solar power ...?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by luis650787, Jul 20, 2008.

1. well i was thinking of getting involed with a solar power sorce for a grow and i was looking at solar panels and the biggest i found was like 45 W so could some one plz help me out and explain how u can get solar pannels to make energy and save it in (batterys) or something thats hooked up to a timer so u can use it when u need it for the light cycle and that would last the light cycle and recharge and a seppret one for ventilation sence its on 24/7 or could it b hooked up 2 the same one ?
    can some one plz help me out ?

2. This is gonna cost you loads of cash to run of solar energy as the panels are very expensive. They are usually run in con with a wind genorator. How many lights are you planning to run and there wattage calculate all the equipment that you are wonting to run and the ampage wattage ect. Then you can determin the size (amount) of panels ect that you need and the amount of deep cell baterys that you will also need.

3. Tell ya what bro.... Here is my ultimate solar power solution for someone, like yourself, asking these kinda questions without any prior research in power needs or solar output.

Pick up your plants, move them outside, leave them there.... thus... you are using the fucking sun.

4. Bump to Klutter:smoking:

5. yea u can use the sun but thats only once a year during the seasion im talking about having a harvest like ever other month using solor panles so what do ya think would b a better way to not use up your home electricity ?
    investing in solor pannles
    or using a generator ?

6. A generator is going to use gasoline and I am sure its as steep where you are as it is where I am, so try to figure out how much you would go through in the Veg stage alone even if you chose the 18/6 method. (The generator should say kw/h per gallon on it to show how much and how long it will pump out power)

Electricity is the cheapest and easiest route unless you have a hookup on a some quality solar panels. You will need to bridge at least 4 45w panels just to run a decent HPS light. I wanted to do this in an RV while I was traveling the US, but it was way too expensive to start up. So I just borrowed mother natures grow light and everything worked well for what I wanted. But if you want to harvest every month, then use some good old fashioned electricity and save your green for exactly what you want out of the solar panel idea.

You could look into a small wing energy contraption and throw it on your roof or something, Ive been thinking about that, but havent looked into to it too much yet.

7. yea i was thinking about that and i was reading about the generator and wit the lil gas tank it has its only able to stay on 4 like 9 hours produse the amount of watts i need so ima have to find a way 2 make the gas tank bigger lol
    but yea i think ima just stick wit the house electricity 4 now start saving up some money then invest in some solor pannels or something
    my grow room is attatched 2 a 3 bedroom home and my area is like a room bathroom and living room/kitchin how many whats u think i can pull from there with out making it noticible ...cuz i pay $800 a month for that living space watter and electricity includid ...

8. yea lol

I just got a solar panel setup for my house

hardware, plus install etc cost 16,000 for a panel that provides 15 kilowatt hrs on a bluebird summer day max.

IE thats just enough to run 1 1000 w lamp on a 12/12 light sched if it was that sunny EVERY day.

somedays it gets only 2 kw hrs

nice thing is now I NEVER have power outages for more then 30 seconds :hello:

youd be better off building a greenhouse in a remote area in the woods

average households use around 1000w per room, more if there are utilities, washer, dryer etc.

I wouldnt run more then 3 600's at that house, because I assume you will still be using some power

9. what about instead of running 1000 watt hps, maybe a CFL grow on solar would be feasible?

im shooting for solar + wind, at-least thats my goal.

10. yea thats what i was thinking but i think ima just go for 2 400 watt lights one for veg and ome for flowering but then i was thinkimh of getting one more 4oo watt hps and just putting 2 plants under there and let them veg foe like 3-4 months and then flower and see how big of a yild id get ?...
    how much do ya think ill get ?

11. LED's and solar power would make a great team

But...you will need to supplement LED for flowering to get massive nuggs...

I saw a PBS program a few years back where some architect was redirecting sunlight thru a fiberoptic set up to provide lighting in skyscapers...gave me idea's :smoke:

12. Dude I think I saw that too... Its bad ass how you can direct light to a certain area with the right tools. I went to a friends house and he had new skylights put in that were on the other side of his house, which brought light through Mylar covered tubes and down into his kitchen. Its basically a directed natural light setup, he has a small plant under the end of the light chamber and its grabbing enough light to keep growing and looking healthy. He said it costs a couple Gs to have one installed to a home and even on over cast days it still pulls quite a bit of light in.

13. how much do u think i get if i veg 2 plants under a 400W hps for like 3-4 months ?