soil query

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Steveothenoob, Mar 24, 2007.

1. this is from grandpa's grow guide

Now fill up the peat moss pots loosely with soil en put the seed in about 1/3 “deep. Cover with soil again, water with only pH adjusted water and store at a warm and shady place till they sprout.

now my question is, im about to buy some northern light seeds from a local seed bank, I dont understand if I have to put the seed in peat moss or normal soil to begin with? grandpa's grow guide seems to say put it in both 'now fill up the peat moss pots loosely with soil' so what do i actually put in the pot? normal soil or peat moss? and when i transfer to a bigger pot do I just fill it with normal soil from the backyard?.
    and my small pot is a plastic cup with a plastic covering put has breathe holes in, will this work?

sorry for the noob questions, thanks for any help at all,
    steve.

2. Steve, don't worry about the noobee questions; that's why grass city is here IMO. I would start them off in regular potting soil free of any added nutes. Wet the soil BEFORE putting the seed in there and when the seed has popped, put it down in the soil. The bottom of the cups should have holes in it for drainage and you should put some saran wrap over the cup to keep that moisture in. You do NOT want to water it until it pokes up through the soil and even then, make sure soil has dried. Remove the saran wrap the second it pokes through the soil and then add the light and a fan.

P.S. Do NOT use soil from the backyard unless you plan to sterilize it yourself. Bringing soil in from outdoors can bring the bugs in.

3. high Vtec, thanks for simplifying everything for me, so basically I am ready now then just to buy some potting soil put the seed in and put some holes in the bottom of a plastic cup for drainage and cover the cup in the wrap, once it pops above the soil remove the wrap and add a light and fan. Seems easy enough.

The small problem I have is, I want to start now, I can get the seeds straight away, however in 2 weeks time I head 2 africa for a 2 week vacation, I dont know whether just to wait until I get back or is there something I can do to keep them watered during those 2 weeks? I feel bad leaving the plant on its own for 2 weeks and dont want it to die, at the moment im on a tight budget and cant afford to waste seeds, what do you recommend? thanks again

EDIT: saran wrap as I am aware is called cling film where I come from, is that the stuff you put around cheese etc and sandwitches to keep them fresh? and do I put tiny holes in this wrap to help breath or should i keep it air tight? thanks

steve

4. Hi Steveo

When you put the seeds in just cover them lightly and let them germinate naturally. The cling film just helps keep the moisure in, not so much about keeping the air out.

I germinated under wet kitchen roll, which i think is better 'cause you can keep an eye on them and see how they are progressing, then you know when to transplant. I put one seed in soil and never saw it again! It must have rotted away!! My fault I guess.

IMHO if you're going off to Africa for two weeks i'd wait until you get back. I found that I needed (wanted) to be around for my babies in the first couple of weeks and still look after them each day - I've currently got some nute burn so need to replace the soils and am flushing at the moment (d'huh!).

5. hey seeka, thanks for the reply!. I think I will wait until I get from Africa because 2 weeks is a long time especially when they are young. I am a little worried about the germination process, alot of people use the same method as you, the paper towel, but I once tried to germinate some bagseeds and just put them all in a glass of warm water and left them at the window sill, in the first 2 days 2 of them popped out and the rest all went to the top, the two that germinated I was suprised by, so while i was out buying some soil lights my dad threw them out not knowing what they were lol, but anyway, what I am getting at is, isnt it easier to just put them in the water and take it out when its popped out? the paper towel method seems a bit of a mess on, having to wet the towels and wont the towels dry out? thanks again...

steve

6. Steveo,

I think waiting until you come home from Africa is best too. However, they do make automatic watering systems that could keep them alive. The paper towel method is the best, I am doing it right now, have done it for a few years and it gives the best success rate.

7. ok cool, i think im gonna wait the 2 weeks, saves buying a system to automatically water it, well all i can say is thank you and hope i get more response like this in my grow journal which I will start when I begin growing in a few weeks time, thanks again