soil vs soilless mix

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by johnjohn, Nov 24, 2010.

1. not hydro, but what are the pros and cons of doing a soil vs soilless mix?

2. soiless mix is pretty much hydroponics, there is no food avaliable in a soiless mix, unlike soil which has everything it needs in the soil (untill it is used up and u have to fertilize)
    coco is salty (made from coco nuts floating in the ocean)
    it grows a little faster then soil,
    but it has a tendency to lock out Mg.
    u no what ur plant is feeding on (cuz u add it)
    like soil it harbors pest.
    u need to trans plant when root bound (like soil)
    its hard to flush (like soil)
    its alot lighter then soil
    u have to add beneficials (unlike soil)
    it can be composted and turned into soil amendments.

3. thanks for the reply, that was informative.

I heard of coco but some people also grow in perlite, sand, and some other soil less stuff

i was just wondering about their feeding schedules and exactly what do they feed and if they get better results. I was researching the "make it rain" technique and it seems like something that should be done with a soil less mix

4. these are more true hydroponics
    ive used just perlite, its messy (like any other inert aggregate) perlite can be crushed easy, its bad to breath in, is pores, and algae loves it.

hygroton is messy to but not as easy to crush. my brother and i have puled some great harvest from a top feed system using this stuff.

i have never used sand, it holds water a little better then hygroton or perlite, but it holds less air, so u would have to aerate, add lager pebbles and such.

these u can run a top feed setup 15min on 15min off. and u should get good results, but like everything practice makes perfect. study up and ask for help when u need it

5. Keep your learning curve going..............I have had success in soil for years and am reluctant to try new methods but ...............I am giving hempy buckets a try. Read up on 'em maybe your intro to hydro as well?
    peace B

6. wow, the hempy buckets sound very interesting. thanks!