Solar power anyone?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Enzo$&@123, May 14, 2022.

1. Thinking of putting flex panels on my gazebo.
    Anyone have any knowledge of watts per room size or how to calculate any of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. in flower the sun has cloud cover . Not strong lighting or any at all . Herm the plants .
    Do you have batteries at well ? You need about 20 deep cycle batteries costing 60 each walmart . That should run a 400 watt led for 10 hours . Is this worth it to you ? Also the power inverter wont be cheap 500 bucks . For a true power inverter .
    In a very large grow it was cheaper to go off the grid and use a stand alone diesel generator .
    The price was about half of the utility company. Now diesel is 5.25 here its better to just use the utility company . Sorry i have no great news .

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks
    I’d rather be disappointed before the investment

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Now how solar really works . Lets say you make more elect then you use . Then the utility company has to pay you for that amount you made . So if you bought a shit load of these panels and you were in a area that had a lot of sun dessert or so on. You could make some money. How much idk ??? . Some people do it .

5. #5 Mad scientist, May 15, 2022
    Last edited: May 15, 2022
    Hi.
    Search the net for solar farms that are upgrading their panels, they usually sell the used ones off really cheap to recoup some of the losses. I have heard of prices as low as $30 a panel.
    Talk to your local golf course manager, spring time is usually when they change out their golf cart batteries for fresh ones, if you offer them slightly more than the core fee they'll probably let you take them away.
    Just make sure the batteries will hold at least 6.32 volts for more than a day and definitely measure the specific gravity of the battery solution.
    Golf cart batteries are much heavier duty than regular "deep cycle" or "marine" batteries but are only 6 volt nominal so you would need (2) in series for a 12 volt system, (4) in series for a 24 volt system( not usually recommended due to the chance of a bad individual battery taking out the other 3 in a series string).
    I recommend using either cheap batteries or used ones for your first solar project as they usually get ruined by the users unknowing first timer mistakes.

Be aware lead acid batteries off-gas hydrogen when vigorously charged so that gas will need to be vented outdoors.
    Monthly, the electrolyte solution level in the cells should be checked so the plates don't go dry.
    Those two tips may save your life and the cash in your wallet.
    Good luck!

• Like Like x 3
  6. I use solar panels on my grow shed to power fans is all, no batteries just a direct connect at 12vdc
    it was a test months back and I just left it, sun come up and the fan turn on more sun faster fans
    the fans are those 12v dc clip on from auto stores.....great fun
    modelled on a buddies solar grow using 3x 200w panels at 24v each, running fans and an old led
    and used car batteries when required they are cheaper and easy fixed or replaced

good luck

• Like Like x 2
  7. #7 Mad scientist, May 15, 2022
    Last edited: May 17, 2022
    Hi again.
    Get twice as many batteries as you'll need for your total daily watt/hour usage. You don't want to run the batteries below their 50% depth of discharge(d.o.d), preferably not below 80% state of charge(s.o.c.).
    The batteries will survive longer this way.

(4) 150 amp hour batteries in parallel (600 amp hours) at 12 volts is approx. 7200 watt hours, and can deliver approx. 3600 watt hours down to 50% dod (half full), meaning you can get 18 hours of light on a 200 watt light rig. *** sorry i was stoned when i did the math originally ;) and have corrected it.

Cloudy days will affect that number unless you wayyyy overpanel, which is usually a good idea anyways, because your solar charge controller will dial the power down to the batteries once they are full.

Oh, and I've heard of reliability issues of flex panels compared to rigid mono or poly panels so watch out.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Thanks everyone.
    I’m so fn confused at this point
    I’ll stick with the old plug in wall

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Hey Enzo, with electricity prices rising like morning wood, you may have to invest in solar eventually anyways.
    THEY are trying to bankrupt us all, so get what you can right now!
    And when they shut off your power at least you'll have a back up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Don't let it scare you, its easy once you get the hang of it. There are several alternate energy forums i browse that have very helpful folks. The average full sun in most areas is 4-5 hours per day.
    ( unless you have a sun tracking solar mount which will extend that possibly up to 11 hours).
    (3) x 250 watt panels (750 watts) x 5 hours will get you 3750 watt hours during peak.
    And off peak additional sunlight is an added bonus. *This figure is using fixed mount panels.
    Trackers are EXPENSIVE!
    Panels output the most energy when it's very cold out in full sun and the least when its boiling hot out, so take that into consideration.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I just learned my daily dose of info. Thanks Growmie

12. I power an off grid cabin with solar. It's been a fun learning experience. With a 100 watt panel hooked up to a Renogy 200 amp hour battery. Run a couple lights a small led tv and a radio.

• Like Like x 2
  13. If I was to run my showroom trailer on solar, could I run a mini split? We will be purchasing a 26’ limo/shuttle bus.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hi Q17.
    If you are going to run anything off solar i recommend getting a killa watt plug in meter and doing an energy audit of all devices that will be used. Kinda difficult with a hard wired item like a mini split but you can take volts x amps off the rating plate to get watts. Then time how long it usually runs for to get kilowatt hours.
    Example:
    240 volts x 12 amps = 2880 watts x 7 hours = roughly 20 kilowatt hrs per day.
    Also your inverter needs to be able to handle a start up surge current roughly 3-5 times what the running amperage is of the mini split. The longer the surge rating is the better. Some cheap inverters have a 3 second surge rating , good ones have 20-30 second ratings.
    HTH :)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Spoofer I'm envious, i can't wait till i get my cabin!

16. If you have sensitive electronics get a pure sine wave inverter. Most electronics don't play well with modified sine wave inverters.

17. Nice thanks for that info! Maybe we can run the portable before we can run a mini.

I do have a watt meter for my diy lights I made. And to test the manufacturers lies.

Appreciate the reply.

• Like Like x 1