Soil to Hydroponics

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by illusi0nzv3, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Hey guys, I have a week old seedling that I wanted to experiment with. How would I go about taking a plant out of the soil and put it into a hydroponic system and successfully have it grow? Also how would I transplant the roots of the seedling and what would I put it into?

2. What do you have the seedling in? You can wait until the seedling establishes enough root growth in the soil to be able to hold onto the soil(if that makes any sense, I'm baked right now so sorry for my explanations). So basically I would wait another week or so to let the roots grow and if you have it in a solo cup or something just wet the soil enough to let the whole clump slide out and them soak the clump in a bowl of water to gently break up the soil around the roots. Then gently rinse off the root system and plant them into the hydro system. I hope this all makes sense. Lol. if you have anymore questions let us know.

-budz

3. Thanks man. So then I would just plant the seedling into the net pot and then cover with hydroton correct?

4. I would place a layer of hydroton at the bottom first. Then add the plant and additional pellets. I have done this myself a few times, and the plant seemed to take the transplant well.

5. Awesome, thank you!

6. Transplanting from soil to hydro is possible and like said be very gentle with the new plant. The stem is the pipe line to the leaves, a very gentle hand and gentle water poured over the roots to wash away the soil. Advice on placing in the net pot is sound. I have used the Gh farm kit to put a drip system together, until the roots reach out and touch something. Was not mentioned what system you have. DWC, drip, ebb/flow. Regardless use a timer to operate the water cycle.
    Live long and prosper...............
    herb al cure

7. What should the water timer be set for?

8. That depends on what type of hydro you are running....DWC has no timer for the water as the air pump stays on constantly. Eb and Flow, drip system etc will have different setting depending on the set-up. So I guess let us know what kind of hydro you ave first.

9. #10 WhobeBoo, May 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2011
    Hi..

I transfer from soil to hydro everytime. Clones are started in FF Ocean Forest in red cups until they are 6-8 inches and have a good root system. Then they are transfer into the GH Waterfarms (see the tutorial in my signature line). I don't rinse the root ball, just carefully break the soil up a little bit. The water in the WF's has to be changed after a week due to the amount of soil in it, but I learned that the less I mess with the root ball, the better. The plants are put into a hydroton/higromite mixture.

As far as your hydro system, you will not be able to grow the plants very large due to the smallness of the system and the 3" netpots. DWC and WF's have only one plant in a 4-5 gallon container. This one is putting 4 in a five gallon bucket. Another problem with multiple plants in a single container is the roots will become entangled with each other.

IMHO - you would be better off growing a single plant in the bucket - see Rumpleforeskin's tutorial on building bubble buckets.. he grows superior weed with a huge yield. Here is a link to Rumple's tutorial http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/121335-lets-build-bubble-bucket-%2Astep-step%2A.html

Good Luck!

10. I plan to use the 3" net pots then transfer into something bigger. Thanks for the help :)

11. i just moved a purple plant from soil into a dwc hydroton. I gently washed as much soil as I could from the root ball. I then placed it in the basket and covered the roots with the medium. I then poured a watered down rooting gel onto the roots.

it had zero shock and is much better off in the water

12. Okay cool thanks man

13. Yup, I have done this many times myself also. I usually fill up a 5 gallon bucket with water and gently place the seedling with dirt on the roots into the water and gently wash the soil off the roots. If you are using a DWC system, the remaining soil on the root mass will eventually be washed to the bottom of the reservoir and can be discarded when you change your nutrient solution.

14. So how did it go, illusiOnzv3?
    I took a seedling out of soil, washed it off and put it in coco a few weeks ago. No problems and it's pumping. Not even any transplant shock. Just kept right on growing.