Soil?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by TNhomegrown, May 10, 2016.

1. Alright guys here it is! I have 3.5cuft of garden soil, 1.5cuft of potting soil all from Kellogg's. 3cuft of peat moss, 1.5cuft of compost/manure, 2 bags of perlite, coffee grinds, bone and blood meal. What are everyone's opinions?[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. No-till thread, page one has the best soil recipe to go off of. The closer to that the better your soil will be.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Not enough perlite. My mantra has always been, "When it looks like you have too much, it's just right". Looks like you could double your amount to start to get close. *I* run about 40% perlite and some other aeration to end up close to 50% aeration.

Amendments are Ok, but snag some kelp meal, that is pretty much a 'must have', even for a first grow. Neem meal and VC are also important, but can be added as you go along. Starting a worm bin for future VC would be one of the best moves you could make right now.

Wet

• Like Like x 2
  4. Awesome. Thanks for the reply. Thought about bat guano worms and 2 more bags of perlite

5. And I've looked for keal meal and neem meal. Can't find it u less I order it but I don't have the time

6. Whut!?:whistle:

Might want to block out 10 min to order the kelp meal and work the neem in as schedule permits.:poke: Those 2 items are almost never available locally and must be ordered. About the only 2 things I'll order online.

Wet

• Like Like x 2
  7. If I wanna use fox farms ocean and perlite what would be a good ratio? Or would you recommend different?

8. Maleah's hear of people doing 40-50% perlite to how many cuft of soil they have... Correct me if I'm wrong?

9. I always*

10. Kelp meal and neem seed meal will be here Friday! Going to get more perlite today and if I can find crab shell?? And a tad bit of Epsom salt!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Quick question...is this a cost avoidance strategy (making your own medium) or are you seeking to gain improved growth/yield when compared to what's available on the market??

Only just started enjoying organic home grown and am interested in really deep diving into my operation!

12. both actually :)
    there is nothing on the market that will compete with a soil you make yourself, both in quality and in price.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Word...thanks scooby! I read the no-til thread and it makes a lot of sense. I've been using organic fox farm ocean forest so far and the mix seems to be similar to the no-til recipe minus the active humus/live worms/neem but always looking to improve and save $!!

14. "been using organic fox farm ocean forest so far and the mix seems to be similar to the no-til recipe"

Two different animals altogether. Who knows how much of or of what quality products any commercial soil manufacturer uses...

No comparison at all.

J

• Like Like x 6
  15. So why don't you make and sell your own proprietary blend? If there's "No comparison at all" then it seems there's a niche in the market to be had...just making on observation here, not trying to be rude. Maybe the fresher the better when you start off??

16. because you will have a lot more expenses if you want to go into business (marketing, storage, delivery, saleries tax...to name a few)

• Like Like x 1
  17. I hear you Scooby and understand the intricacies of what goes into marking up your product...my response was driven more by the comment "No comparison at all"!!

Thanks for all the input/responses...I look forward to trying this out soon!

18. Try a farm supply store. They often have kelpas animal feed.

• Like Like x 3