Soil Question

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Phytosapien, Nov 20, 2011.

1. I'm getting ready to plant my first seed. I've been doing research around the web and here's what I want to know:

Does Miracle Gro Organic Choice potting soil work? The nutrition label says it has N-P-K contents of 0.1-0.05-0.05

My issue is this: the bag claims that it contains enough nutrients for the plant for 2 months. I did not read anywhere on the bag that the nutrients were time release. The bag says that the nutrients in the mix are: composted bark, sphagnum moss and pasteurized poultry litter (chicken poo).

I'm not planting the seed I have yet, mostly because I don't want to ruin her life in the first few moments of it. A lot of places I've looked seem to talk poorly about all Miracle Gro products, but honestly, I don't have a whole lot of money too spend and now that it's approaching winter, the gardening section of Home Depot is pretty limited. I bought the Organic Choice in a pinch because it was all I could find. I also bought a bag of Miracle Gro sterile perlite.

2. foxfarms ocean soil. amazon.com or htgsupply.com

3. I guess, what I'm asking is, will the Miracle Gro work? Will it kill my seeds? I'm growing in an apartment and I don't want to draw attention by having growth media (like FFOS, which I wish I could use) delivered to the apartment office, it will draw unwanted attention. Either way, the seed has germinated and I don't have time to wait for delivery. I think I'll be potting the seed with the Organic blend after all. We'll see what happens I guess, unless someone can give me a good reason that this blend will kill/overfeed my plant.

4. As for unwanted attention comes in a box like anything else.

Will MG kill your stuff..it can and sometimes doesn't. Lots use lots have nothing but issues.

The issue is the thousands of tiny tiny golden orbs filled with nutes. There time released via watering. The problem is say some are cluster around a root and they burst and you'll never know it and your plant has some serious issues.

MG soil sucks because its the gift that never stops giving. You'll have issues then it goes away then a few weeks later you get hit with it again.

By using other soil you control the nutes not the soil.

Good luck though.

5. Thank you, I appreciate you're input. I hope I didn't seem sarcastic, I'm just want my baby to take to this soil. Thankfully, this mix doesn't have those beads you're talking about. The NPK numbers were also incredibly low, which makes me hopeful that I am working with a blank canvas. I think it might be a legitimate Organic mix. I think chicken litter takes the place of worm castings, blood meal and bat guana in a homemade mix (I think, since it's chicken "castings" essentially... not entirely sure though). I'm going to remain optimistic for now and picture myself harvesting some beautiful buds in a couple months.

6. I dont think the mg organic has the time released orbs. If you must use the mg and want extra piece of mind just fill your container and flush it a few times before planting.

7. im using kellogg cactus and palms soil (good drainage) =) i mixed in bone and blood meal not very good soil by its self need nuts added

8. Wow, I guess I'll be shopping around. So much for a one-stop-shop at Home Depot... they're very narrow in selection. To say the least, I was disappointed. I guess we'll see what happens with this mix, hopefully no parasites rode along through my bag of soil.

9. or heavy metals.

10. #11 Phytosapien, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2011
    So, I did some reading, and it turns out that Cannabis is highly cadmium tolerant. Additionally, I looked up information concerning transfer of cadmium through smoke. On average, cigarettes contained ~30x as much Cd as Marijuana Cigarettes. I don't hear about too many cigarette smokers dropping dead from cadmium poisoning, but that could just be due to the other plethora of ailments that come along with cigarettes. A Comparison of Mainstream and Sidestream Marijuana and Tobacco Cigarette Smoke Produced under Two Machine Smoking Conditions - Chemical Research in Toxicology (ACS Publications) Unfortunately, I don't know what kind of soil growing conditions the tobacco or Cannabis were grown in, but it might be in the paper somewhere.

Most of the cadmium taken up by Cannabis bioaccumulates in the roots. Here's the study: SpringerLink - Plant and Soil, Volume 256, Number 2