around the bowl? or is it hot enough that you just poke it into the middle and it lights it? I have no idea so if anyone could shed some light that would be great. is this close to vaporising? does it even burn the plant material? I'd love to hear some opinions cause if they suck I dont want one but this seems like a nice acessory.

Thanks!!
    Kraven

2. Yeah I've always wondered this.

I've seen stick normal soldering irons on YouTube, I'll research first.

I prefer glass wands but takes time, maybe why the iron so popular.

3. ok tell me about the glass wand? just heat it up and stick it in the bowl? I'm not that dumb i just dont get how this works

4. glass wands, you heat up with a torch and swirl it around/on top of the bud.

soldering iron, either a hakko or a herbiron (which is basically a hakko with an on/off button). plug it in, it heats up in ~45 seconds, and you swirl it on top of/around the bud.

5. glass wand you heat with butane torch and then put it on bowl to vape/ light.

herb Iron is same idea as a soldering iron but uses ceramic instead for its quick heating and cooling along with no fumes from metal.

6. can someone explain to me y you would want to vape or glass wand a bowl? (forgive me if its the same thing) i mean is it different in anyway? Cause if its not it seems like a nice lighter could take care of that right?

7. the whole point is to avoid using butane to light the herbs.

8. its not really for vaping although you can do that with the wands and irons

its so you get a clean hit without any butane or wax

9. A glass wand is just a small glass rod that you heat up with a torch. While its red hot you can use it to light your herbs. You get way more smoke, more thc, less harmful crap, and improved taste.

Similarly there is the herb iron and hakko. They are both soldering irons that stay at a good temperature to burn your flowers in the same way as a glass rod, but because they stay hot you can also use it to vaporize a bowl, or pretty much anywhere inbetween.

The herb iron is specifically made for lighting bud and is 70 dollars. It has a button on it to switch it on or off.

The hakko (I recommend the model 454) is the exact same thing except you must unscrew the metal tip to get to the ceramic one underneath (not difficult). Its 30 dollars on frys.com. Unlike the herb iron, there is no button, and its on once you plug it in. For safety reasons I have a powerstrip with a switch dedicated to my hakko, for an easy on off switch.

I highly recommend either or both of these options, as the hakko is the best investment I've ever made in my smoking career.

10. basically you use a wand for the purest flavor, no butane, wax etc.

its not vapeing since it actually causes the plant to combust.

11. I have herb iron, love it. Its really great for hash oil.