Soil watering question

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by JoGreen, Sep 23, 2013.

1. My question is this...I am using fox farms soil and my grow room temps are around 72 with a temp right at the top of the plants no more than 74 with a humidity of around 60 on average. I watered my 2 week old plants 3 days ago and the soil is still very moist but I feel like I should be watering them again since its been 3 days now. Everything I read though says not to water again until the soil is fairly dry. So should I just wait for how ever long it takes to dry up some more or should I just stick to watering them every 3 days or so?

2. i dont water until my soil is bone dry. i would wait since there is still moisture in your soil the plants will be fine, also by not watering it makes the roots stretch and search for more which is a good thing.

3. Most growers suggest waiting till your soil is pretty dry, around 2" down should be dry before watering. I usually end up watering every other day but I also don't let them go too dry. It's a habit from growing other plants as well.

But don't let it all get too dry. If the soil is really dry, watering can be a bitch as it won't absorb too easily into the soil. But you don't want to keep the soil saturated as you will run into problems like stem rot.

Some growers also go by weight. After watering properly a few times, you'll get a feel for the weight when dry and ready for watering versus watered so you'll be able to know just by how they feel.

4. Ok that's what I'll do then. Thanks alot for your help!

5. Great info! Thanks alot for the help. This is my first grow and it's going well so far but I never realized I would be this excited and worried at the same time that I don't do something wrong and end up killing them.

6. dont feel bad man, on my first grow i would spend hours just watching them grow for fear of something going wrong and just because its awesome knowing you will have something smokeable when its all said and done. best advice i can give you is to read all the stickies and if you have a question use the search function to see if anyone else has or had similar questions it will save you time on waiting on replies. sometimes these boards can be very slow.

7. I mix perlite with my soil about 50%. 

MY potted plants outdoors go about 2-3 days between watering. MY potted plants indoors go about 5 days between watering. Picking them up to feel the weight is one of the tests I do to help determine if it's time to water, along with checking for soil dryness and counting the days. If they go a couple days too many then I start looking for drainage problems. I like to add just enough water to wait a few minutes and see it start leaking out the bottom a little. I'd rather have to water more often if it dries a little too fast than to have it dry too slow.

This is what works for ME and MY plants. You might have to toy around and find what works for you.