solar powered growing

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by CCblazer, Mar 6, 2009.

1. I am considering an indoor hydrponics lab, my only issue is the electric bill, what would be easier for me to do; Buy a generator and run the lights and water pump on that, or drop some cash and buy enough solar paneling to run the whole shebang

2. #2 xshadowshooter, Mar 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2009
    Isn't it a little redundant to run lights on solar power?

3. well that would be ok except i live in a town,the shed is fenced in a backyard that nobody can see through the fence but there are houses on both sides and behind the fence so anyone on the back deck of the neighbors could possibly catch a glance and call the police, it was either solar panels or a generator but the gen. could possibly be a noise issue

4. I think he might of been joking lol. Either way, look at the prices of running a generator and installing solar panels. Both get expensive, and if it's not a huge grow it's probably not going to be worth it. Solar panels are going to run in the 10s of thousands, and gas for a generator is more expensive than electric from the company.

If you're wondering about sending up any "red flags" with the power company, don't. Police don't randomly check peoples power consumption, and the electric company only sees dollars coming their way, they won't report you. Just pay your power bill on time and you'll have nothing to worry about.

5. Im not worried about red flagging the police or anything but its not my property,its my friends and his mom wopuldnt be ok with the bill going up,a generator would be cheap but one of us wouldnt be around all the time to check on the lighting, where as solar panels would only run me 500 or so and a inverter about 100, im not really growin to sell, just that by the end of the summer i wont have to buy anymore weed from other ppl and just grow mine all year

6. Have you ever heard a generator? It's like 2 or 3 lawnmowers combined. And it would need to be filled up with fuel constantly. And solar is very expensive, so neither option is practical.

7. dude just grow outside,somewhere in the woods,thats your best bet
    dont grow at your friends moms house,have respect.

8. If she's OK with you growing, why not chip in on the electric bill?

And if she's not OK with you growing, why the hell would you grow there anyway?

9. Growing on your friends' moms' property isn't wise. But if you really have your heart set on it, here's my 2 cents-

So you can't use the electricity on the property.. Your options are generator (not very pragmatic), solar, or battery. I say go solar man! Its way more possible than you might imagine! Check this out: How to Make a Solar Power Generator for less than $300

Take your time and set up your op, anything is possible with enough planning and resources. Slap one of those solar babies on the roof, even if it might only be a simple panel that generates electricity during the day. You can use battery floros for the veggy stage, and daylight energy for flowering.

Its risky, but like I said before, you can do anything you set your mind to. Learn all the angles and solve the equation, know what I'm sayin'?

Stay one step ahead man.

10. Yeah that 5 watt solar panel wont be growing you much pot.

11. I was only being hypothetical, of course. You would need a custom-made solar device to pull off a grow. A way bigger panel.

Shit, if I had the capital I'd love to build my own solar panel generator.

12. Neither are a viable option. Pay the electric bill or go elsewhere. T5's use under 100w. you're talking less than $1/day to run it.

If you want to "go big" doing it at your friends moms house isn't really the best idea. And btw.. who calls it a "hydroponics lab" anyhow?

13. #13 Normellow, Apr 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2009
    Your going to probably need to drop about 2 to 4 grand in solar panels , batteries, charge controller and inverter. You should be able to run about 3 to 4 1000 watt lights. Also you can have a good bat charger and always keep you batteries toped off. So if there's low levels of sun light the bat charger will keep thing up to par. Start off buy getting your self a 6kw surge/ 3kw continues inverter. Run what ever lights your going to run off a good deep cycle batterie. See how long it lasts then you can do your calculations. There's allot more to this , but Im really High right now and I cant think straight .