Solarstorm 800w LED Reserva Privada OG Kush #18, Super Lemon Haze DWC/Smartpot Grow!!

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by rhapsodyrcks, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Whats up GC. Got a new set up recently to add to my other set up and decided to make a grow journal on it. Doing a combo of 3 Bubble Bucket DWC and 2 Smartpot grows. Ive never done bubble buckets so I want to see side by side how much better it is then soil. Should be interesting and fun!

On a side note before I decided to get a new tent new lights etc I already had a grow in my other tent under a Blackstar 240w LED. There about a month out from harvest so while my seeds are waiting to pop in the soil and buckets I have them under my new light. So here goes ....

Tent: 4x4x7 Viagrow Tent..really like this brand. My other tent is smaller but the same maker. Find it to be pretty high quality.

Lights: California Lightworks Solarstorm 800w 5w LED Panel with built in T8 UVB Tubes. I am participating in there Growers Program where I received a 50% discount in exchange for keeping a 90 day journal. After 90 days if I don't like it 100% money back guarantee. So far this has been the best light company I've ever death with. There owner is very responsive to emails and has answered just about every question I have. A lot of LEDs are made in China, many more say there USA made but there parts are Chinese. California Lightworks uses 95% US made parts down to the circuit cards and the other 5% are from Germany if I recall correctly. The whole thing is assembled in the US, tested in the US. Its more American then a Ford is. Anyhow this light is a fucking beast...it weighs 32 pounds!!! Very high quality build. Has a Veg/Bloom toggle button and a UVB switch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Strains:2 DNA Genetics Reserva Privada OG Kush #18, 2 Green House Seeds Super Lemon Haze, and 1 Green House Seeds Super Bud. Going to be growing growing 1 OG, and 1 Super Lemon in bubblet buckets, the other 2 in 3 gallon smart pots...I wanna see the difference side by side. THe Super Bud was a freebie and thats in a bubble bucket.

Nutes: Advanced Nutrients Sensi Grow/Bloom A/B, Advanced Nutes Big Bud, and Botanicare Cal-Mag.
    [​IMG]

Medium: 3.5 gallon Bubble Buckets for 3, and 2 in 3 gallon smart pots with Fox Farms Ocean Soil.

Cant think of anything more to add but Im sure I will think of something later. Here are some additional pics though. I'm excited about this grow though since the Solarstorm is a relatively newcomer LED wise and top notch stats wise as well. Look forward to seeing what it can do. Please feel free to leave comments advice etc!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. Oh forgot to add that before I set up this new stuff I already had a grow tent with a Blackstar 240w LED in it. I have 1 Paradise Wappa in its 5th week of flowering, 2 Afghan Kush Autoflowering going on its 2nd month..about 30days left till harvest, and then 1 Paradise Seeds Acid and Nebula where I was experimenting with 12/12 from seed to see how it goes.

Since my seeds have germinating and I'm waiting for them to pop I moved those to my new tent to bask in Solarstorm's goodness. When the other plants are ready I will move them back. I also have a Basil plant in a small pot and a San Marzano Tomato plant that I am waiting to pop as well.

The reason why in one of my Buckets theres a sprout is I started that on Jan 28th. Its under a 90w UFO in my laundry room waiting till it gets bigger to move it under the Solar Storm.

Heres some pics of the plants in the tent right now. So far all have been very healthy. There all in Airpots.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. #3 Klown82, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2012
    Subbed! Looks like one beastly light!

What are you using as the medium? Looks like snow almost.

4. Yea I was shocked how large it was lol. Heavy fucker to. Glad I bought rope pully rachets vice say trying to use chains would of had hell of a time mounting it.

Im using Fox Farms Ocean Soil in that plant that is flowering. What I always use or Pro Mix. You can't go wrong with either.

[​IMG]

5. I ment the white medium in your DWC bucket. Is that light modular? For example if a LED dies can you just replace that module?

6. The medium is Suretogrow. Don't have to worry about it changing PH at all made of thick cotton. Washable and reusable if you choose to.

The LED is modular..which if you notice the LED makers are switching towards that...I can't replace it myself it has to be sent in should it break. That is fine with me since the dam thing uses 5.5 amps to power it. It takes 1/4 of a amp to kill a human, 1/2 amp to kill a horse and about a amp to kill a fully grown elephant..lol. No thanks. Heres a good interview with George California Lightworks owner. He's pretty cool responded to all of my emails. Whats cool about the light is even the substrate that the LEDs are on is American. What I appreciate is he's 100% honest on the product. Very hard usually with LED companies to figure out whats what.

California LightWorks Interview with George Mekhtarian | LED Grow Lights Review

7. What does this 2012 model run you for? With out that fantastic discount.

8. Subbed! I want to do SLH at some point, and I think your setup is pretty dang cool.

9. 1999.99 and shipping.

10. Some pics I took of my Paradise Seeds Wappa. Ol Girl is getting bigger everyday. Another 4 weeks and shell be ready.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. OP, followed you over here from another thread.

I have never heard of Suretogrow medium before. Why do you use it instead of hydroton?

12. Product does not effect PH at all. Its washable and reusable..so is hydration. No presoaking of the product before hand required either.

Sure To Grow - Hydroponic supplies for indoor gardening

13. Subbed. Looking forward to see how that light works and how the OG #18 turns out.

14. Heres some quick pics I just took of what I currently am growing. I moved them from my smaller tent to this one while my other plants are sleeping. My OG, Super Lemon Haze are starting to pop the soil in my smart pots and about to pop in my bubble buckets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Def subbed, i can't wait to see what an experienced grower can do with that kind of LED lighting!

16. All 4 seeds planted have popped! 1 OG Kush #18 and 1 Super Lemon in 3.5g bubble buckets, then 1 of each in 3 gallon smart pots.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. How you liking the solarstorm so far? are you using co2? What size fan is pulling heat from the tent and how's the heat by the way?

18. Not running Co2, have a 4 inch inline fan hooked up to a carbon filter. Heat is good. Ambient right at this moment is 76 its 80 in the tent. It does generate a lot of heat on the sides though but my fan seems to be able to keep up with it. The only issue is I have to have the fan on max. If I had a 6 inch one I think I could run it 50% and it be a lot quieter. I got a muffler coming this week to solve the noise problem.

As to how do I like it. I love it! The whole thing is first class from construction to California Lightworks fast responses to any emails. Then I think I will benefit from the T8 UVB built in side lighting.

19. I just may have to try some of this stuff. Does it support the plant roots as well as hydroton?

20. From what I read yes and youtube videos. Did some googling as well. They sell it in all sorts of formats. Whole net pot inserts for every size, giant gallon bucket sized ones, tiny blocks so you can just throw 10-15 in, regular cubes. After your plant is harvested they recommend letting it dry completely then removing. You can put them in the washing machine..dont dry to clean them up. The PH neutral thing is the seller for me. It supports capillary action so the water is sucked into the medium as well.

They are a little pricey though and hydrotron works just fine.