soil vs hydro grow?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by 420alldaylong67, Jun 2, 2012.

1. I just start my first soil grow a little less then a month ago, i tried a grow before using just cfls and bag seed and got really crappy results for harvest. 10 out of 11 males w a tiny female maybe an 8th at harvest.

This time i used some bag seed again but got a 400w mh/hps setup. Its a stealth grow so i don't have a lot height in the box to work with about 3 feet to keep it safe from top of the plant to the light. I decided to just put it into flowering a few days ago to keep the height down. And start a scrog for when they shoot up more during bloom.

I also just got some seeds from attitude, i really want white widow but since my cousin spent almost $200 ordering ww from a seed bank and they never arrived i decided to just go w world of seeds fem afghan kush ryders auto and a free ufo fem cheese came with it. They arrived in about 10-12 days. Awesome! After this grow of bagseed which im not really excited about now ( just cant bring myself to toss em) figured i would just see it out and learn a little more from it.

After all that...my question is would a hydro setup with same strains as soil setup and same nutes be overall about the same yield? I've been becoming more interested in getting some hydro equip. Could someone w exper in both let me know?

2. First off I would recommend sticking with soil for another grow to get all of the basics down. If your temp or ph of the water in your hydro system messes up and you don't catch it quick, you're going to be stuck with root rot or worse!

Saying that.....hydro has a lot more growth than a soil system. You're feeding them nutes 24/7 and the roots are still aerated!

3. Thanks..ill use the next grow as soil and study up on hydro little by little

4. First of all, sounds like you really did your research - awesome for you.

I would start with soil as hydro can be tricky for some beginners. Not everyone, but soil is the most common sense approach - water, light, and nutrients.

Yes, you can use 'hydro' nutrients in soil too, so switching to hydro can be easy.

What I would say about the growing potential of hydro is that it tends to be better (for me anyway) because you can control the environment more and the nutrients will be able to access the plant more easily.

I use Advanced Nutrients, and it's really done wonders for my growing career.

5. Hydro requires a good deal of dedication and is full of pitfalls.

check out coco growing.

soil meets hydro.

yields with coco are significantly better than soil.

6. Thanks, i am going to look in to both hydro and coco, i can't seem to read enough of this stuff and it never gets boring.