Soil vs hydro

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Ncs081684, Jan 11, 2016.

1. So I have done 8 grows all soil

I want to try hydro but concerned with the learning curve!

Is it much harder.? Do you need to pay more attention to the plants?

Any info or two cents would be great

2. Not harder in my opinion, the principle is the same, get the environment and feed right and all should go well. What sort of hydro system are you considering?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. Not sure. I want the best. What would you recommend and I can go from there.

4. #4 killset, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2016
    The hydro guys are going to say hydro, the soil guys are going to say soil.....I believe all types of growing have their place depending on the growers needs and situation. It boils down to what's best for the grower. Just pick the one you think is best for you after thoroughly researching the styles and figure your situation and needs into it, there's plenty of people in GC to help you through.

5. I'm all about soil but I agree hydro has its place and soil has its place do the one you personally feel good about

6. I would say dwc would be the easiest, I haven't used a ppm or ph meter in over a year and I bought the blue lab pens, complete wast of money but o well.

7. I've always had better results from hydro, but do grow my mothers in organic soil just so I have a few less buckets inside. I keep soil out of the house completely and I've never had mites or any other pests in my tent.

8. It's difficult to recommend one as its down to personal preference. Dwc/bubble buckets are a cheap and simple way to go. The drip system I use is also very simple to manage. Aeroponics is definitely worth a mention too but not necessarily for hydro beginners.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. I've heard about aeroponics

10. I basically want to shorten my growing time. Right now it takes me 4-5 months for a good grow and good harvest given the laws in my state and the amount of plants I can grow in my house. I've heard that hydro shortens the time. Is that true

11. Nothing is going to shorten it very much. Genetics is genetics. Couple days maybe, but not a significant shortening. Larger more intense lights can shorten it too. There again not very much though. Have you ever thought of growing smaller but still decent sized plants in a sea of green (sog) grow?. That way you can harvest more quickly. Not sure how many plants you're state laws allows though.

12. States law is 6 total 3 flowering

13. Ouch...that's why I don't care if it ever goes regulated or not. I refuse to call it legal.

Scrog and grow those plants big maybe. Make up for less harvest/ plants with size. Any kind of lighting or medium is only going to be difference of a few days.

14. You said more lights the better? Is that incorrect? I've heard of people bleaching there buds with to much light and ruining the potency. Also is it better to have more light during flowering

15. bleaching happens from being to close the the light.
    There is no time difference between the two, soil and hydro both support the plant thru its life cycle which doesn't change with style of growing, Some believe you get bigger yields with Hydro why others claim the taste and smell are better with organic soil grows, Either way its taking the same amount of time, look at your genetics for faster strains. They are out there.
    hydro_flood and drain
    Soil_ organic living soil
    imho, one if these would be the easiest way and most forgiving for a newbie.

16. bleaching is caused from having lights to close. I had a weak ass mars2 400 watt led bleach the shit out of some plants because it was to close, moved it up and it didn't bleach anymore. I'm not talking about getting crazy and going overboard. I have 1000 watts in a 2x4 flower tent w/o any bleaching because I pay attention.
    More light= larger more potent buds

17. *relatively speking.

18. Don't know what speking is. But like I said w/o going crazy.

19. something stuck behind my "a" on ma keyboard. I think it's grit or something. You young 'uns with your touch screens eh.

20. I would highly suggest going soilless before full blown hydro. Its a good transitioning medium. I went from soil to ebb and flo and had 3 shitty runs before finally turning out a decent product. Im now soilless in coco. I wish I had it to do all over again. Id still have learned hydro but only after soilless.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Grasscity Forum mobile app