Solar/Wind Power

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by OG55, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Any growers utilize solar or wind for powering a grow op? :smoke:

2. Drbudgreengenes (search for his thread about a grow that uses cfls only and yeilds 3/4oz per week) Is completely off the grid and uses renewable energy I think.

3. No search results for that name :confused:

4. Sure it's possible, a decent solar setup is 10,000$ and up. Double that for a wind turbine.

5. i haven't heard of ppl using it yet but i really think ppl should start. I know it cost a lot but so does dank weed, i think anyone with a grow-op over time could afford some alternative energy.

You can get solar kits as low as $2000, that are add on kits. Which means it comes with only one solar pannel and all the electric hookups, then later when you have more money you can add more pannels.

prices are starting to come down too. theres more demand for the product now, a lot of ppl are trying to make it cheaper and more efficient.

stay interested in it. Everyone on here should be interested in it.

6. A $2000 dollar system would have difficulty keeping a 400w light on. 5starfarmer has the right idea with a $10k+ price tag for a set-up like that. All panels need regular maintenance and only the more expensive ones have warranties longer than a few years.

If you are interested in saving a bit of money and going green, consider converting your water-heater to solar power. It's a simple concept: put your water-heater on your roof where it can be heated by the sunlight. Viola, free energy to heat the water to wash dishes, take showers, and do laundry. It saves quite a bit of money.

7. Yo ray! You got me looking into building my own wind turbine and setting it up on the grid. If I do, there will be a DIY (at least on building it, there wouldn't be any installed pics for obvious reasons)

8. Nice. That would be great if you did it. Ya i didn't really think of DIY until today.

9. I just never looked into diy wind power before, just the cost of a ready to install system.
    It is so clear. I almost orderd that $50 guide to making one, but with a little more research found it is really no different than a car and its charging system. If I do it, it will be this summer. I have always like the renewable Idea and getting the power company to pay me. I have driven through many states and see so few that have Wind Farms. We need more.

10. #12 5starfarmer, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2009
    DIY Wind turbines, uggh. $200 for materials. NOT !!! Wind turbines require a substantial footer, heights over 15 feet for residential turbines(you get into code issues here), direction, and sustained wind above 5mph.

It's not a project for a kid who thinks it'll be simple to DIY. it is not.

To CONSISTENTLY generate enough light even for a 400w HID you're going to need to more than a $200 wind turbine.

Do it right the first time. THIS is a proper setup and even is a little small yet.. http://www.mariahpower.com/ Small turbine costs approx 5,000$ USD, with the 3kw costing around 7,000$.

11. #13 Don Piano, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2009
    ;)Near the top of the hill, so I don't know who you are calling a kid. But DIYing (IMHO) wind power would be kid shit (now that i have looked at it). I have engineered much more complicated shit than that.
    Try making a boiler with a glycol system that heats your home as well as your garage.... On used engine and cooking oil, then you too will look at DIY wind power as easy.
    There are always naysayers, I heard from all of them when I was making my boiler :rolleyes::wave::smoking:

Buying a recycle timer is around $100+, I made mine for $20, and it will do alot more than the standard recycle timer does.
    Co2 PPM controllers are $400-$500 dollars, I will be DIYing one in a few days with a digital readout for $140.
    Cool tubes are $100, made mine for around $10.
    They sell products like "carbo load" for more than 20x more than a bottle of blackstrap molasses, and that is what carbo-load is.
    THere are certain industries that take advantage of the consumer, by making things sound very high tech, scientific, and sophisticated, when often times the products they sell are very simple, it is just that no one takes the time to educate themselves because they just see it as something they could not possibly do and better just buy it, out of fear of screwing something up trying to DIY (and learning a little something along the way).
    Just because you say I can't, makes me that much more determined.
    And realize for $200 we are talking the turbine and tower, not the charge controller or anything else.

12. yea you show him

13. #15 5starfarmer, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2009
    If you think you can build a better photoelectric panel, go for it. Make sure to patent it too.

A DIY solar and wind setup is possible, so is screwing it completely up and frying your home's wiring or worse back to the elec. co. If you think you can buy a $50 DIY guide and setup a home wide solar setup, by all means. Props.

Me, i'd rather do it right the first time, drop the cash instead of tinkering around with DIY guides and cobbling together a setup that will "do the job" but not be very efficient, cost effective or lasts more than a few years.

Sorry about the age comment, i just assumed as most of GC is under 25yo. I'm probably a lot closer to your age bracket than most ;)

14. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Mogul/capsule base Water/bulb capsule Heat Exc. res/city water

Parts of a 1000w HPS water cooled light fixture, used the exchanger to cool 50g res.
    heat from bulb would increase res temp from 70f to 110f in 2hrs. I never did plumb it to use the hot water elswhere. Unfortunately an air lock cracked the base and there are no parts.

Have any of the old growers here seen this? Or is anyone using anything like it.
    GO INVENTORS!!!:wave: