soil recommendations?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by squigglybears, Jan 17, 2009.

1. #1 squigglybears, Jan 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2009
    hey, just seeking some advice from anyone really who has had good results with high quality soil. Looking for a brand/kind of soil (thats available at lowes,home depot,etc) to mix with my spagnum peat moss and perlite, as well as blood/bone meal. Any advice/help would be great. :smoking:
    i found this on lowes.com, says it already has peat moss in it also. i like the fact that its organic.

2. Not familiar with that soil and can't read the bag on the photo -- does it say anywhere on the bag anything about added nutrients, feeds for xx months, anything like that? You definitely don't want added nutes.

Here is a simple formula that works well for me:

4 parts organic soil without any added nutes (Home Depot has one for about 2 bucks for a giant bag)
    3 parts sphagnum moss (again no added nutes)
    2 parts worm castings (Wally World has been selling this for about a year now)
    1 part perlite (or more if you want)
    1 part clean sand

Watch out using bone meal, it can whack your pH.

3. I don't see any reason why that soil wouldn't be ok....

4. P.S. I have 3 ladies in MG soil for 2 months now and have complete 4 grows with it, it's not as bad for me as people say it is for them...dunno why...

5. thanks alot +rep ...anyone else?

6. I use Fox Farms Ocean Forest and go 3 or 4 parts soil to 1 part pearlite.

On a few of my transplants I've also added additional worm casting and biodynamic compost.

7. Pro-mix is readily available and its $30 for 3.8ft3

8. I've not used that particular brand, but Supersoil, Kelloggs and others available at Lowe's are of good quality. People can get into trouble with some of the Miracle-gro soils with nutes added, because they tend to overwhelm the young plant. Fox Farm is also a great choice, just more expensive than others.

9. Yeah i will agree that using MG, I am real careful early with how much water I give them at one time, and even later, I use all the Foxfarm Grow-big at 1/2 and the Big Bloom at full, I ph to about 6.0. and use every other watering,...during flowering, I start Tiger Bloom at 1/2 first 2 weeks , then full , and use all solubles at full..

10. Im lazy...Fox Farm ocean forest...fantastic for PH issues( if you have PH issues with your water) Its a little expensive but you can pretty much use it out of the bag if you wanted